Tree work credit card scam

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My first post here. I was reading this thread just the other day and yesterday I received a text from this scam. The guy who contacted me is deaf and has lung cancer. Said he bought the house for his mom and wants trees trimmed around the house. I qouted him 1200 without looking at the job and he said great. He wanted to make a 800.00 deposit and wanted to know which merchant I use for CC transactions. I do not take CC for payment. This must somehow be a CC scam.

My first post here. I was reading this thread just the other day and yesterday I received a text from this scam. The guy who contacted me is deaf and has lung cancer. Said he bought the house for his mom and wants trees trimmed around the house. I qouted him 1200 without looking at the job and he said great. He wanted to make a 800.00 deposit and wanted to know which merchant I use for CC transactions. I do not take CC for payment. This must somehow be a CC scam.
I don't think anyone has taken it as far as you yet. After hearing that I wonder if they are trying to get bank info. Ask him how he plans on making a deposit.

I don't think anyone has taken it as far as you yet. After hearing that I wonder if they are trying to get bank info. Ask him how he plans on making a deposit.
I just sent hima text saying I use Square for CC processing . We'll see what happens. Things have got real slow here so I put a add on Craiglist and this happens. When will I learn:crazy:

When this thing happens...I always reply that " I'm out on patrol working my other job as I'm with the Sherriff's office also...contact me later and we'll talk ".....that usually shuts this crap down.

I'd be tempted to take the card # if he'll text or email it to you (don't run it!) and give it to local law enforcement of call the CC company to ask if it is a stollen #.

Now he wants my address so the ex owner of the house can send me a permit. I'm not sure what that means ,no permits needed in maine except in shoreland zoning . Definetely not giving him my address , maybe send a bogus one and see what happens.

Y
Now he wants my address so the ex owner of the house can send me a permit. I'm not sure what that means ,no permits needed in maine except in shoreland zoning . Definetely not giving him my address , maybe send a bogus one and see what happens.
Yes! This is what I'm talking about. Keep up the vigilanty detective work by golly!

Here's the game:

I'm a scammer. I want you to do job. It's a real tree at a real house that is for sale. I'm purchasing it and want you to do the tree work but can never meet you in person.

Give you a bunch of excuses as to why I have to pay by mail or over the phone.
We'll set it up and everything will seem normal.
Here's the scam.
When it's time to pay you I will suddenly remember that I have to pay a fee/balance/payment to the "home seller" to finish the house deal

Since I'm incapacitated I'll ask you if I can over pay you (the tree is $800 bit I owe 2000. Let me send u 2800 and you pass the 2000$ along for me.)

You'll get the check, take your cut, mail/deliver/deposit the other persons cut.

Week will pass and then the check will bounce or the card will come back bad and now u owe $2800 to someone.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Im in Sydney Aus, got this one via email yesterday... didnt respond

Hello,

Happy new year!! am Scott Wallace,I have just moved into the area,and i want the tree in my backyard cut down and safely removed in my just acquired 3 bed room house.Also i would like to know if you accept credit card for payment..Reply me if you are available for the work.

Thanks

Scott

NOTE: Response back via email is preferable.

I'd follow up with the lead it may be legit . Technology and social media has made some people down write anti social. Most people don't want to talk anymore they want to push buttons .

Yeah I'd reply about looking at the tree and just ignore the cc part or say no just to see if it is a good lead. Can you easily search real estate transfers to see if he does own the house he wants you to visit?

Or ask if you can call. If he says no because he has lung cancer you can then drop it!

Yeah ok, I did reply cos whats the harm hey. No response.

Havn't been on here in some time and this post hits my eyes! I get this text all the time, the wording of the text sets off all kinds of scam so I have never fallen for it. I do respond and these are my replies, Can you get the heroin I asked you for or not? Also that bomb you plan to blow up at the democratic convention is not the smartest idea, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

For the scam of I will send you a check for x amount, I am adding 400 the inconvienience and my partner will pick it up next week what is your name and address, I respond thank you for being so kind I really needed the money, Please make check out to barry Obamamy 200 pennsylvania ave district of columbia. I hope home land security tracks this stuff and comes after me and the originatore of the scam.

I have had this text several times as well. I have been also getting calls from different 1 877 numbers from a chick named Ashley that wants to know if I want tons of storm damage work for insurance companies.......

Back