Chainsaw shipping costs on eBay: Effective way to complain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
chris,, your missing what im saying...the saw will sell for under what its worth,,but the shipping cost makes up for it,, and ebay gets NO money off of the shipping........

I added the bold and underline.

Sometimes I'm a bit slow :confused: to grasp what is obvious to others.

I'm under the very distinct impression that eBay DOES get a portion of the shipping, even if indirectly.

think about this.... many have raised the rates crazy, because the money they have to pay ebay,,is based on the final item sale price,,not shipping...that's a way of keeping more of THEIR money....

chris,, your missing what im saying...the saw will sell for under what its worth,,but the shipping cost makes up for it,, and ebay gets NO money off of the shipping........

I added the bold and underline. Sometimes I'm a bit slow :confused: to grasp what is obvious to others. I'm under the very distinct impression that eBay DOES get a portion of the shipping, even if indirectly.

EBAY FINAL VALUE FEES ARE BASED ON THE FINAL SELLING PRICE PLUS SHIPPING AND INSURANCE CHARGES - the more the seller charges for ANYTHING the more Ebay gets PERIOD.

If you use online shipping and have regular daily mail delivery to your location, you can get free daily pickup of packages as well. If you prefer UPS or FedEx and are in a regular delivery area, they provide free pick up as well.

Vote with your dollars, if nobody ever buys from the guy with crazy shipping fees, he will eventually change things or no longer sell on Ebay, problem solved and you had to do literally Nothing :)

Dave

EBAY FINAL VALUE FEES ARE BASED ON THE FINAL SELLING PRICE PLUS SHIPPING AND INSURANCE CHARGES - the more the seller charges for ANYTHING the more Ebay gets PERIOD.

If you use online shipping and have regular daily mail delivery to your location, you can get free daily pickup of packages as well. If you prefer UPS or FedEx and are in a regular delivery area, they provide free pick up as well.

Vote with your dollars, if nobody ever buys from the guy with crazy shipping fees, he will eventually change things or no longer sell on Ebay, problem solved and you had to do literally Nothing :)

Dave
ebay must have changed their policy..even tho they are dolts, people were doing this for a while,,and ebay was none the wiser.. someone must have opened their big mouth........and I do wish,,amazon would start a auction site..and put them thieves ebay out of business.....

Ebay knew what people were doing, it just took them a while to figure out how to solve the problem. For a while people were charging large amounts for shipping even when they charged good amounts for the merchandise and some of the buyers were complaining about it. Ebay refused some sales when it appeared the seller was charging too much for shipping but realized they were losing fees that way so finally they devised a plan that benefited them when the seller overcharged but didn't actually stop the problem. You can charge as much as you want now and ebay doesn't say anything about it as long as you pay your fees.

Amazon fees are just as much for sellers when we looked into it, admittedly more than a year ago.
I use Amazon a lot as a buyer because we get prime so all shipping is 2 days and free, I never buy an item that is not prime. We get at least 2 packages a day so the shipping costs us about 14 cents per item

ebay must have changed their policy..even tho they are dolts, people were doing this for a while,,and ebay was none the wiser.. someone must have opened their big mouth........and I do wish,,amazon would start a auction site..and put them thieves ebay out of business.....

EBay definitely was wise to the low BIN prices with extremely inflated shipping. I noticed it quite frequently, it was esp common with people selling aftermarket guitar parts. I learned to carefully scrutinize the listings with the how-can-they-sell-it-that-cheap? BIN prices.....and 99% of the time the shipping cost more than made up for the low BIN price.

I did see some of the more flagrant listings get closed by eBay. But yes, it took eBay a while to find an across-the-board solution. The bad news is the honest sellers who didn't try to trick eBay out of its cut are getting hit the same as the dishonest sellers.

Ebay's solution was to punish everyone with higher fees, including the buyer, and enrich themselves only. I honestly think that ebay should be sued by the shippers, the Post Office, Fedex, UPS and others for charging shipping fees when they do not ship.

Yes, the buyer as well.

Such as me. Decent chainsaws are rare around here; Jonsered saws are extremely rare. I'd say 80% of my chainsaws and parts are eBay purchases.

Don't know what all the hupla is about but all is fair in love and war. I did $1060 in sales last month and total ebay fees were 11%.
Final value and shipping both set at 10% each . Palpay got a bit too but so does my bank for handling my money.

Been buying and selling for over 40 years and have always had to pay the help. Auction yards are in business to make money and they offer a service.

10-20% is standard.

If your loosing money then you aint doing it right.

Long before the internet I placed ads in the papers and paid to do it. That did not guarantee any sales either. When ebay came along it opened up a whole new world to sell your product.

In fact ebay was the reason I decided to purchase a closed chainsaw store inventory of which now most of it is gone..
Have made many friends through ebay which lead to many, many other sales so use it and learn.

A wise man once told me some kid asked him why he wanted so much money for a Vintage toy he was selling,

His response was, "Nobody said you have to buy it"

Besides chainsaws I also used to collect and trade vintage toys.
A $1200 truck.

Back