Using multi-grade oil in gas

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We ran HD30 oil in the gas @ 16:1 and for the bar oil back in the 1970's. Today I buy the two cycle specialty oil. My grandfathers 1971 McCulloch still runs like a top.

I've been out of the industry for a long time. Btw, ad hominem attacks are unprofessional.
I did some research on this and I came across a thread that quoted a 1996 Husqvarna manual that recommends SAE 30 (25:1) when 2 stroke oil is not available.

OK. Then we're talking about a twenty year old design that didn't have to meet current emissions standards. If a manual recommends SAE 30, then the saw is engineered to handle it. But current reduced muffler openings (MS460, for example), carburetor adjustment limiters, and more fuel-efficient designs (less fuel for the same power also means less oil) make for a cleaner-burning engine, but also one that is harder on lubrication (higher operating temperatures, leaner mixtures, & less oil).
So if you have a saw where the manual recommends SAE 30 oil, then I guess you'll be fine. My manuals call for two-stroke air-cooled engine oil exclusively.

I highly doubt a mdern two stroke engine to be any "revolutionary" development! Same primative priciple and if you mix your engine oil at 1:30-1:40 I highly doubt anything will ever happen, besides the known problems with residue.

When I was racing desert bikes I remember a couple of stories. Here's one, Mitch Mayes the top racer at that time ran out of fuel about 4 miles before the finish. He pushed his bike over to a motor home and got some fuel, then asked for some oil to put in the fuel. Nothing but Automatic transmission oil, so he dumped a bit in the tank, started the engine and still finished first in the race.

Another time in Australia an enduro racer took off and then seized his engine. Opps, forgot to put oil in the fuel. He had a small can of chain oil in his pack and squirted that in his tank, rocked the engine until it broke free and finished the race.

I grew up with my Dad using motor oil at 20 to 1 (used motor oil but filtered) in the outboard engines on our boats to gather bait for a living. He had to clean the plugs and combustion chambers often, but we made a living off the bait.

Two-stroke oil made for air cooled two-strokes is the way to go for a chainsaw. However, if I was in a pinch I wouldn't hesitate to use some motor oil to finish the job.

These saws are not some high output race engine.

Many believe new saws are 'high tech', 'high output' performace racers. While they utilise 'some' modern design improvements and AT systems, their is nothing high performance about them at all. They are relatively low BMEP engines that put durability and service life well before performance. I won't get many 'likes' around here for such a post but lets not kid ourselves. Ya i'll take 30wt if I have too.

The only down sides I see to using engine oil are:

1. The smoke
2. The deposits
3. It doesn't STAY mixed very well. (Like if you mixed some on Sunday and filled your saw on Saturday without vigorously shaking the can prior to fueling)

When I was racing desert bikes I remember a couple of stories. Here's one, Mitch Mayes the top racer at that time ran out of fuel about 4 miles before the finish. He pushed his bike over to a motor home and got some fuel, then asked for some oil to put in the fuel. Nothing but Automatic transmission oil, so he dumped a bit in the tank, started the engine and still finished first in the race.

Another time in Australia an enduro racer took off and then seized his engine. Opps, forgot to put oil in the fuel. He had a small can of chain oil in his pack and squirted that in his tank, rocked the engine until it broke free and finished the race.

I grew up with my Dad using motor oil at 20 to 1 (used motor oil but filtered) in the outboard engines on our boats to gather bait for a living. He had to clean the plugs and combustion chambers often, but we made a living off the bait.

Two-stroke oil made for air cooled two-strokes is the way to go for a chainsaw. However, if I was in a pinch I wouldn't hesitate to use some motor oil to finish the job.

These saws are not some high output race engine.
My friend ran ATF in his Hoodaka Combat Wombat dirt bike all the time , it never seized.

Latest posts

Back