Big Homelite. What's considered the best?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homelitexl903

CAD...The struggle is real.
Reaction score
So a guy I work with told me he has a homelite 750 at his grandmothers house. He said it looks almost new under the dust he brushed away. He asked his Grandma about the saw and she said that grandpa bought it to cut up a big tree that fell in the yard and made boards out of it but doesn't think he used it much after that. From what information I have come by, this is an awesome homelite and would put my prized xl903 or c52 in its place. He wants my old artic cat snowmobile or a gun and cash in trade. Should I give in and add this saw to my homelite collection as the crown jewel?

Cash value is around $450 -750 for clean good runners. The 750 is a desireable saw. As far as the thread title, the best Homelite to me is a 3100 or 990g/995g. For direct drive I say 2100 then 750. The rest are good but not in the big cc category for modernish type vintage saws.

What do think makes the 2100 better than the 750. I have no experience with either i just know the 750 is only a few cc's smaller but has a lot more rpm. Thanks

What do think makes the 2100 better than the 750. I have no experience with either i just know the 750 is only a few cc's smaller but has a lot more rpm. Thanks
The 750 is more like a modern saw with lots of rpm but less torque than the older saws. Basically it feels like an 088/880 with 10cc's less, which is kinda what it is. The 2100 has less rpm but doesn't drop rpm much either and can be leaned on a good deal harder making it more ideal for 50" and longer bars. That said, there is nothing wrong with the 750 and with a 36" or 42" bar it is likely faster. To me it's like comparing a stock Husky to it's counterpart in Stihl. The Husky is faster but you can lean on the Stihl more. The 750, like the Husky, require a lighter hand and more careful technique but reward you with speed.

Well to some, any chainsaw or even any Homelite is desireable, but the post read "Big Homelite, What is Considered the Best". I answered per the parameters of the question as it applied to me. I am beginning to like some of the Homelite as well or better than my Mac's. I really like a 925 and my c91g as well as my 775g. And those ain't even the the big boys, though big enough. I would love to see how a 650 stacks up against a p61, bet that'd be close.

750s are nice, but I agree with sawfun regarding the price. Even if like new, they aren't made outa gold. For a long time 750s were at the top of my list of great saws, but over time its harder and harder to say its really the best. Like all saws, there's good and not-so good and besides, Homelite made a bunch of awesome saws in addition to the 750. 750s have carb boots that can either crack or turn to mush. Start sucking air and you can ruin a piston that ain't gonna be cheap to replace, that is if you can find one. The lower rear handle brace, even though beefed up over time, still is a weak spot, and they ain't cheap to replace either. Lots of parts are hard to find.... not impossible, but can take alot of time and hunting around and usually a nice chunk of change.

On the other hand, if you have the opportunity, I couldn't imagine passing up a 750 as long as the seller is reasonable. They're easy to work on, and if in decent shape hopefully only needs a boot, fuel line and filter and carb kit. Piston ported, hemi head, nice decomp system, dual chamber muffler, side adjust chain tensioner..... what's not to like!

Dan

I would love to see how a 650 stacks up against a p61, bet that'd be close.

A P61 will not like that match up very well at all. I know a PP655 didn't like it that well....

A good Super 650 is hard to tell from a 750 from what I have seen so far.

There is a reason though why I don't have either though. Dan speaks a bit about them, there kinda fragile really and you have to be careful when getting one that its not busted up. I will have one maybe sometime, "if" I find the right one.

A P61 will not like that match up very well at all. I know a PP655 didn't like it that well....

A good Super 650 is hard to tell from a 750 from what I have seen so far.

There is a reason though why I don't have either though. Dan speaks a bit about them, there kinda fragile really and you have to be careful when getting one that its not busted up. I will have one maybe sometime, "if" I find the right one.
We'll in the Pioneers favor is that it weighs considerably less. But thanks for the info.

