Stihl 026 runnings problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris McDonald

Reaction score
Have a 026 that wouldnt run, gave it new plug and filters. Found a gasket on carb was leaking abd replace that and fuel diaphragm. Saw now runs and idle and chain speed were beautiful but it would die when throttled no matter where the h screw was set. Any ideas from anyone what the next culprit may be?

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

At this point id have to re seat and start over. Ive done it up and down thinking it may be starving at take off but it didnt seem to make a difference. I am a newbie to this stuff and just killing time

Ill have to pay more attention come monday. Im im a situation where as a sales associate at a dealer they decides to deem me the technician with no mechanic experience.

Expanding on what Chainsaw Jim advised, the low-speed set crew, if closed too much, will cause a lean mixture at low speed and supply a high idle. Then when you kick the throttle to high speed, the engine is initially starved for fuel and can actually conk out.

If you open up the low-speed set screw, be prepared to raise the main idle adjustment up a little. After that, you should be in good shape. Good luck, Chris.

Make sure that you have the gasket and diaphragm in the right order. Psi check the carb,fuel line and the saw. 15 min with your pressure gauge will tell you a lot about your saw.

Back