MS 251 dual stud mod

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdind

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Has anyone here modified their Stihl 251 so it has two studs rather than the original 1 (threaded into plastic!)
The 251 is the perfect saw for me, except I just can't trust their ridiculous single stud design. I feel like I have to baby the saw every time I use it or transport it. There are also stories out there of the thread failing and the whole bar/chain combo falling off while operating at full throttle: scary!
I'm thinking of replacing the rear pin/post with a stud. Then I'll make a hole in the cover big enough for the nut and scrench. Might not be the prettiest but should make it much stronger and safer.
I'm aware of the 'Hot Stihl' thread but was wondering if anyone else has done the mod themselves (keeping the original cover). Any comments/ideas/photos are welcome.

Update: I called my Stihl dealer to order the parts. When I told the mechanic what I wanted to do, he told me it was not possible because the stud and the pin/post have different threads. He said he'd tried it and cracked the casing.
Edit: I took one of the studs out of my MS 250 and it fits perfectly in place of the pin/post on the 251 (same thread). I'm tempted to go ahead and do it but worried it will void my warranty.

if you are a professional working stateside a single osha violation involving removing a safety feature such as this can be very costly
the design is a safety feature to prevent exactly what you want to do, mainly using the saw for real work that is beyond it's intended use and design
not trying to be a nagging nanny but safety matters for you and your customers
Dave

if you are a professional working stateside a single osha violation involving removing a safety feature such as this can be very costly
the design is a safety feature to prevent exactly what you want to do, mainly using the saw for real work that is beyond it's intended use and design
Dave
I appreciate the heads-up, but I'm only using it on the farm. I strongly believe that changing it to a dual stud set-up would actually make it much safer. As stated above, some people had the whole bar and chain come off because the single stud failed. Having two studs would have avoided that.

I appreciate the heads-up, but I'm only using it on the farm. I strongly believe that changing it to a dual stud set-up would actually make it much safer. As stated above, some people had the whole bar and chain come off because the single stud failed. Having two studs would have avoided that.

I have run a 251 with a single stud and not thought about it twice. Ran it long and ran it hard 0 issues. IF you are that worried a drop of medium strength loctite will give you the piece of mind you are looking for. :D

We've had a 251 sliding around in the back of the truck for over a year now with no damage. I would worry about it.

Thanks guys, that makes me feel a bit better about it all.

Flip D, I assume (and I hope!) you meant to say "I wouldn't worry about it." Correct?

Looks like I might keep the 251 and turn it into a dual stud set-up if the first one ever gets ripped out (and once it's out of warranty).

Dave
Would you mind enlightening us as to how or why one bar stud versus two is a safety feature?

I reckon the 251 would be the same, although the cover would need work to allow room for the second nut. But I'll wait until the warranty runs out, just in case. I really don't understand why Stihl wouldn't put 2 studs for the traditional version, the thread is already there! The traditional version of the 180 has two, why not the 181 or the 251?

I reckon the 251 would be the same, although the cover would need work to allow room for the second nut. But I'll wait until the warranty runs out, just in case. I really don't understand why Stihl wouldn't put 2 studs for the traditional version, the thread is already there! The traditional version of the 180 has two, why not the 181 or the 251?

Well only to hazard a guess but seeing as Stihl and the other saw makers do extensive testing, be it failure testing , load testing.. it would seem that they have tested the saw and found that with the single bar nut and a guide stud are safe.
Much like the
MS 150 TC-E I bar nut
MS 150 C-E 1 bar nut
MS 193 T 1 bar nut
MS 193 TC-E 1 bar nut
MS 201 T 1 bar nut
MS 201 TC-M 1 bar nut
MS 201 C-M 1 bar nut

all pretty safe saws. I can say first hand the MS 251 that I used was responsible for 12 smallish to medium trees to be felled and bucked up. Then I went to swap out the chain and there was no hint of the single bar nut to be loose. Why not use it and check that single nut and decide for yourself. Personally if it is ok for the saws I listed then I see no issues in daily use.

I ran a 201 and then a 211 for almost 20 years, and in that time the nut has lossened up on me once, i did not torque it down. I noticed it as I was making a cut and shut it down. I can't imagine running the saw to the point where the nut / bar cover just fell off. I would have to be very tired or not paying attention ???. my single stud did loosen and i installed the oversized stud as a repair in the 211 and it worked fine.

I just picked up a 251 and I took a file to a used bar nut and scored a line on one side, installed and torqued it and right now it's at 7 o'clock. I'll take note of this each time I use the saw, keeping in mind where it is at the start of the run.

The clutch bell housing from my 211 fits the 251 so I'm able to use my old bars, ran half a tank through it this way and tore through some oak and some apple.

Has anyone here modified their Stihl 251 so it has two studs rather than the original 1 (threaded into plastic!)
The 251 is the perfect saw for me, except I just can't trust their ridiculous single stud design. I feel like I have to baby the saw every time I use it or transport it. There are also stories out there of the thread failing and the whole bar/chain combo falling off while operating at full throttle: scary!
I'm thinking of replacing the rear pin/post with a stud. Then I'll make a hole in the cover big enough for the nut and scrench. Might not be the prettiest but should make it much stronger and safer.
I'm aware of the 'Hot Stihl' thread but was wondering if anyone else has done the mod themselves (keeping the original cover). Any comments/ideas/photos are welcome.

You say it is the perfect saw for you but at the time of purchase was the single bar stud a concern? Is there another saw with 2 studs your second choice, but cost is a factor?

I would say run it and enjoy it. Make sure you don't over tourqe the nut and tear it out thinking tighter is better because you have only one nut. Proper stretch on the threads will hold it fine as the Stihl engineers designed it. Can you trust the system? If you are worried of one stud, sell and buy a 2 studded saw.

026/260/261 has 2 studs...time to upgrade to a Pro saw?

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

How you treat the saw will be the telling factor,
if you don’t notice the powerhead pointing at a different angle than
the bar, then don’t use a chainsaw.

People strip the studs on pro saws too, over-tightening, and prying the wedge
out with bar, pulling on the saw when it’s stuck, while others use their heads
and avoid such actions.

I used to give such people aluminium bar nuts, guess why.

If your not the type of user mentioned above, your saw will last a long time,
my father has one, and for its size it’s a great runner.

Dont loosen the bar nut and let all the dirt on the saw go behind the bar,
then you won’t have to over do the tightening trying to fix a problem
thats self made, I see people do this a lot.

"Don't loosen the bar nut and let all the dirt on the saw go behind the bar,
then you won’t have to over do the tightening trying to fix a problem
that's self made, I see people do this a lot. "

Good to know, I never thought of that, I'll limit myself to 1/2 a turn on the nut if I have to loosen it up to tighten the chain.

Cheers,

Latest posts

Back