Ever found something strange in your ashes??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blkcloud

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
This morning I was raking my coals and saw something sticking up out of the ashes.. Looked out of place so I raked it out and it's a pair of side cutters.. Bout 90% sure they are not mine since I'm not missing any... I'm thinking they had to be inside a piece of firewood.. No one ever loads the heater but me...

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 253
One time I found a splitting wedge when I went to clean out the ashes. I was raking the coals and hit something heavy. I fiddled with it for a minute before I realized what it was. Nearest I can figure I was splitting a piece and got it wedged in it. Got frustrated with it and threw it aside to finish later. I assume I eventually split some off of the sides of the piece and said good enough, it will be a good all night piece. I remember thinking to myself as I loaded the stove that one piece was heavy.

Found about 10ft of barbed wire a few days ago. Also a chainsaw engine, half melted, couple cheap scrwenches. Have also found 4 or 5 forks and spoons from my house. I have no idea how those get in the trash.

I do residential tree work so we find lots of stuff in trees. Sometimes I find things by surprise but quite often I use the wood stove to recover hardware that I know is there and 'burn it out' on purpose. I get quite a few large nails from old deer stands builds, hammock hanging hardware, etc.

Some barbwire and fence staples, that's pretty much it. Couple years back I cut a pin oak that had dark stains in the stump wood but I didn't find any hardware.

I was cleaning the ashes from my fire pit, I had been burning log scraps from my old cabin tear down I usually run a magnet thru to get all the nails etc out.
As I am pulling it around I see it wont pick up two six inch spikes,, WTF I put them aside finish my ashes.
Take the spikes to the shop bend one and realize they are copper!! Took about a year to finally figure that the guys building the cabin had stolen the spikes from the railway as there used to be a shop behind the cabin, I think the spikes were used to put the sideblocks on the telephone poles way back when. I keep them on my shop wall.
BBB

Found about 10ft of barbed wire a few days ago. Also a chainsaw engine, half melted, couple cheap scrwenches. Have also found 4 or 5 forks and spoons from my house. I have no idea how those get in the trash.
how did a chainsaw engine get in your heater???

On two different occasions on the first fire of the year when cleaning the stove for the initial burn I've found a dead wood duck. One was mummified from crawling down the chimney in the spring, the other was just freshly dead. First was a hen, second a drake.
He was in hot pursuit, she was a typical female.

Latest posts

Back