Splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alex

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Considering buying a splitter. Maybe in the spring they will be on sale. Just looking for some recommendations. Looking at a dirty hand tools 27 ton or a swisher 28 ton(I think). Not getting rid of the mauls, still have two sons that need those

Broken record but my DHT 22 ton has been amazing! Plenty of power large fuel tank and great build quality for the price.

Yep, I love my DHT 22 ton. It's pretty quick, more than enough power even it huge hardwood rounds, even crotches. Great price. Just need to put a table on it. It's been a great purchase.

A little more info would help the guys give you advice. Fireplace, furnace, EPA compliant fireplace, OWB? Personal use or selling firewood? Type of wood and even size of splits preferred. I use an owb so I built a 36" splitter with hydraulic adjustable 4 way wedge. If you only burn a small amount ( 5 cords?) maybe it would just make more sense to rent for a weekend and git r dun.
Don't own either one but I would say the DHT. I have several splitters and built my last one from scratch. The DHT looks well built for the price point and if it isn't exactly what you want it is a good starting point to convert to what you want. I have several thousands into mine and don't want to guess how many hours into the building of it.

It all depends on how much you plan to use it, how big the wood is and what kind of wood. My Huskee 22-ton has been really great, after the crap valve got replaced on warranty. I have split a lot of wood with it. Every year, they sell them for less than $1000 several times. I split elm, ash and some cottonwood. Elm can be a tough one occasionally. Unless you just want to spend the money, you probably do not need a 28+ ton. Your call.

I have furnace, Clayton 1802. Indoor, and I probably burn around 7-8 cords. Lot less this year. Splitting mostly ash, locust, sycamore and oak when I can find it. Mostly smaller stuff so a 22 ton should do the trick. I had been cutting them around 30" long but decided this year to shorten it up to maybe help with drying

Alex, after using my 36" splitter it seems to me that length isn't near as much of an issue with the drying as the size of the splits. Most people say that wood dries very little out the ends and that is my experience too. I split a bunch of poplar and the thicker stuff is still nearly as heavy as when it was split whereas the smaller sized splits are getting really light. Smaller stuff stacks nicer too. Doesn't take much longer to put the smaller stuff in verses the thick heavy splits either.
\what are you using to split the 30" stuff right now? Most splitters only handle around 24" wood max.

I have a 28 ton Swisher. It works good. Was used commercially for several years before I bought it and I used it for 2 years before I got my processor. I put around 1200 hrs on it.

Back