chinmy damper turnen question.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quit drinking a while back. I guess the reason I ask is when the damper is closed to the back the fire starts to woof unlike closing to the front. Maybe its the wood I have been burning, some of its a bit damp and it sounds like I threw a hand full of snakes in the stove as they hiss so much.
Should I have fit the damper going left to right rather than back to front maybe

Did you lube the damper? Most dampers need a lot of lubrication. I'd pull the section of pipe above the damper off and pour at least a quart in but don't be afraid to pour up to 5 quarts in. 50 weight works well. If you have a hot fire going even better. The heat helps the oil work all the squeaks out.

Did you lube the damper? Most dampers need a lot of lubrication. I'd pull the section of pipe above the damper off and pour at least a quart in but don't be afraid to pour up to 5 quarts in. 50 weight works well. If you have a hot fire going even better. The heat helps the oil work all the squeaks out.
I really don't think I have a problem with lubrication, I think the used drain oil dripper I have running into the stove will help with that. Do you think the oil burning could cause lack of liberation By burning the damper lubricant?

Quit drinking a while back. I guess the reason I ask is when the damper is closed to the back the fire starts to woof unlike closing to the front. Maybe its the wood I have been burning, some of its a bit damp and it sounds like I threw a hand full of snakes in the stove as they hiss so much.
Should I have fit the damper going left to right rather than back to front maybe
throw a bald eagle on there...it will take care of the snakes

Thank you mga I believe you may have solved my dilemma. Although some of the other replies have made me come to the conclusion that I better look more into the other maintenance issues I may have been ignoring. Thank you all for your replies and any more issues I may be missing I greatly appreciate your support and help.

There is the right way to turn the damper... there is also the left way...
I drink beer using my right hand... so if I have a beer in my right, I turn the damper the left way.
However, I smoke using my left hand... so if I have a smoke in my left, I turn the damper the right way.
A conundrum arises when I'm both drinking and smoking... in that case, I just yell at the wife to turn the damper.
I'm not not sure which way she turns it??
I should likely be yelling at her to do it all the time... according to her, I do everything the wrong way anyway.

I really need to figure out how to get that woman to bring me more beer and smokes... I can't repeat on this board what she says when I yell at her to do that... unless I wanna' spend a few days at Banned Camp.

Thank you mga I believe you may have solved my dilemma. Although some of the other replies have made me come to the conclusion that I better look more into the other maintenance issues I may have been ignoring. Thank you all for your replies and any more issues I may be missing I greatly appreciate your support and help.

no problem. in case you have a damper that completely spins around, I didn't want you going into a loop.:laughing:

There is the right way to turn the damper... there is also the left way...
I drink beer using my right hand... so if I have a beer in my right, I turn the damper the left way.
However, I smoke using my left hand... so if I have a smoke in my left, I turn the damper the right way.
A conundrum arises when I'm both drinking and smoking... in that case, I just yell at the wife to turn the damper.
I'm not not sure which way she turns it??
I should likely be yelling at her to do it all the time... according to her, I do everything the wrong way anyway.

I really need to figure out how to get that woman to bring me more beer and smokes... I can't repeat on this board what she says when I yell at her to do that... unless I wanna' spend a few days at Banned Camp.
I can't drink beer any more, but i do smoke the left handed cigarette. So I will have to go with that option. Thank you again.

left handed cigarettes - always twist the ends counterclockwise unless your south of the equator, then twist clockwise. Or that might be the rotation of the toilet water. I get confused after my meds sometimes.

Back