Problematic MS661

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
brad im not trying or wanting to bust your balls i have read and watched your videos and posts and have gotten alot of information from you as well as the other saw builders from this site and if i needed a questioned answered id hope id get a answer or advise from anyone who was really trying to help

not really talking a build off but comparison to improve the product you are selling and trying to make a living with i could care less whos saw is faster the longevity is where it matters
Performance does matter, or the collective you wouldn't be paying to have them ported. You would be running stock saws. Right?

brad im not trying or wanting to bust your balls i have read and watched your videos and posts and have gotten alot of information from you as well as the other saw builders from this site and if i needed a questioned answered id hope id get a answer or advise from anyone who was really trying to help
I have not taken you as such. That's why we're having this amiable discussion. I thank you for that.

It might prove whose saw is really best. Especially if the saws were run head to head in something besides cookie cutting.
It might put an end to false claims, obviously staged test videos, and the ongoing childish bickering that we're all tired of.
Sounds like your hinging your bet on the fact that this squabble is over a saws performance... Me not think so.

i dont own a ported saw and i wont touch a cylinder with a grinder just to mess the cylinder up i am not a rich person or needs a ported saw to cut the firewood i cut for exercise i do not burn wood and i am not a logger or a tree cutter i like to work on saws and getting them to run again it is a hobby i enjoy i am glad for the builders who can make a living doing what they like doing with the saws

Another problem I see is most of the other builders have moved on and probably don't want to get involved in it again.
Regardless of that, one thing I've noticed was someone who has been on the site for a while posting about porting a saw that I never realized was a"builder". I'm not implying they are filling shoes or anything but maybe they are more apt to start posting about their learning's.... Just thought it was an interesting fact.

who was that marshy ?
Chainsaw Jim with his 576 XP. He didn't go crazy but did some blending and cut the squish and base flat bu didn't alter timing. He's a member that's been here since 2014 and I've never seen him post any work before. I'm not saying he's a saw builder, maybe hes just playing but his work looked professional and I thought it was refreshing to see someone new posting that stuff.

I will add that I don't think anyone that left was discouraging anyone else from posting their work.

i have seen him post information and all seems legit and informational not one to say bs

If the stories are true, even the distributor in Missouri has a room piled full of 661s that they can't fix. I can't validate this is true, but that's what another member here told me, as he's neighbors and friends with the technician there at the distributor.
Wouldn't that technician be bound by confidentiality clauses? That said, it wouldn't surprise me if it were true. However, with that many saws, I find it hard to believe they don't know exactly what the problem is, even if they
have decided they can't fix the problem/s.

A mate here who is not prone to drama queen outbursts is less than pleased with his 661 and the attempts by the dealer to get on top of the issues.

As a saw builder, does it bother you that your customers could get annoyed with a saw that fails or performs poorly through no fault of your work and for unknown reasons? Wouldn't that lead to a pretty serious potential loss for the customer and a risk to your reputation even if you did nothing wrong?

I was recently quoted AU$750 for the modding work for 661 work saws. That was a $100 premium over other saws. Not something I could justify but I wonder if the additional hundy was to cover the risks.

Well I would say that of all the guys here, The loggers would give them the toughest test. They would get the heck run out of them. Wouldn't take long to see which one couldn't take it.

one of mdavlee's 372XT's will be starting it's time on the hill in a week. not sure if it will be my go to but if it runs with or beats a stock 390 it likely will and will be run til it's death. all screws loctite, throttle cable sleeved, and main lead heat shrinked. should go it's life with just filter cleanings. maybe a kill switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back