Aw crap.........

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1Alpha1

100% USDA Certified Abnormality-Free.
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I was talking to one of my dad's neighbors today, and he mentioned that he had heard me running my dad's snow blower a few days ago, when we didn't have any snow.

I told him that I had re-tensioned the auger and drive belt a bit, and was testing them. He then asked if I had a leaf blower as well? I told him that I did, and I use it to clean off the garage floor as well as his RV bldg. floor. He said that he had thought that he had heard a two-stroke engine running.

He then said that he wanted to buy a chainsaw. I told him that I had recently bought a new Stihl saw. Of course he wanted to see it, and I was proud to show him my MS-461R. He was in awe of it. Much bigger than he wanted, but loved it.

Anyways, to get to the point, he asked me to go with him and help him decide on what to buy. He caught me off-guard and I couldn't come up with an excuse not to, fast enough.

He wants to buy either a Stihl or a Husky. He did say he would look at some Echo's though. We didn't talk price, but he acts as if he'll pay what it takes to get a good saw.

I'm no saw expert and have never claimed to be one. I'm okay shopping for myself, but don't feel all that comfortable helping someone else spend their money.

He asked if Saturday was okay? I kind of hemmed and hawed, and said yes. :dumb2:

Imo for a home owner that's likely not going to use the saw very much I would steer him towards Echo. Great saw for the money and a longer warrantee. I'd recommend opening up the muffler a little and trimming the limiters but if he's not going to use it often leave it stock so he doesn't void the warrantee. Or maybe the Husky rancher saws are right for him..? Definetly would not recommend a Stihl. :surprised3: ;)

If I want to get out of a similar situation here I just recite a few Stihl and Husqvarna prices. :D

My old neighbor was instantly cured of any idea of buying a saw when I told him my small MS231 (which he had seen me use) was €500. :laugh:

I'd recommend an Echo CS-400. They are a good value and start and run easy for a homeowner saw. If the guy had anything that the 400 couldn't handle there is probably a friend with a MS461 that would enjoy helping him for a little while!

IMO, it's hard to make a recommendation without knowing what he would be using it for and under what conditions. If he is just an occasional user and with limited chainsaw experience I would steer him towards a homeowner saw. Until recently I had an MS250 which did everything I needed it to do on my properties. Recently though I upgraded to a MS261 as I will be using it to cut up firewood and clear trees that have fallen down on my 22 acre property.

2123 says his saw is not to touch wood or get dust on it hes afraid to break a nail if had to clean it

For most people who's chainsaws see medium to heavy use either the MS261 or MS461 will cover most bases. Very few people actually "need" anything larger than a 461 and i wouldn't want anything less than the 261 outside of occasional lady work [emoji1]

What does he need to cut? If small and real occasional, there are some good battery saws out there now, where you can use the same batteries and charger for other outdoor or construction tools.

lol maybe he wants one to have piss rev contest with 2123 ?

That is just karma coming back to bite you in the ass for the dig you threw out to JW and his sister.

I'd show him the Echo cs-590 for $399 and ask what he thought of the weight. If the 590 was too much for an older gentleman, look at the cs-400 or cs-450. The cs-450 is going to be close in price to the 590 though.

It also looks like Echo is doing the same thing with their new cs-500 as they did with the 600p insomuch as they drop the rim drive sprocket back to a spur, swap out the Power Match bar for a laminated Double Guard and replace the aluminum handle bar with a nylon substitute. MSRP on the 490 is $349 or $100 less over the cs-500.

If you decide you want to buy online, Echo will ship your choice to your local dealer for set up or to you via UPS if that is what you want. Here is a link to the prices and descriptions; http://www.echo-usa.com/Products/Chain-Saws

Imo for a home owner that's likely not going to use the saw very much I would steer him towards Echo. Great saw for the money and a longer warrantee. I'd recommend opening up the muffler a little and trimming the limiters but if he's not going to use it often leave it stock so he doesn't void the warrantee. Or maybe the Husky rancher saws are right for him..? Definetly would not recommend a Stihl. :surprised3: ;)
I guess Im confused.:dizzy:
Wouldn't using a saw often create more of a chance of using the warranty?

I'd buy new tuning caps. Pull the old ones re tune and install new caps. They won't know it has been tampered with and warranty will still be good. I herd it from a echo tech in mn

I have owned 2 echos from new never had a reason for warranty work I pulled caps asap and cat tune to run good. First saw was way older than 5 years old and worked just fine. My 360t is 4 years old with lots of use and not concerned about warranty

Back