WTF?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is only the 327th time the topic has been discussed on here: try and pay some attention.

How's your Head?

The ole egg is fine. I don't think ill be partaking in a full fifth of Makers Mark again for a while though

Ad says the seller is away but he is posting here? I am confused....

Hi Dave! Need to ad an extension to my rack to hang all those chains I bought from you.

View attachment 473832
You know that is MASSIVE right?
It probably needs to be to carry that kind of weight.
Righteous!

"I have a potty mouth", not everyone is a vendor. I honestly thought it was a typo. I've seen other items crazy pricey but always thought typos or accidents.

No kidding. I've been on ebay since 1997 and never heard of such a thing.

I used to see it all the time, but not in quite awhile... they've changed the site a lot, though. Usually, their "improvements" are anything but. Good ole' FeeBay.

A little more explanation on this -
When you have a store and have hundreds of new items listed at all times then it is cheaper and smarter to never let and item end.
Each time you start a listing it counts against your number of monthly listings that you get charged for so if it runs continuously you pay once, if you end and start it once a week you pay for or five times.
Also your place in the listings search on Ebay is at least partially based on the number of an item that you have sold (that little red number near the top of the listing).
So If I run out of an item I have sold 128 of and end the listing then I start over at zero items sold when they get restocked, which really hurts sales.

Obviously this isn't an issue for somebody who sells used items or an occasional video game, etc.
I am talking about the level where we pay $2K monthly in Ebay fees and $300+ daily in postage.

I am not making fun of folks who don't already know this stuff, the average user who just buys stuff to fix saws has no reason to know until they see a $12.00 set of oil seals listed at $2012.00 and then curiosity kicks in :D

A little more explanation on this -
When you have a store and have hundreds of new items listed at all times then it is cheaper and smarter to never let and item end.
Each time you start a listing it counts against your number of monthly listings that you get charged for so if it runs continuously you pay once, if you end and start it once a week you pay for or five times.
Also your place in the listings search on Ebay is at least partially based on the number of an item that you have sold (that little red number near the top of the listing).
So If I run out of an item I have sold 128 of and end the listing then I start over at zero items sold when they get restocked, which really hurts sales.

Obviously this isn't an issue for somebody who sells used items or an occasional video game, etc.
I am talking about the level where we pay $2K monthly in Ebay fees and $300+ daily in postage.

I am not making fun of folks who don't already know this stuff, the average user who just buys stuff to fix saws has no reason to know until they see a $12.00 set of oil seals listed at $2012.00 and then curiosity kicks in :D

The only plus that I can see is that the item stays saved in customers "watched" item lists, but that is about all.

As a powerseller, etc., and all of the offers from e-bay, the cost to push the "relist" button is free for a set number
of monthly "Buy it Now" listings, like the first 200. And with monthly offers, I rarely pay any "insertion fee" to relist a "Buy it Now" item, and to start an auction, the insertion fee is 15 cents per item. Otherwise the insertion fee for
"relist" of a "Buy it Now" item is still pennies per item....

I would think that the downside on your tactic would be the "WTF" factor, and the customer thinking that you
were gouging, or trying to trick some hapless idiot, and they would avoid your store in the future.

But on the other hand, it may work the same way as it does for Trump, any publicity is good publicity.

If you are paying that much in E-bay fees, you might want to try stepping back down a tier on the e-bay store level.

No animosity at all meant in my post, I feel what you feel, fellow e-bayer......

At this point we are a gold powerseller with a premium store that has 500 free fixed listings and additional listings at .10 so we pay less than $30 in additional listing fees monthly so it doesn't make sense to jump up to Anchor store :)
Stepping down on store tier would cost us more money.
I am not complaining about the level of fees, just clarifying what level we are working with right now.

The biggest factor is that losing the number of items sold would drop our listing in the search results. The majority of buyers, scroll through the first page of results for a good price or a seller they are used to dealing with and then buy it now.
In a real world experiment we stopped and restarted a listing that we normally sold 3-4 units of daily and it took 16 days before we sold the first one on the new auction listing and sales volume never recovered completely on that item, even a year later.

I do get messages from folks asking why some item is so expensive and I just let them know what is up. More often than not they watch the item and later buy.
I am happy to talk strategy and mechanic of Ebay here. I am always interested in new and better ways to do things.

Always interesting to find guys online in a forum that I have done business with :)
Dave

Sorry, I was assuming that you were an "anchor". I have slowed up here in the last year on E-bay due to health problems,
I would really love to explore some other options over E-Bay, they are constantly working on taking a bigger slice out of the pie...

Sorry, I was assuming that you were an "anchor". I have slowed up here in the last year on E-bay due to health problems,
I would really love to explore some other options over E-Bay, they are constantly working on taking a bigger slice out of the pie...
Sorry to hear about your health issues John, Hope you're feeling better.

Back