Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thought I would post a couple pics of the p/c of the Poulan Pro 655bp. I know a lot of you guys already own one of these saws. And know whats what with these. I am new to the game. Wanted one of these for a long time. I acquired this 655 from fellow member (rdunshee) Bob, this winter. I know Bob has pretty much gone over this saw, so I am not gonna rebuild carb, and do most things I would with a new to me saw. ;)

I am swapping a few parts, just because...lol I will be adding full wrap handle, dual large spikes, K&N air filter setup, some decals etc. I pulled the cyl, to see for myself fist hand whats inside these beasts. This saw clearly has the "boost port" and windowed piston, I guess you call it, with thick rings. And all looks good there! It is my understanding that the later Pioneer version of what would become this saw, and early Poulan version, had no "bp", no window on piston and thin rings. Soon they made some changes, to what is on this saw now.

Most guys say the only way to tell if they are any "faster" or whatever is with a stop watch. But in normal cutting conditions, would be hard pressed to tell.
Be a while till I get it into wood, but am anxious to do so. I have had the opportunity to run several other members 655's, so I know what to expect. :dancing:

Couple pics of the boost port
655bp%20009_zpswdlxjcjt.jpg

655bp%20005_zpsp2lrtdgf.jpg

Piston
655bp%20001_zps5wfzzog0.jpg

655bp%20004_zpspiuw3344.jpg

Cyl. port "bump" from out side.
655bp%20006_zpsjh9plre0.jpg

655bp%20007_zpscelqy4zp.jpg

Will take more pics etc, further along I get with it, and hopefully a video of it actually cutting wood...LOL

Gregg,

Kevin, As I recall you had a problem similar to that, at the last Poulan GTG we had. :D Thanks to Gary's first aide kit & some electrical tape, the show went on.. LOL

Gregg,

Yep still got the scar from that one.

This cut was different as it was from just grazing a razor sharp special chain I made.

Think goodness not like the one at the gtg.

I am swapping a few parts, just because...lol

K&N Filter setup...

Gregg,

Where in the world can you find these at?!?[emoji14]
All I've been able to come across is what i think is the demo saw filter cover with the 4 holes in it. Heard the kits were fairly plentiful about 5+ years ago when someone on AS had like 17 of them. Haha

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

Where in the world can you find these at?!?[emoji14]
All I've been able to come across is what i think is the demo saw filter cover with the 4 holes in it. Heard the kits were fairly plentiful about 5+ years ago when someone on AS had like 17 of them. Haha

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

Truth be told.....I just kinda accidentally stumbled onto it. I have been doing searches on the 655 and come across a site more or less dedicated to older saws. I think it was called "This old chainsaw". Guy just refurbs and likes to run older chainsaws. He has some parts available once in awhile I guess.
Just so happened he had a NEW still in package K&N filter setup. Oh, I PAID for it believe me! But when unobtainable becomes obtainable, better jump on it. Blind pig gets an acorn once in while.

KampN_zpsxrtyhfmy.jpg

KampN3_zpsclc06cdo.jpg

Gregg,

Great pics Gregg. Thanks for sharing those.

Don't forget your beer report as well.

LOL, Beer is still aging & carbonating, in the bottle, I hope. Got 1 more week to go, before chilling and giving it a test. I'm hoping for something at least drinkable, but fearing it will be flat and usable as a used chainsaw cleaner/polish. :eek:

Gregg,:givebeer:

Gregg, you're right on the unobtainable statement. Too often I've left an ad only to try and come back and grab whatever it was that I wanted. Not anymore: when I see it and have the funds, I grab it. I've never seen nor run one of these, the Poulan Pro 655 BP, but now want one badly. How long did you search before you found the K&N filter setup? Bob, redunshee, is a great guy too. Lastly, thanks for the pics and information. I had no idea that BP means boost port. Max.

Gregg, great pics. I didn't tear it apart like you did but did install a new manual oiler pump and new oil pump. Happy to see it have a good home.

Bob, I'm glad you did that also.....Means I don't have to. LOL

Gregg, you're right on the unobtainable statement. Too often I've left an ad only to try and come back and grab whatever it was that I wanted. Not anymore: when I see it and have the funds, I grab it. I've never seen nor run one of these, the Poulan Pro 655 BP, but now want one badly. How long did you search before you found the K&N filter setup? Bob, redunshee, is a great guy too. Lastly, thanks for the pics and information. I had no idea that BP means boost port. Max.

I have only been on the lookout for the 655 stuff the last couple weeks. Seeing how I actually have one now. Like you stated, I have seen the air filter setup before, lotta guys added them to their saws. But I had no reason to try buy one back then. Being that I am a Poulan lover, should have figured I would eventually find a 655 to call my own. :)

Gregg,

Nice saw Gregg.

I like to see the inside of those. I count myself fortunate to have picked up an very low hours early grey-handled version. I'll likely never run it outside of a GTG I reckon - regretfully. I noticed the cylinder on mine has the bulge that would indicate the BP, although it is not labelled. A period of transition.

Haven't started it in over a season. I might add, I have never been punished by kickback on a saw like that before. I would recommend a D-Handle and absolute use of the decompression if you plan on firing it up regularly. That saw will hand you your lunch like nothing.

Might have to pull the girl off of the shelf today. Keep those picks coming.

I never would have found that part. MaybevI should try to trade for two S25 DA diaphragm's.

Bob
Don't throw your old S25s diaphragms away, & the next time I get down there I will pick them up & rebuild them.

Most can be reused, depending on how they crimped the button...even the ones that look like they exploded LOL

image.jpeg

Bob
Don't throw your old S25s diaphragms away, & the next time I get down there I will pick them up & rebuild them.

Most can be reused, depending on how they crimped the button...even the ones that look like they exploded LOL

View attachment 482824
Great. I have two or three where the button just sounds around and is very loose.

I got my azz handed to me on shipping charges this weekend. USPS and Fed Ex more than doubled their rate.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

I got my azz handed to me on shipping charges this weekend. USPS and Fed Ex more than doubled their rate.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

I'm seeing some ridiculous shipping rates listed on eBay.

---Seriously? Shipping is 2.5 times the BIN price for a parts saw PHO? A $20.00 small parts saw costs $50.00 to ship?---

That started (I think) well before the USPS rate increase, back when eBay decided to take a cut of the shipping charges and made changes to the shipping calculator. The experienced sellers will know more about that than me.

Yeah I've decided not to sell one of my 3400's and one of my red 3.7's because it's gonna cost me at least $40 to ship 'em.

Back