calling heatmor boys need help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skindaddy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
been going on for about 3 weeks now not consistently either but sometime I go out to load boiler and it has tripped the limit because it has got to hot. has happened about 6times that I know of. cannot figure out why one day fine next it tripped again.
checked (added) water level in tank and bladder, tightened flue nuts, auger nuts, scraped blower off vacuumed out rectangle chamber in front of blower but there was a lot of either water or humidity in there vac bag was saturated pretty bad so I thought problem was rollout device not closing off all way when door was shut letting in air and creating moisture? scraped that gasket off looks good , scraped off fire door, pump seems to be working plenty of hot water inside.
aquastat is only thing left I can assume? but burner works proper at least 50% of time?
if it was a aquastat would I be correct to assume its the one on left that tops out at 180* which it letting go past for the high temp right one to shut down at 200*?
thoughts please

Is there more wispy smoke coming out than normal indicating an air leak. If not probably the aquastat.

I have condensate water that leaks out the back at the auger cleanout sometimes, but the area by the fan has always been dry when I clean it only has fine powder. How much water have you been loosing? Hopefully nothing is leaking!

Sounds like you checked all the things I would look for. I have problems with the flap that opens with the outer door staying part open with carbon when it is warmer out. Otherwise anytime the overfire has triggered for me has been something I did that caused it.

I keep the caulk maintained around the unit edges. Not sure if air could leak in there and cause problems though. It would have to go through the sand.

take the fan and flapper off (one nut on each side of the fan) and make sure the flapper is clean and working freely. it works on gravity, and it would make sense if it only hung up once in a while.

i dont think ive been losing water going to check that compartment for moisture in a couple days just did all this sat. sometimes i get a whisp once in awhile , i cannot think or find where it would leak to cause prob.
i'm most certain it only does it when calling for heat ,then causes overheat.
is there a way to test the aquastats?
cleaned flapper not much on there.

speaking of the rollout device need to figure out a mod for it to actually seal and maybe manually close before door or something. never liked it.

i've had a Heatmor for about 10 yrs. The only times it ever overheated was when the flapper stuck, or the anti rollout was held partially open by ash or creosote or something.
Except when I forgot to replace cover on ash auger tube. (dumb)

i dont think ive been losing water going to check that compartment for moisture in a couple days just did all this sat. sometimes i get a whisp once in awhile , i cannot think or find where it would leak to cause prob.
i'm most certain it only does it when calling for heat ,then causes overheat.
is there a way to test the aquastats?
cleaned flapper not much on there.

speaking of the rollout device need to figure out a mod for it to actually seal and maybe manually close before door or something. never liked it.
put a metal bucket over the flue and see were the smoke leaks out

did the bucket thing came up with nothing, took blower off to check it again had moisture around tubing that flapper rides on . i dont believe its leaking around the gasket around the fan though thick and tight as can be, flapper is laying flat.
i even shoved a rag in the rollout device to block off air still getting a little.
about to give in.

Dont give in just yet, my heatmore is 10 years old and the high aquastat has stuck on me only when i first start it for the season for the last few. There is (on mine anyway) another dial under the cover this dial is the temp range mine will climb to 190 and shut off. Take another look the aquastat is a easily replaceable item the temp probe could have mineral buildup and cause unfair readings.. I have it written on my door now to replace the high side aquastat when i shut it down in June. Like others have mentioned the flapper behind the blower is a good place to get hung up..

that's it the flapper is not stuck, not an build up on it.
worse part is now that I was going all over it again last night , it seems to be worse and almost non stop wisp of smoke .
this morn I duct taped the front creases outside to try to slow,to see what happens ,but then I had to leave.
got rag stuffed in ARD don't think its that.
guess I will have to shut down for awhile and put some rtv sili on blower gasket as I don't have one on hand.

anyone ever seen that gasket material in bulk to cut your own?cannot find anything like it on internet.
really sucks heatmor doesn't have parts on the 2016 INTERNET!! or a simple dealer LOCATOR!

Sounds like it's the aquastat. They are not hard to change. I believe they have a dry well that won't leak any water when changing. I got a spare last year just in case, but am still on the original after 9 years.

Latest posts

Back