Covering/securing firewood in bed of truck during transport.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hauled a lot of wood in my truck and trailer over the years, both have racks. I've never covered a load , never lost any wood and never caught the attention of the local law. It's not something they worry about.

DEP won't really bother you I go by them all the time on my way home I live off of 55A in Napanock .
View attachment 474038

Well guess what? I live off 55a too in Napaoch.
I dont remember seeing your truck but maybe im just missing it.

The trailer load of wood im guessing was from the steep part of lackawack hill rd whem the town cleaned up the road edge just acouple months ago? My FIL mentioned seeing a gray dodge with a trailer picking up wood but he made it sound like it was a 1500. My FIL supposedly knows two guys who were stopped on 55A by the DEP. Either way now I carry the firewood transport permits even though I dont go further than 20-30 miles.

Im not looking to put racks on in anyway and thats why I was curious about a tie down net. Stacking is 95% the problem solver but was curious about other gagets to help the other 5%.

As for the price on the dump trailer I keep looking at 14k versions. I have noticed a couple decent new ones around $5k for 10k gvwr ones. Now that I will have the bigger truck I can carry more and its more of a reason to not buy the trailer. Its getting hard to find free wood so if i did buy a trailed and it couldnt use it that would really become bothersome. I really cant see myself using it for much more but who knows.

Im not looking to put racks on in anyway and thats why I was curious about a tie down net. Stacking is 95% the problem solver but was curious about other gagets to help the other 5%.
little flimsy cargo net aint gonna do a damn thing! without side boards, I wouldn't put much more than a "heaped" load a couple inches above the bed sides....
better hope those stacks don't come apart on the road and cause an accident...could be possible jail time...
or having to stop fast...say bye bye to the back half of the cab, or at the very least the rear window

I stack the last row (tailgate) and the rest is thrown in 1' from the top, then I stack the top 1', I strap all the rows (2" ratchet straps) to keep it from moving and it helps keep the bed sides from pushing out over time.

you have stake pockets don't you? atleast make some side boards that will drop in when needed?

TE="olyman, post: 5692034, member: 10988"]lucky you.........[/QUOTE]
Mostly just common sense. Stack it right & use back roads, less traffic & slower speeds. Usually a couple straps across the back, keep bed from spreading & wood from shifting backwards.

I live on the dead end of Lackawack hill. Thats where that load is from. Tell ya what going up lackawack with about 8k trailer and gravel truck is doing 2500 rpm and about 20 mph wot . Thats one of the steppest "hills" i have ever climped.

What I would do before the trailer is buck the wood in 4 ft lengths stacked pyramid style then use ratchet straps . Heavy ones not the little 1 inch straps.
Well guess what? I live off 55a too in Napaoch.
I dont remember seeing your truck but maybe im just missing it.

The trailer load of wood im guessing was from the steep part of lackawack hill rd whem the town cleaned up the road edge just acouple months ago? My FIL mentioned seeing a gray dodge with a trailer picking up wood but he made it sound like it was a 1500. My FIL supposedly knows two guys who were stopped on 55A by the DEP. Either way now I carry the firewood transport permits even though I dont go further than 20-30 miles.

As for the price on the dump trailer I keep looking at 14k versions. I have noticed a couple decent new ones around $5k for 10k gvwr ones. Now that I will have the bigger truck I can carry more and its more of a reason to not buy the trailer. Its getting hard to find free wood so if i did buy a trailed and it couldnt use it that would really become bothersome. I really cant see myself using it for much more but who knows.

whats a full load to you?
this is my 3500 srw short bed...squats pretty good...View attachment 474069 View attachment 474070
that's about 3/4 cord of silver maple, and tongue weight of splitter is around 250 lbs.
red oak squats it almost to the bump stops

If you read his post he said no stakes on the truck. Hard to stack as high as yours without them . And 3/4 cord of red oak is about 4300 pounds. I have had 2 1/2 tons of item 4 in the bed of my truck it squats but no where near the stops.

