Buying a new saw what to get?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
remember this,,on this fourm,,if you own anything other than a stihl..you are considered to be a low life..............................and the owners of stihls are high class.............................

I am all Stihl (6) but only because they have the inboard clutch. I have had other (used hard) brands.

Any of the major brands sell professional saws also have good lines in 'homeowner' grade.

For a limbing saw I strongly recommend a top handle, Stihl 192T is good, especially if what you are cutting is brushy. At least borrow one for a try-out. I was amazed at how much time/labor that little saw saved me brushing out trees.

Harry K

Echo CS-400. Roughly same weight with a little more power than my Echo CS-370. Nice little saw. Price is nice too. + 5 year warranty. But I would gut the cat in the muffler and open it up a touch and pull carb limiters and richen up.

I have been looking for a 40ish cc saw. My list consists of the Dolmar 421 echo 400 and 490. Hard to justify the extra cost of some other saws / brands compared to the listed saws. Unless you want to give money away.

Your just a little biased Steve :laughing:
You think he is biased look at my sig.. LOL

MS 241 is a cracker of a saw. I sell a great many of them to the blokes doing the ash tree removal and they all love the saw. I always say get a saw where you can get good dealer support. In my Part of Ontario it is Stihl, where you are it maybe different. Nothing cheeses off a Husky lover more than waiting 2 weeks for parts.

You think he is biased look at my sig.. LOL

MS 241 is a cracker of a saw. I sell a great many of them to the blokes doing the ash tree removal and they all love the saw. I always say get a saw where you can get good dealer support. In my Part of Ontario it is Stihl, where you are it maybe different. Nothing cheeses off a Husky lover more than waiting 2 weeks for parts.
I only have stihls myself

Is the MS 241 a newer saw model? I never noticed it before. It is lighter and has almost as much hp as my MS 260 does. I barely use my 260 anymore, but I am young and have a good back. I like the speed over weight unless I am trimming or limbing only.

Echo CS400 or Husky 445 get my vote. The Dolmar 421 also seems to get rave reviews from owners.

Is the MS 241 a newer saw model? I never noticed it before. It is lighter and has almost as much hp as my MS 260 does. I barely use my 260 anymore, but I am young and have a good back. I like the speed over weight unless I am trimming or limbing only.

yes newer saw. m-tronic, lighter and close to the power of the 260. It is the weight that sells it most of the time. Ihave a couple of 024 av supers and they are a great saw.. ms 241 even better.

I just ordered a 16 3/8 bar for mine. What chain are you using?
I'm running LGX and it seems to be about a perfect match for my cutting...

standard.jpg

SR

Like others have said ... 40 cc saws - MS 241, Dolmar 421 and Echo 400 are well liked.
50cc Husky (550xp or 545) will outrun all the above at same weight or a few ounces more.

Every time I get close to buying a pricey 241, and I've been trying, all I have to do is run my 346xp and I just can't justify a lesser powered and pricey saw that weighs almost the same as my 346xp.

Imho, Husky 45cc (346xpOE) and Husky 50cc class (346xpNE, 545, 550xp) own the power to weight advantage. :numberone:

If you really must have just a slightly *feeling* lighter saw and don't mind coughing up the significant cash, then the 241 may be the ticket. (the CDN Stihl site says it's also 10.8 lbs so any weight savings *may *be in Rev 2 or in the bar and chain only)

If you want lower cost - Echo 400 (10.1 lbs) or Dolmar 421 (10.8 lbs), but I don't think any of them really offer much if any weight savings over the Husky 50cc (10.8 lbs) saws.
- - - -
Stihl 241 - http://en.stihl.ca/STIHL-Products/C...n-saws-for-forestry/21936-130/MS-241-C-M.aspx

Echo 400 - http://www.echo-usa.com/Products/Chain-Saws/CS-400

Dolmar 421 - http://www.dolmarpowerproducts.com/productcatalog/chain_saws_gasoline/ps-421/

Husky 545 - http://www.husqvarna.com/ca/en/forest/products/powerful-robust-saws/545/
- - - -

That said, low weight in a 50cc saw might suggest less robust build, but from my view, these Husky 50cc saws will keep on kicking for years and take a pretty good beating.
-

A small fuel sipping 40cc saw is great for small wood, sometimes a hot 50cc saw is to aggressive, loud and not fit for the purpose. I use my Japanese 23cc top handle much more than my hot german MS200t for this reason.

A small fuel sipping 40cc saw is great for small wood, sometimes a hot 50cc saw is to aggressive, loud and not fit for the purpose.
Another good reason to buy the Husky 550, easy on fuel, is quiet when left stock and has REALLY good power...all in a light package.

SR

Back