Model 461 questions please help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Khntr85

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Yea guys I am about to buy a 461c model saw, and with all of the help from some really great people on this site, I have learned quite a bit about the model and what people who own it think about it.....I guess the most major question I have is what is the real difference between the 461c and the 461R model especially the oil output between the 2...... I am wanting to know what is the biggest bar I could run on the 461c, and know that the B&C is getting plenty of oil.... I mean you would think that if they say the saw will run up to a 32" B&C, that they would put a oiler that would at least keep up with the 32 B&C....... Any way guys I don't ever see me using over a 28 B&C, and it will probably be wearing the 25" B&C most it's life, but I would like to know from all you guys that have the 461c and 461R models think about the oil output, and the saws in general....

Thanks a lot guys and to all of you guys that I have PM'ed, thanks for corresponding with a guy that's so new to the site....proves what I could tell before I joined this site, that there is a lot of very smart, knowledgeable, saw "geniuses" on this site.... Thanks a lot kyle

Im not sure what a 461c is..never saw one of those.

Buy the R model , its got 300 bucks of afterthought upgrades for around 50 more bones.

The R model will oil your bar better from the HO oiler..not much else to it.

Ive got 2 of them currently..its one of my favorite saws.

Get it breathin better and buy a coil from a 460 if you like easier tuning and will do a lot of limbing with it..but not a necessity.

Sawmikaze, hey thanks for info man.... I just meant the base model 461 compared to the 462R, sorry for the confusion....do you still think it would benefit me to get the 461R model even if I will never use a bar bigger than 25 or a possible 28.....I am getting the saw with the 25 bar and really don't think I will ever get a bigger bar... What size of bar are you mainly running on your 461r's.... Thanks for your help much appreciated....

And guys what exactly do they mean by the HO oiler.... I understand the high output part, but does that mean the saw holds more oil or does it mean you can turn it up further than the base model.....sorry for all questions guys just tryin to understand it...

You know I would hate to buy a $1000 dollar saw And not be happy with something ya know. ...this is goin to be the biggest saw in my stable and I just want to have a big saw I can depend on for years... Thanks for clearing up all my questions guys!!!!!!

And guys what exactly do they mean by the HO oiler.... I understand the high output part, but does that mean the saw holds more oil or does it mean you can turn it up further than the base model.....sorry for all questions guys just tryin to understand it...

You know I would hate to buy a $1000 dollar saw And not be happy with something ya know. ...this is goin to be the biggest saw in my stable and I just want to have a big saw I can depend on for years... Thanks for clearing up all my questions guys!!!!!!
you will not go wrong with 461. the piston in the oiler allows more oil to flow.

I think the R is the wrap around handle. Plenty of times it would have been nice to have, but its not critical. HO Oiler, I've never adjusted any oiler on a saw of mine. From cut to cut I run it WOT, till it slings some oil and I'm good. Want higher oil usage, run thinner oil.

Sawmikaze, hey thanks for info man.... I just meant the base model 461 compared to the 462R, sorry for the confusion....do you still think it would benefit me to get the 461R model even if I will never use a bar bigger than 25 or a possible 28.....I am getting the saw with the 25 bar and really don't think I will ever get a bigger bar... What size of bar are you mainly running on your 461r's.... Thanks for your help much appreciated....

My 70cc saws live with 28..i dont really switch bars i just switch saws.

I dont think you can go wrong with an R model , if you dont like the wrap handle buy a half and sell your 3/4 and you still have the dogs , west coast cover and chip deflector and HO oiler..its a no brainer really...after you sell your handle your ahead of the game.

If you can swing the cheddar buy a 28" light bar over a standard 25" bar..its lighter and balances the saw way better..on stihl its only a 7 driver difference between 25" and 28", anyone thats made the change can hardly dispute its a better setup.

HO oiled just pumps more oil with the same size oil tank. In fact, it comes with a warning that it is possible to run out of oil before gas at the highest setting. In reality, I have not seen this, but my saw is ported, so it definitely goes through gas faster than OEM.

And does anyone know if the oiler the have on the regular 461 now the same as the one that was on the 460's.....

To clarify here... there is no 461C model saw as of yet. The 461 does not come with Mtronic or easy start or other C features. It is really a stop gap saw with a redesigned engine to replace the 440 and 460 saws that were EOL. They (Stihl) have a new design for the 461 (presumed to be the 462C-M, but maybe it will be released as the 461C-M like the 362C-M and 261C-M re-designs?). Rumor has it that the 461-replacement will be coming out this spring. It will be spring loaded to meet the new AV laws in the EU and US, and be Mtronic.

As for the HO oil pump availability in the 461 saws? The 461R model does >>>not<<< have the HO pump in it. According to the Stihl 461 North American IPL and WSM, only the RZ and Arctic RZ versions of the saw has the HO oil pump. The regular and R model 461 oil pump has a 17 cc/min. max oil output, and the RZ HO oil pump has 24cc/min. max oil output. The regular oil pump will keep up to a 28 inch bar well oiled. To run a 32 or 36 get the RZ version of the saw, or upgrade the oil control bolt and oil pump piston (as a pair) with the RZ oil pump parts to get the HO oil flow.

The oil pumps in the 461 are the exact same ones as in the 460, regular and HO. The oil pump base is also the same as the 361 and 362, but they have different control bolts and pump pistons to limit oil flow. Those oil pumps can be upgraded to either of the 460/461 parts if you want to run a 28 inch bar on either the 361 or 362.

Clear as mud?

What's RZ?

You mean my 461R stands for regular concerning the oiler?

Piss.

What's RZ?

You mean my 461R stands for regular concerning the oiler?

Piss.

According to the IPL, an R model 461 with 3/4 wrap does not have the HO oil pump, and the RZ model does. You may have an RZ model, or an R model if it has a 3/4 wrap.

According to the IPL, an R model 461 with 3/4 wrap does not have the HO oil pump, and the RZ model does. You may have an RZ model, or an R model if it has a 3/4 wrap.
How would a slow fellow like myself differentiate between the 2?

Wind thrown all I can say is wow, you simply cleared it up just like that.... I know understand how each model is different, thanks a lot... I think I will get my 461 before it can be changed to M-tronic.... Agian thanks and I wish u could buy you a drink lol... Thanks a lot kyle

If the 461 is gettin replaced whats the rescue saw gonna be ?

The guy i talked to last week at the dealer said the 441 is the saw thats goin away.

The 461 replacement saw will have all the various models as the 461 has now, including the rescue version. It will basically be the same saw as the 461, but with Mtronic and spring loaded (like the 661 is now). This has been discussed with dealers for about a year now, and is nothing news worthy. The 461 was only designed to be a short-lived saw until a newer model was designed. What model number the new 461 will have is still a mystery. What is more new worthy is that they redesigned and updated the 261 and the 362 with newer versions coming out of the factories in Germany and Virginia now, but they left the model numbers the same. No dealers that I know here were aware of these two saw changes at all. They are being released in Germany and Canada now, but not available here in my area yet. The 461 replacement saw has yet to be released anywhere that I am aware of.

The 441 is already gone from the inventory and will not be upgraded or replaced. The 441 saws are not available to order here in the west any more, other than existing stock on shelves. None of the Stihl shops I go to has them in stock any more. They are EOL.

Back