I use a 5x10 trailer with 2' sides- only stack to height of sides. HF net and tarp. Run net ends through tarp holes and use net to hold tarp to make it easy to cover. Add a couple bungees for a little extra hold. A few minutes for safety is definitely worth someone's life

If you read his post he said no stakes on the truck. Hard to stack as high as yours without them . And 3/4 cord of red oak is about 4300 pounds. I have had 2 1/2 tons of item 4 in the bed of my truck it squats but no where near the stops.
he just said he don't want side boards on it...could just make some short sides that drop into the stake pockets when he needs them, and take them out when hes done...

do you have a short or long bed?
long beds help distribute more of the load to the front axle, the short beds have the rear axle pretty much centered in the bed, so it carries near all the weight in the bed...
my truck is the Laramie edition, so I don't know if they put softer springs in it for improved ride quality? I don't have anything to compare it to so I don't know? I know that DRW trucks have a thicker spring pack than my SRW...
I don't think I have ever bottomed it out, but it gets close...heaviest ive had is 3 yards of loam (5-6000 lbs) really wished I had a rear sway bar that day, haha

I live on the dead end of Lackawack hill. Thats where that load is ftom. Tell ya what going up lackawack with about 8k trailer and gravel truck is foing 2500 rpm and sbout 20 mph wot . Thats onenof the steppest "hills" i have ever climped.

If I remember correctly its 12% at its steapest point. Crazy that we only live a mile apart as im off twinshaven. I pull the hill now with my 1500 and a 7500lb camper and I have to lock it in first and climb at about 3-3.5k rpms. First gear is just to high for a first gear. Wont have any issues with the new truck as it will have double the torque and more than three times the payload.

Anyways it doesnt seem that there are any cheap inventions that im unaware of for covering. I may go the route of the removeable stake pockets as im not crazy about driving around with them in full time but they would be useful when carrying firewood. I plan on getting a tonneau cover so ill have to see how theyll work in conjuction with that. Thanks for the replies.

I may go the route of the removeable stake pockets as im not crazy about driving around with them in full time but they would be useful when carrying firewood
that's how I felt when I made the wood sides on mine...took em off once for maybe a week 3 years ago...been on since, but I regularly load it with bulky stuff

I have a 2004 F150 if I put side boards on I would probably break something. A full load of oak without side boards is a heck of a load by itself. If you need to haul more a trailer is the way to go. Honestly I have never seen anyone secure a pickup truck load of wood, stack it full but not so full anything can fall out.

depends on what he licenses it for.......................and what the DOT says,,,,,,
I have the understanding that the first issues for weight is what the tire is rated for and of course the tags tonnage. Then only the officer knows how he is going to handle things. They seldom harass farmers but I have heard from one of my friend that own a dealership that they keep tire weight rating at the top of the list when setting up a sale.....we don't have any licensing for slow moving and ag equip. in Nebraska......But they could be ticketed for overweight.
Not right but you seldom see overweight fines for farmers in our local papers,,unless it is trucking..

If you don't like your backwindow, or tje guy behind you, by all means don't secure your load... but if you do then stack it right and tight, then strap it down. Also a headache rack goes a long way in keeping your window in one piece. My old 1/2 ton (exwoodhauler) is missing the back window.A guy was hhelping me and threw a piece in and busted the window. My new wood hauler has a headache rack and sides. The front stack is strapped in with a 3" I believe ratchet strap. Same with the back stack. Middle 2 stacks have a 2" ratchet strap. Its all stacked to the top of the cab, tight to the sides. never have had a load shift.

Wi reg farm plates are for 12,000 lbs also dual purpose plates are 12k. Heavy farm are based on weight and are annual renewal.

Did you get the CTD or a gasser? Next time ya see me wave me down.

Will do. Got a ram 3500 big horn CTD with Aisin crew cab 8' bed srw. Had to order it as there is nothing like it anywhere, well there was two in the entire US. I got a little more than I intended but got a great deal on the truck and got kbb trade in value for my current truck. I know sooner than later we'll be upgrading to a fifth wheel and wanted to be prepared. My current travel trailer is a good workout for the 1500 but the family is expanding and the quad cab just doesnt work anymore.

I have a 2004 F150 if I put side boards on I would probably break something. A full load of oak without side boards is a heck of a load by itself. If you need to haul more a trailer is the way to go. Honestly I have never seen anyone secure a pickup truck load of wood, stack it full but not so full anything can fall out.

I hear you there about the 1500 lack of payload. Thats one of the reasons I am trading it in. Ive never seen anyone secure wood either but was curious if there was anything anyone was using that could work. I didnt really put much thought into removable racks and think that will work good but I did plan on getting a tonneau cover and think the rails may become an issue. Never had one before so may have to check a couple first.

Back