Does anyone make a pole saw less than 6' long?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cvcook

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Looking for a pole saw less than 6' long for reaching up in small trees when they're too small to climb

Fred Marvin makes a 4' pole, and I imagine that Jameson does also. These poles are typically sold with the Big Shot as a package.

I have to admit I don't see a need for a pile saw less than 6'. If you can't reach it with a hand saw a 6' pile isn't going to be too short.
I beg to differ, well I beg for lots of things I don't get. I recently bought a Poulan pole saw/weed wacker combo package from Tractor Supply at less than 6' with a 3 ft extension. The 6 ft unit works nice in tight places where you can't get 2 hands in to work or a hand saw. Cutting shrubbery or thinning hedges is what I bought it for and it works the nuts on Lilac bushes too. Also saves my back a lot of bending down. I use it to thin out along my field where small pine trees are crowding their way in or cutting back over hanging limbs that knock my hat off when I'm on the tractor. I end up using the pole saw more than the weed whacker but it's a good unit for the price.

The Stihl PP800 has a small section that can be removed and used alone. Its about 5" and incredibly light.
They also make a half sized version for in tree use, the PP600

Theres also the Silky Katanaboy

The Longboy 360 from Silky is a folding telescoping pole saw that extends to 12 feet. Super-lightweight (only 4.3lb) and extremely compact (length of only 4.8 feet when poles are stored), it easily fits in the trunk of any car.

A 4' pole is good for bucket work too. Our company has one. One of the climbers has several 3' poles. Not sure where he got them, maybe he cut 6' poles in half and added ferrules.

I have one on a echo weed eater that has a split shaft.. I used to carry it on my tractor when bushoging to cut over hanging limbs

If you do happen to buy the wicked one above please post a review here or somewhere and let us know been thinking about that one for a while. Good luck! Personally what I do for the situation you describe is I have a shortened Jamison pole with a Fano mondo blade on it.

If you do happen to buy the wicked one above please post a review here or somewhere and let us know been thinking about that one for a while. Good luck! Personally what I do for the situation you describe is I have a shortened Jamison pole with a Fano mondo blade on it.
I just ordered one so I will let you know how it goes!

We always called them birdy poles. I rember saying tie me on a birdie pole, get me the birdie pole. they were broken spruce poles that were cut down but they had a purpose.

Closet dowel is what I use for hand saw on a pole. Its less headache for me to have saw and pruner on different sticks. Of course, you're wanting shorter.... I am a huge fan of the fiskars stick pruner as well. Its nice n light and has a pull on the end and the middle of the stick, pivoting head, and will cut pretty decent size braches. I find my self using that for thinking shrubbery at ground level, getting into blackberry without breaking skin and pruning anything overhead.

Back