Is a hopup/rebuild worth it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AIM

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Ok folks I have a pretty clean Stihl 064 that is in need of a rebuild. On top of a rebuild i am thinking about having one of you guys that tweak em. tweak it. I would guess the normal muff mod. Porting? or whatever it is you guys do to hop em up a bit.
I want a dead reliable firewood saw that I can run a 36" bar on and cut with authority. I'm curious what all this costs to have done? A new saw that will do what I want can be had in the $750 range. Can the hop up be done cheap enough to beat the cost of a new unit?
Can anybody here chime in on cost averages? Benefits? etc.

Jred 2188 @$875 is still well above that $750 budget. 7910 for $750 is an everyday price but that is pho... Would still need a 36" bar which will run in the $100 range for a quality bar.

Rebuild the 064 if it's nice enough that it won't eat you up in parts. 66 cylinder and dual port cover will get you a solid saw for the cheapest.

Trade the 64 in on a new saw and you could j just make your budget

OK I was using a 36" as more of an example than a definite. Lets say a 30" bar. More of the point is I have this weak 064 that needs a rebuild. It would be cool to have it hopped up like many guys are doing. What would this cost? If it's to much I would likely just sell it and go grab a new saw but if it can be done cheaper and I can be convinced it would be better I will ship the saw to somebody.
BTW I have been told by a few people that have actually ran them that the Husky 365 is a screamer that can handle a 36".

365 is a good 24" saw. Maybe 32" in softwood. 7910 is at its limit with a 32" in hardwood and a 7910 is about 3 steps above a 365

Not to rain on your parade, but be sure to check the PTO side bearing on the saw before you get to involved. I have seen some that the bearing would turn in the case. I have not seen enough to know if this is a problem with this saw, but it would not hurt to check. Tom

A 365 will not pull a 36" bar...period. I have a 365 with a 372 top end on it and would hesitate to put a 28" bar on it without it wearing skip chain.

Not to rain on your parade, but be sure to check the PTO side bearing on the saw before you get to involved. I have seen some that the bearing would turn in the case. I have not seen enough to know if this is a problem with this saw, but it would not hurt to check. Tom
I have seen this in the 064 as well.

Plenty of 066, 064 have been through my shop with mix matched cases for just that reason

Ok guys sorry this turned into a what bar will work thread... Back to the cost of a rebuild hop up?

Back