Looking for new saw??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

streetbros

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have been a stihl man for many years and know some of you will say to stick with them but I want to try something different. I have several 029/290s that I currently run. So am looking for something that can use the same chains but has a little more power/torq. I cut about 10 cords or so a year.
Thanks for any input.

I have been a stihl man for many years and know some of you will say to stick with them but I want to try something different. I have several 029/290s that I currently run. So am looking for something that can use the same chains but has a little more power/torq. I cut about 10 cords or so a year.
Thanks for any input.
don't change brands!! the stihl hardcores,,will curse you!!!! after all, god is to be worshipped.............:dizzy::dizzy:

I have a Stihl 021 and o66, and Husky 357 XP. All good saws. I do not like running both brands because the on/off switch functions in the opposite direction. Air filter on the Husky seems to be a better design, and the Husky has an outboard clutch, which is neither good nor bad, just saying. Myself, I do not care for it. Make sure your getting a bar that is the same gauge as the saws your running if your plan is to interchange chains. My 357 came with a 58 gauge bar and the adjustment pins are closer to the stud slot than the Stihl layout. I've yet to find a 50 gauge bar that fits and would have the same number of drive links as the o66 bar of the same length. Just have to keep chains and bars separated is all.

I was in the same boat . I was a Stihl guy also and cut many cords with my trusty 290 farm boss . The new auto tuned strato saws seemed to get great reviews so i did lots of research , tried some models out and decided to bite the bullet and buy the husky 562xp . Wow what a saw . You wouldn't think a few ccs more would have such a dramatic power difference . It was like night and day .the Stihl took twice the time to cut big rounds and it felt like lugging a cinder block around compared to the husky .the 562 with its power and features is the ultimate firewood saw in my opinion . I would buy mine again and skip the Stihl stuff .even the 362 is no match for the husky

Thanks for any input.

i will suggest a echo cs590
a very capable saw for little money. :chainsaw:

I used to have an 029 Super, it was a good saw. I bought a Stihl MS 261 a few years ago and had no desire to touch the 029 again. If you want a tad more power a 261 is great and is lighter, if you want a lot more power a 361 or 362 would fit the bill.
The 261 can use the same bar and chain as your 290/029.
I run an 18" .325 bar/chain on my 261 mostly and sometimes a 20" if the tree warrants it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I sold my 029 for a Dolmar 6100 and wow wow wow. The 6100 feels lighter cuts so smooth and has the power to run a 24" bar buried in hickory, hedge, oak. Like the 029 with an 18" bar on a 10" cotton wood stick.
Here is the 6100 against an 87cc 056 super.

Back