My new sawmill

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you.

Yeah, the rack and pinion is a wet dream, haha. I will try winch first.

As far as the lift joined together, I considered it, but I found it handy to level the log independently.

- Originally I used the whole clutch assembly from 372XP, but it would slip when the motor slowed down - now it is just the outside piece welded to a spindle, the goal was to be able to replace the sprocket ring when it wears out.

- Bar is lubed by gravity fed oil, I am afraid it is not enough and most likely will have to get some kind of a oil pump rigged.

- The electrical connection will be replaced completely in a week or two, this is just for testing.

- Also the V belt may need tensioner or maybe use sprockets an chain instead, the future will tell.

I like your rig. That is going to last a long time. As far as oil delivery couldn't you pressurize your oil tank with a Schrader valve, much like a garden sprayer?

Thank you, gents. I am redoing the wiring now, plus working on a blade support. I will try to drip oil directly on the chain instead of the bar oil port and see what happens.

The oil tank now is a gas tank from an old tiller, i would have to seal the cap somehow, but it certainly is interesting idea, thank you.

Oil delivery is moved right where the chain enters the bar, but I have to extended it all the way down, it spills all around.

Attachments

• DSCN3254.JPG
    DSCN3254.JPG
    136.6 KB · Views: 635
I tried to use winch, love it, much better than pushing the carriage.

Next step is to replace pulleys and v-belt with chain, it eats belts with amazing speed. Maybe a regular rubber belt would last longer, but I figured roller chain is better.

Attachments

• DSCN3255.JPG
    DSCN3255.JPG
    166.9 KB · Views: 93
I am using 24" Husky bar with ripping chain, may go to narrow kerf and 20" some day, not sure.

The aluminum block is milled to a taper to compensate for the imperfectly welded steel part. I think I will rig an arm to hold the end of the bar too, it shakes a bit on the beggining of the cut.
Very nice and creative work.

Well I tried to use chain and I will be going back to V-belt and build a tensioner. I did cut few boards with a chain drive, but the speed and centrifugal forces dried the chain completely free of oil. The chain felt like dry grass in my hand when i took it off.
On top of that, it was kind of scary :)

Nice mill!
I had the same thought about pressurizing the oil tank. Yard sale season is coming up, keep your eyes open for one of those hand held weed sprayers. Maybe try craigslist too.

$14 at lowes, holds 1 gallon. You could probably add a cheap pressure gauge somewhere to make sure you keep it pressurized each cut.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_285868-1306-190315___?productId=3192525&pl=1&Ntt=sprayer

Finally update. I made a belt tensioner from a discarded Subaru part I found in scrap bin. The link V-belt is just not made for this application, got my V-belts from TSC, it only took three trips to get the right size belts :)

Attachments

• DSCN3273.jpg
    DSCN3273.jpg
    239.8 KB · Views: 115
  • DSCN3272.jpg
    DSCN3272.jpg
    286.2 KB · Views: 111
To test the setup I slabbed chunk of oak I had handy. Looks like a winner, knock on wood, with this setup I can pop the breaker. With the V-link belts it would always kill the belt.
Also love the winch, it makes it so much easier.

Attachments

• DSCN3274.jpg
    DSCN3274.jpg
    321.4 KB · Views: 79
  • DSCN3270.jpg
    DSCN3270.jpg
    294.9 KB · Views: 89
  • DSCN3267.jpg
    DSCN3267.jpg
    354.4 KB · Views: 79
Oh, the oiling setup now works well, I drip oil right at the point the chain enters the bar and it keeps it nice and lubed.
Eventually there will be a second point on the end of the bar.

dscn3254-jpg.491211

Oh, the oiling setup now works well, I drip oil right at the point the chain enters the bar and it keeps it nice and lubed.
Eventually there will be a second point on the end of the bar.

The oil delivery point is too high and most of the oil will splash off the chain and you will lose most of it. The delivery point needs to be much closer so that it wicks out onto the chain. On my mills I have the delivery point less than 1mm above the chain/bar contact.

Also it looks like you have the delivery on the inboard spade meaning the oiled chain has to go around the outboard sprocket where some will be flung of by centrifugal forces.. It would be better to have it near the outboard end just after the chain hs gone around the outboard sprocket.

OK i read you are eventually going to add a second point.

Very nice setup man. I jus bought a property and am looking to build a mill as well. How do you like the chainsaw setup? I was considering making an alaskan mill for a chainsaw and building the mill with a band saw. What drove you to use a bar setup? Cost or ease of construction?

Latest posts

Back