Indoor wood furnace opinions...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beentown

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am looking into indoor wood furnace options. Let me know your experiences and tips. It is going to be an add-on unit to my NG furnace. I have plenty of wood. I am just now starting the search.

Can I tie the exhaust to my existing chimney for my NG exhaust?

I have a 1900 sq ft ranch with a partially finished basement. What size unit should I look into? Any other tips/recommendations are appreciated.

Have you tried a search . There's so many threads in this very subject that can help you make an informed choice

Thanks. Tried via Tapatalk (using Mobile device) with no luck. I rarely use the computer but will dig it out if need be.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I am looking into indoor wood furnace options. Let me know your experiences and tips. It is going to be an add-on unit to my NG furnace. I have plenty of wood. I am just now starting the search.

I have a 1900 sq ft ranch with a partially finished basement. What size unit should I look into? Any other tips/recommendations are appreciated.
Buy an outdoor wood stove and keep all bugs, ash and bark mess out of your house. Heated with inside stove for 15 years, now enjoy having it outside.

Buy an outdoor wood stove and keep all bugs, ash and bark mess out of your house. Heated with inside stove for 15 years, now enjoy having it outside.
Not permitted.

Budget?

I don't believe devices can share flues.

There really isn't a budget. I am dollar conscious but I want a good unit.

I want it to be as hands free as possible (on a thermostat) and be problem.

Do not try to tie into an existing Nat Gas vent. Nat gas will be on a 3 or 4 inch chimney and will not be designed for the high temperatures that a wood burner requires.

i have a wood oil boiler. we have been using the same flue for 40 years. i put a steel pipe in 5 years ago. i know codes do not allow it. but if you keep it clean. what is the harm.

tudra is baby brother to heat pro - as well as the caddy line from psg all are sbi ( large corporation) mfg ( canada). Kuuma is a family owned US ( MN i think) mfg unit. It is held in very high esteem.
Most area codes in the US will require a solid fuel appliance to have it's own unique flue assembly. I addition there are some slightly different requirements for the heat ducting as well, including the need for back draft dampers if sharing portions of the heat ducting with another appliance.

You will want a 6 inch flue and all metal ductwork with a least 2 inch clearance on the main trunk. You in Mass? May/probably have stricter code.

Good advice here. You will need separate flues for your two devices. If your NG furnace is rated for it, it might be cheapest to convert the NG to use a PVC side-vent, which would free up your existing 8" flue for the wood burner. This assumes that the 8" is rated and in good enough condition to use for a wood furnace.

There are a number of add-ons furnace manufacturers. I have a Charmaster wood/oil combo, but they make wood only add-ons in several sizes. (http://charmaster.com/wood.html) There are more, and while I don't have personal experience with others, there are good ones for sure.

Latest posts

Back