NEED a little bit of help 670 Jonsered

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frankc103

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Guys,
I have been on this site for years, sorry I'm not a big contributer, but more of a lurker and learner.
I have a 670 Jonsered that is/was what I thought a SUPER clean saw that I bought that needed main bearings. But after leaving the saw sit for 2 plus years before I got to it, now that I started to tear it down to put bearings in it I see a crack in the ignition side air flow casting of the main housing I'd appreciate some experienced help in determining whether this casting it no good to rebuild or not. If not, this saw is SO clean, it doesn't appear that it didn't get used hardly at even a little, which is why I paid a premium for the saw knowing it needed bearnings. If what you guys see is detrimental to rebuilding would anyone be willing to donate a 670 side plate side cover to keep a super clean saw alive? I have rebuilt 3-5 of these saws over the last 10 years and own 4 of this series of saws and have never seen a crack here. Really need some guidance for this. I'd hate to lose this clean of a saw because of this. The cylinder was super clean the saw didn't have a scratch in it, it is the cleanest saw in this series that I've seen is years, don't even know why the bearnings are bad other that it just must have sit so long un used that they got pit's in them from unuse. The saw is that clean. I'm really discourged at this point, ARGHH. I have the worst luck.

Attachments

• IMG_0386.JPG
    IMG_0386.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0384.JPG
    IMG_0384.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0383.JPG
    IMG_0383.JPG
    867.7 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0382.JPG
    IMG_0382.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0381.JPG
    IMG_0381.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 31
Som
Some more pics to reflect the pristine source that at I want to preserve.
Planed on doing this rebuild tonight, this weekend, sorry I'm being dependent without contributing. I am an unskilled wrench, that for the most part after 30 years fignurs out how to get it done. Dosen't mean I'm not a perfecionst, I am some what a loner that has really good mechanical skills but not great communicative skills. So I tend to learn and am some what tenative at sharing my experiences because I don't want to get bet up.. BUT, I could REALLy benifit here from someone who has seen this and can tell me what I should do, I don't see the crack expose itself on the botton of the casting, is this a common casting flaw and it is superficial, just don't know. Saw is just to clean to throw in the trash! The whole saw looks like it maybe had an 2 -3 hours of use. Still can't figure out why the bearings are so rough, but they are bad. Saw started and ran like an ape, but made some much bearning noise is was scary. You can feel the bad lower bearing just spinning the crank, so thankfully the owner just sold it to me, basically unused and I knew I'd have to replace the mains! But now I finally tear it down and see this crack and I'm wondering weather I shoud use this case to rebuil with. ****** part is I have this pristene saw and the part that matters the most looks bad, never thought I'd be here!

You sure that's a crack and not a scratch? You won't really know until you split the case apart. If it's cracked, your SOL until you find a new case half.

I'm no expert either but it looks like a scratch to me. Even if it is a Crack it's really not in a critical location. It does not go into the crankcase. I would not be afraid to rough it up and slap some jb weld on it.

I'm trying to give good pic's I think the best pic is 87.

Attachments

• IMG_0389.JPG
    IMG_0389.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0388.JPG
    IMG_0388.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 54
  • IMG_0387.JPG
    IMG_0387.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 56
I'm trying to give good pic's I think the best pic is 87.
Obviously, I've split the case, The pics show a split on the inside of the case too, I guess. I just can't believe this class of saw (not a home owner) could have this much internal damage with no external damage at all. This saw is pristine! I payed a premium for this thing because it looked unused for the most part, now I take it apart and it is grenaded at the core! My luck is the worst possible!!!!

Not crying cause I get it, buy used deal with the results. But the saw looks unused for the most part, some loose saw dust. I thought I was buying a put in a corner saw for 25 years and just ignored. I put gas in it and it fired right up and seemed strong, but made bad bearning noise, I figured as clean as the saw was it just sat in a corner of the garage for 25 years and got some rust on the bearings. WRONG.

I gues I'm left with trying to beg for a 670 tag side case that warrents being on this class of saw. By that I mean, I need something that matches this unused saw, not something that is hammered. I don't want to sound like some type of tool who is asking for something I don't deserve! I wasn't rebuilding this saw to resell, I love these saws. I'm so upset that I had this clean of a saw and reliase now it's trash that I'm sick. I just want to try to not loose the saw and if I can get a legitamiete 670 cover that isn't hammered to put it back together I'd look to save the saw.

To me, and I'm not very experienced in the matter, ive rebuilt lots of engines though, it looks like it's not a bad crack, if it were opened up, and could potentially cause any misalignment of any bearings, I'd say replace it, but it doesn't look like that's the case, I say sand it down to bare metal on the outside and JB weld it. If the crack is on the inside of the crank case where the crank is, I wouldn't put JB weld inside of there. If the other side of the crack is in the bar oil area or away from any bearings, I would sand and JB there as well. Hope that makes sense. What do you have to loose? If it doesn't work, then get a new case.

670 crack.JPG

You aren't doing a very good job of pointing out exactly where this crack is, the pictures are confusing.
Seems like it would be the one in the lower right/center on this pic but then the other angles you show on other pics makes me think maybe it's somewhere else.
I can't find it at all in the last set of pics showing the opposite side, need some circles and arrows or something.

In any case, you could almost certainly have it welded up, there are a number of members here that could do it easily, especially since it's so clean.

Being a Mag case, "wleding" will have to be done by a pro. I forget the requirements for welding mag, but i know it is intense (argon purge, blah blah). You could try jb weld, it may hold. I would rough it up with a carbide first.

But as wcorey said, It is kinda hard to see the crack besides the picture he posted.

At some point in the future I will have a pro side husky 61 case. It will be a 2 piece coil though, and orange. I know the 670 and 61 cases are the same. Just don't know which coil the 670 is rocking

Back