just an fyi with fuel mix

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you accidentally shook the gas can, and took the cap off on a hot, dry day all of your hard work would evaporate off. If the gas can is not sealed up, and it goes through a lot of the heating up and cooling down cycles, the amount of water would increase more rapidly. That's a good reason to not leave the can vented to the open air during the winter.

On a real cold day there is probably ice in the bottom that can be seperated from the liquid gasoline. The ethanol if present will make water much more soluble in gasoline and the ice tactic might not work well.

Wouldn't the vapor pressure of the gasoline be more than the vapor pressure of the water in this scenario. It has been a while since I reviewed how the partial pressures would apply.

I am kind of with post 12 sorry to hear your Stihl ms170 is way more problematic than the Husqvarna 36 I start and use a little perhaps once a year and change out the gas every year or two.

The amount of water droplets (humidity) in the air inside the can is a fixed amount, depending on the humidity and temperature of the air when it was introduced to the can. We are assuming a can that is closed tightly. For condensation to form, the temperature has to drop to below the dew point. A given volume of warm air can hold more water than the same volume of cold air, because the air molecules are further apart. When the temperature reaches the dew point, the colder air can't hold all of the water that it was holding while it was warm, and some of it is released. The excess water eventually sinks to the bottom of the gasoline, because its specific gravity is greater than that of the volatile gasoline. Now, it's pretty much trapped there. If you don't mix it back up or shake the can, and you open the cap on a hot, humid day... you'll introduce more air/water and if the temperature drops below the dew point, again, the cycle will be repeated. That's the only way the accumulated water can rise. If you spent all of your time doing this, you would get quite a bit of water building up, but the air volume is slowly decreasing. So, it would take longer and longer to get any more water building up. With a half full 5 gallon can, you probably wouldn't live long enough to get very much water built up.

If you accidentally shook the gas can, and took the cap off on a hot, dry day all of your hard work would evaporate off. If the gas can is not sealed up, and it goes through a lot of the heating up and cooling down cycles, the amount of water would increase more rapidly. That's a good reason to not leave the can vented to the open air during the winter.

SO WE KINDA SORTA AGREE THEN ..?

I have left partly filled and full cans of gas both metal and plastic at my trapping for over a year. Winter temps -40 summer as high as plus 90f and strained it threw a fine screened funnel and never a drop of water.
If the water from the glaciers melting never leaves the earth and the oceans rise then why are the Great Lakes at an all time low?

Sorry I know this is not the topic of the thread and I apologise but it was a thought that crossed my mind last night.
again I apologise and will refrain from commenting on this subject and will stick to chain saw related subjects.
Kash

It isn't going anywhere. It stays right here on the planet. It's a closed system, my friend. It's either in the ocean, the air, or underground or bound up with other molecules. It doesn't hop on a UFO with Bigfoot and Elvis and go for a ride to Pluto. When the glaciers melt, the oceans rise.

Closed system. . . . Astronauts, space rockets, urine in space.

Thanks for reminder 044 would not run last time I tryed to use it. New fuel and running great thanks for
a good' reminder can happen to any of us. I have been caught with bad plug too. Saw would fire but not run more than a few seconds. Installed new plug and ran great.

On a real cold day there is probably ice in the bottom that can be seperated from the liquid gasoline. The ethanol if present will make water much more soluble in gasoline and the ice tactic might not work well.

Wouldn't the vapor pressure of the gasoline be more than the vapor pressure of the water in this scenario. It has been a while since I reviewed how the partial pressures would apply.

I am kind of with post 12 sorry to hear your Stihl ms170 is way more problematic than the Husqvarna 36 I start and use a little perhaps once a year and change out the gas every year or two.
Ms 170 sucks in general I'd rather have a wild thing

Back