Looking at the Englander 30NC stoves? Can't beat this price!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking at the NC30 and also the NC13 for a heat source in a 900 sq ft garage. Not well insulated but the NC13 seems a better size. Any thoughts on it? NC30 seems to get good reviews....is the NC13 as good?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Sundance

Some like the NC13 better because it does not source the secondary air from inside like the NC30 does. The OAK on the 13 supplies all the air. If you do not plan on running an OAK there is no difference, except for the depth (and volume) of the stoves. Personally I prefer to run my splits north-south and not east-west, so I like the added depth. Most of the time I do not fill my stove full and in that small a space, the 13 should be fine. My house is about 1700 sq feet total here. But this is mild winter Oregon, and we do not get any mid Atlantic blinding winters here, or even that much snow any more.

I would opt for the NC30 at this price though. My stove originated at the Englander factory when I ordered it from the HD store in VA. It took a week to get here. The local delivery was by a fly-by-night outfit. They were 2 hours late, and it was a weird Euro van driven by a pair of Russians. They had a ton of stiff in the van from returns of other shipped stuff, and they had to pry my stove out of the van. The shipping included delivery across one threshold though, so the 3 of us muscled it up onto my porch and into my living room. Delivery became drop off only soon after that, and then the free delivery deal went away on these stoves. I do not know how they make a profit at these prices. My guess is that the factory wants to ratchet down inventory to avoid taxes?

Dollar for dollar *there isn't a better stove than a nc30

Dollar for dollar *there isn't a better stove than a nc30

I have looked at many stoves out there for $1200 or even $1500 that are just the same as the NC30. Build quality, steel thickness, efficiency, OAK ready, etc. Dunno why people pay more, but they do. Englander also makes other stoves that are *exactly* the same as the 13 and 30 in the same factory but with different brand names that cost more. For me the NC30 was an easy decision with the HUD/OAK, WA state and later EPA III certification, as well as the cost. Delivered, my stove was $500. No sales tax. I got the $50 rebate from the IRS. Then I sold my old stove for $200. The old stove was installed with a sliding adjustable 6" flue on it, so it fit the Englander perfectly with no added costs (flue systems can easily cost as much or more than the stove). So I was out all of $250 for my new England NC30 stove (plus the cost to re-tile my hearth). I would not have replaced the old stove, but Oregon passed a law that I had to agree to replace the existing smoke dragon stove with an EPA II or better approved wood stove when I bought this house.

As said, a pipe damper can be used to control draft, but there are better ways to do so, i.e. plugging the doghouse air inlet hole, or other ways.

But where it can come in useful is in an overfire situation, closing mine would pretty much kill the secondaries in a short amount of time.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Back