Is a hopup/rebuild worth it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok guys sorry this turned into a what bar will work thread... Back to the cost of a rebuild hop up?
Recap...$300-400 for porting/rebuild. Plus parts. $150 for just a rebuild.

If your going to pay for porting... Pay for a complete rebuild including new bearings using OEM parts. That means you'll have $100 in just bearings and gasket set. I would also do all rubber components and most likely a new piston so there goes another $150.

Pretty easy to hit $400-450 just rebuilding an 064/066 if you do it right to minimize future repair needs

That would get you as close to a new saw as possible that will perform for years with just routine maintenance

Jred 2188 @$875 is still well above that $750 budget. 7910 for $750 is an everyday price but that is pho... Would still need a 36" bar which will run in the $100 range for a quality bar.

Rebuild the 064 if it's nice enough that it won't eat you up in parts. 66 cylinder and dual port cover will get you a solid saw for the cheapest.

Trade the 64 in on a new saw and you could j just make your budget

Good luck finding a new saw for 750. Maybe a piltz race saw

a nice rebuilt 064 is a beautiful thing to have and behold, I would take it over any other saw mentioned in this thread, and it will last a long time giving you smiles every time you run it
Dave
except if your a pansy like me...i cant stand running any of the old rubber A/V saws for any length of time

Sounds to me like it will get to close to the cost of a new saw. Likely just do a trade in walk out with a new saw.

Sounds to me like it will get to close to the cost of a new saw. Likely just do a trade in walk out with a new saw.
Which of the NEW saws from your signature would you recommend :) :dancing::laughing:

a new EPA compliant saw will never be the equal of a ported 064 in many ways, unless we are talking dealership salesman commission then a new saw wins hands down
:happy::innocent::lol:

i avoid poulans like the plague! too many vibes for me to even run them for tuning purposes
One of my clients is a spring manufacturer, I wonder if we could build spring AV retrofit kits for the 064 and other high vibe saws :)
I talked to them about making upgraded pawl springs for the 030/31/32. They were willing and the unit cost was tiny but the number of units to recoup the setup was huge to me at the time.
Dave

Which of the NEW saws from your signature would you recommend :) :dancing::laughing:

a new EPA compliant saw will never be the equal of a ported 064 in many ways, unless we are talking dealership salesman commission then a new saw wins hands down
:happy::innocent::lol:
I hate epa. No wait I like the epa saws. They are cheep if the person selling it can't get it started when they say it runs

One of my clients is a spring manufacturer, I wonder if we could build spring AV retrofit kits for the 064 and other high vibe saws :)
I talked to them about making upgraded pawl springs for the 030/31/32. They were willing and the unit cost was tiny but the number of units to recoup the setup was huge to me at the time.
Dave
if there was a way to convert the old 064/066/660 to spring A/V and it be even remotely close to the new saws coming out, you would have a winner. I'm thinking it would easily be worth $50-75 for a complete kit. you get them made and wholesale em to me...i'll take 30 kits to start.

Which of the NEW saws from your signature would you recommend :):dancing::laughing:

That's kind of my point slim.
It's time to do something with my saws. They heat my house so I sorta need good running reliable saws. All of my saws are older models and although I try to keep them up they all have issues so maybe It's time to start upgrading or rebuilding to like new or better condition.

My husky 55 with an 18" is a GREAT saw that I use 90% of the time but muffler keeps coming loose.(like 3-4 times each season) (just ordered a new muffler and bolts)
More of an annoyance than a problem.

Husky 45 is gone I just haven't removed from signature.

My 390 with a 25" is actually a rejugged and rebuilt 310 that still doesn't run good. rebuilder says I need a new carb and for lack of a better idea I'm gonna order one once I figure out which one to order.

And my 064 needs an overhaul.

My goal is to have a 3 saw deal that uses an 18" - 25" - and 30" or longer

Either way, have the 064 rebuilt. One of the best saws in power to weight that's graced this earth.
Another saw that can be found decently priced (if you decide not to fool with 064), is an Echo cs8000. Good saws that are built well. I don't believe I would buy one for cutting 36" wood all day every day, but would most likely fit the bill for you.

having searched without much luck, could you explain this mod please? I am contemplating a 36" bar but it currently can't oil more than 32". Thanks.
just grinding the piston at a steeper angle is an increase in oil flow. jar944 is the one that did it...try searching for post by him and it should come up.

Attachments

• dolmar oil pump 1.jpg
    dolmar oil pump 1.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 23
  • dolmar oil pump 2.jpg
    dolmar oil pump 2.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 22
Which of the NEW saws from your signature would you recommend :):dancing::laughing:

That's kind of my point slim.
It's time to do something with my saws. They heat my house so I sorta need good running reliable saws. All of my saws are older models and although I try to keep them up they all have issues so maybe It's time to start upgrading or rebuilding to like new or better condition.

My husky 55 with an 18" is a GREAT saw that I use 90% of the time but muffler keeps coming loose.(like 3-4 times each season) (just ordered a new muffler and bolts)
More of an annoyance than a problem.

Husky 45 is gone I just haven't removed from signature.

My 390 with a 25" is actually a rejugged and rebuilt 310 that still doesn't run good. rebuilder says I need a new carb and for lack of a better idea I'm gonna order one once I figure out which one to order.

And my 064 needs an overhaul.

My goal is to have a 3 saw deal that uses an 18" - 25" - and 30" or longer

Do you really need to have a rebuild kit put into the carb on the 310/390? Not sure there is a need for a new carb, other than a few more $$ to the saw shop. I have one of those that runs very well and is still the saw I use most often. As you can see from my signature, I have a modded 066. I bought the saw new in 2001 and have Bradd mod it a few years ago. His work made a lot of difference in what was already a very strong saw - it is now a monster. I would recommend the rebuild and mod as a way to have more years with the saw.

Hal

Latest posts

Back