The thing is with vintage iron, best is in the eye of the beholder. Many models of those old Homelites and McCulloch's fed families and supported commercial operations. SO what is your interest? Going back in time? Reliving those years? A historical perspective of the impact on the market?? Which has a "cool" factor? Which has the best resale? For me there are two components that make me want to have some of those old saws. First the concept of great designs past the test of time. Another way to look at that is are they still useful years after they have been obsolete? The second is their place in saw history. With me that's also blended with American history and in particular the industrial history that effectively build this nation. Both McCulloch and Homelite played a part in that. Homelite was a pioneer in die casting technology. McCulloch pushed the edge in performance two strokes. Much like Mercury Marine did in the boat world. So blend all that together and the Homelites that are of interest to me..and why are:

1) My dad's Homelite Super XL (12). All kinds of reason none having to do with the chainsaw hobby.
2) Homelite S-XL 925's. Because they are simply an azz kicking saw still useful to this day. Perform way better than you would expect. I actually still use one from time to time. AND they have been a big part of my saw life for many years.
3) Homelite 750. Big powerful saw that signified the best and last of an era. Big American iron. Truly a "machine" the counterpart is McCulloch 797's and SP125's
4) Homelite 540/8800. A transition saw. Also a blend of euro technology and a product of a dying corporate mentality. Some good design concepts mixed with terrible design's typical of corporate America of the time that lost connection with the realities of their customer base. A product of the 1980's politics as well. A symptom of the soon to be take over by Stihl & Husqvarna. BUT if the plastic handle doesn't crack or one of the many hoses doesn't split, a strong running saw with a Mahle top end with a port layout much like the big Jonsered/Husqvarna's of that time. (And big Stihl's right up until Husqvarna Patents ran out) AND if you can find a 8800 with the aluminum handle or the John Deere counterpart... grab it because it is a cool saw, but also a rare piece of history.

HAVE to mention the following:
Very easily could have "bit" into the gear drives. In particular the 77 through 770 and that entire class. Simply a rugged design typical of corporate mentality of the 1950's and 60's trying to build the best possible machine on the planet. The "Mack Truck" of chainsaw designs.. (East coast industrial mentality, where as McCulloch was west coast hot rod/ California) A design that kept gear drive saws in use and on the market years after the concept was obsoleted by euro direct drive saws. I actually bought a bunch of this class saw stuff to mess with and just gave it away to a trade school in Pennsylvania because I simply ran out of time and band width. Now with all the Jonsered and Husqvarna projects I may never go back there. Hope some one does as they too deserve focus.

Yea I bet... LOL Another big piece of old American iron... 1967 Corvette 427/390 L36 :) Another design that past the test of time and will perform well even with today's cars..:) Think Impala's had that 427 as well...even BIGGER American iron.

Well to some, any chainsaw or even any Homelite is desireable, but the post read "Big Homelite, What is Considered the Best". I answered per the parameters of the question as it applied to me. I am beginning to like some of the Homelite as well or better than my Mac's. I really like a 925 and my c91g as well as my 775g. And those ain't even the the big boys, though big enough. I would love to see how a 650 stacks up against a p61, bet that'd be close.
A lot of people talk up the 925 which I guess is good. I have a 924 which doesn't get much glory but I can't really figure out the difference. I guess there has to be some.

My favorites are the Homelite 8800, 750, 550, and then way down the line in cc's, the SXL. I've had my 750 for years and just flat out love the saw, and it idles like a cammed big block Chevrolet. The 550's I have run and run. To me they're a great saw that's balanced for many needs and uses. Full wrap handles only though. The 8800 is relatively new to me (Thanksgiving) and I haven't cut with it much yet. It too idles like a beast and I can't wait to get it into wood soon. I've never seen or run a Super 650 but imagine they're very similar.

Good luck to you if you do decide to acquire the saw. I'd love to see pics and learn more details about the saw: spike/dog setup, full or half wrap, size of bar and chain, and any broken or cracked parts? How is the muffler? Mine broke at the stack and I had it repaired several times until it was too far gone. I ended up getting a NOS one, but man, did I pay. Parting thoughts: Dan's comment on the boot is spot on. Plan on tearing the saw down and replacing the boot. It's worth the investment of time, effort, and energy and acts as an insurance policy for the big beast. Big saws are fun to work on! Max.

Latest posts

Back