84 K10 Engine Build

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
look like the ones to the big stud on starter should be those plus your hot wire to the battery, then the other wire(purple) should be the switch wire to the solenoid. I can walk down the hill and look at one been a while, the ones with the fusible links trace up to a junction block on the firewall?
Yes they do trace up to the fuse block. I'm ask set thanks for the offer. My head hurts now. That was easy harder than it needed to be.

make sure have plenty of room between the wires and the headers the heat will melt the coating and make the wires brittle

make sure the hot wire to the starter like dall said is clear from headers should be a clip on the frame near where the fuel pump on the side of the block would have been for it to clip under

make sure the hot wire to the starter like dall said is clear from headers should be a clip on the frame near where the fuel pump on the side of the block would have been for it to clip under
It's well trained near the oil pan. It's the other wires in more concerned with... It'll be fine...

i think he said he was gonna run them from behind
Yes but the main cable goes under the header along the oil pan... All of them are at risk from the heat. I might need to do some wrap to keep the heat down, we'll see.

they should be wrapped and as far from the headers as possible
I finished up the wires last weekend. I took about 2' of wire out of the harness on 2 of the three red wires in that pic and extended the other one by 10-12". Cleaned it up some, there's only 3 wires that come across the top of the engine to the alternator instead of 5 now. They are far enough from the headers and well trained where I dont think there will be any issues. They should be good for a shake-down. Carb goes on tonight and finish up the fuel hose to the carb, drop in the battery, add and prime the oil, install the distributor and turn the key. Looks like Im going to be moving firewood on saturday or sunday. :dancing:

About time.

OK, only ten days later than when I said I would get to it... Finished everything up last night and turned the key for the first time... AND... no fire. :rare2:

I'm going over to the neighbors as we speak to borrow a timing light. I'll throw it on and see if I'm getting any spark at #1 cylinder. If not then I have some work to do, not sure where to start in that case. If I do have spark then I'll have to verify I set the distributor on the compression stroke vs the exhaust stroke. I'm hoping for the latter.
IMG_20160117_020502560.jpg

do you have power and ground going to the distributor ?if you do it is probably the coil the distributor will have spark even if not in time

I don't seem to have any power to the distributor. I just checked the 4 wires in the plug to the distributor with the ignition on and had no power... Two wires had 0.14 or so... This sucks balls.

Check the pink wire on the drivers side of the distributor for 12V with key on. If no power you have an open circuit somewhere. You can jumper it just make sure you have a way to kill it if need be.

Check the pink wire on the drivers side of the distributor for 12V with key on. If no power you have an open circuit somewhere. You can jumper it just make sure you have a way to kill it if need be.
Thanks, that wire needed to get plugged into the hei and the pink to the spark control piggy backs onto it. I had them plugged together but was not pluged into the hei.
IMG_20160117_174021626.jpg

sounds good except the exhaust leak if you have a vacuum gauge you can dial in the carb also the one line that goes to the distributor the vacuum will fluxuate the other will be constant vacuum and will increase vacuum depending on the carb settings and timing what is your timing set at now

Latest posts

Back