Thinking about a DHT

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just don't expect their 4-way to be anything more than wimpy...

SR
I try to keep knotty, knarly stuff away from the 4-way. I have split locust, hickory, ash and others without any issues. It does cut splitting time, but not necessary. I prefer the factory wedge over the single wedge from the 4-way kit, thinner and puts less stress on the machine. Even then, I have yet to stall the splitter.

I couldn't be happier with our 27 ton DHT. We also have the 4-way. Takes a second to switch between the single wedge and 4-way. The nice thing with both, is the adjustable height. We had a hiccup with the first 4-way and right away the company made it right with a new assembly.
Now that you mention, I remember that was you and they did solve things very quickly which was nice to see.

I've never quite comprehended the argument between the 22 ton thats a second or two faster vs the 27 ton. If you can afford either model why would you want the smaller version? Why limit your capabilities? To shave a 1/2 hour off your year?
To me it's like wanting a truck that will pull ANYTHING. Sure the 5.4 ford will do a great job pullin MOST stuff and is quicker off the line but the duramax will pull ANYTHING just a tad slower. (for the record I have ZERO idea about these motors it's simply an example)
Another thought is that guys that say their 22 ton will split anything you put in it I call BS. I've stalled my 34 ton. My son in law has stalled his 32 ton. My buddy has stalled his 34 ton.
Now you can buy what you want but in my mind if you got the cash go bigger.

I've never quite comprehended the argument between the 22 ton thats a second or two faster vs the 27 ton. If you can afford either model why would you want the smaller version? Why limit your capabilities? To shave a 1/2 hour off your year?
To me it's like wanting a truck that will pull ANYTHING. Sure the 5.4 ford will do a great job pullin MOST stuff and is quicker off the line but the duramax will pull ANYTHING just a tad slower. (for the record I have ZERO idea about these motors it's simply an example)
Another thought is that guys that say their 22 ton will split anything you put in it I call BS. I've stalled my 34 ton. My son in law has stalled his 32 ton. My buddy has stalled his 34 ton.
Now you can buy what you want but in my mind if you got the cash go bigger.
I can appreciate that in hardwood country but the toughest stuff I'll be splitting is knotty pine and the occasional twisted yard maple. I know that a 27t will literally cut right through an aspen log placed perpendicular to the wedge and it never stopped on anything I split. If I can save some decent coin and have a faster processing machine that works for me.

Who all sells these anyhow so I can price check? I think Lowes and Menards do at least. I have a coupon and a rebate check for Menards.
Menards doesn't sell them any more. At least not down here.

Sent you a PM also...

Only been a handful of times I jammed up my processor, I think it's about 25 tons and has a 6 way.
My little splitter is a Swisher? I use it once in a blue moon to chunk up big SOBs that won't go through either processor.

Who all sells these anyhow so I can price check? I think Lowes and Menards do at least. I have a coupon and a rebate check for Menards.
I don't think Menards carry's them normally, just for the black Friday sale...although the Forest Kings that they do stock look very similar to DHTs

I have 4 splitters , 3 from NA , one from Scandinavia , I don't have a DHT so take it for what it's worth , of all the Chinese splitters , it looks to be the one that has the best factory support and presence of all of them , buy the one that fits your budget and don't second guess yourself , if you get the smaller one , you can always noodle the ones that you know will give you grief , burn less gas , easier to more , bigger one , split ugglier , run a 4way , burn more fuel , heavier to move .
My 2 cents , YMMV , .

All you have to do is read the round before you split it and use some common sense. It's like anything, if you want to break it you can. Most people likely don't need the bigger ( usually slower) splitters. I was going to put a smaller cylinder on my 36" splitter to speed up the cycle times but decided that I lend out stuff often enough and some idiot will just break it so I bought the 4" cylinder.
If you are always splitting 40" dia stuff then you should likely be building your own splitter. I mostly split ash so I don't need a monster cylinder.

All you have to do is read the round before you split it and use some common sense. It's like anything, if you want to break it you can. Most people likely don't need the bigger ( usually slower) splitters. I was going to put a smaller cylinder on my 36" splitter to speed up the cycle times but decided that I lend out stuff often enough and some idiot will just break it so I bought the 4" cylinder.
If you are always splitting 40" dia stuff then you should likely be building your own splitter. I mostly split ash so I don't need a monster cylinder.
I won't ever be splitting big stuff as a whole round. I did some 25" Norway pine in vertical mode on my borrowed dht and even that was a pain. I did about a quarter cord and noodled the rest into manageable blocks.

Thanks for the nice words and support folks! We will hope to have some new stuff to share latter this year. As for bigger splitter v. smaller.....well my personal fav is our 28 ton with the CH 395, 17.5 gpm pump and 4.5 " cylinder. That said I have yet to see anything our 22t wont split!

Enjoy the warm winter, but dont be fooled....it'll turn next year so split away!!

svk, it's usually the crotches that are a problem so turning them so they split easier is the way to do it. I made both of my splitters with big side tables so when doing big rounds I can split chucks off the sides if needed and keep the splits on the tables to save lifting. I also use my flatbed truck for a round staging table.
IMG_20151228_164114.jpg

Thanks for the nice words and support folks! We will hope to have some new stuff to share latter this year. As for bigger splitter v. smaller.....well my personal fav is our 28 ton with the CH 395, 17.5 gpm pump and 4.5 " cylinder. That said I have yet to see anything our 22t wont split!

Enjoy the warm winter, but dont be fooled....it'll turn next year so split away!!

I'm glad I bought the 28 ton DHT over the 22 ton DHT, that I almost bought.

So fair I've not found anything it will not split, 40" maple.

Split a bunch of stringy hackberry also.

big round.jpg

DSCN8814.JPG

DSCN8821.JPG

Honestly they are a darn good splitter and a darn good company to deal with. I bought one and I love it.
I don't think you could go wrong. I would definitely buy one again.

Steven

I think DHT was great but may be outgrowing their support infrastructure, so beware. I have two of their splitters, but may not have them much longer if support doesn't get back to what it was. Msg me if you want details.

Latest posts

Back