Splitting/Chopping Tool Review Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's too bad. Mine was wrapped too but had pretty heavy marring on the wrap that made it to the handle a bit but not chunks or bends. Shop the local TrueValue if u can. My closest one was 25 minutes away so I paid the shipping. You'll like it for the big ones when u get it Alex!

Ive got a few months on the truper 8lber and the x27 now. All hardwood and plenty of large rounds, i use the x27 70% of the time. Occasionally on some twisted maple ive been working on ill need the 8lb for that initial crack, then i go to the Fiskars. Otherwise, the 272xp carves it down to manageable splitting size. I handed it to a buddy who never splits wood anymore and he was pretty blown away. Still shopping for something in that 6lb class.....the 8lb really works me and hits that bounce are just jarring.

Here I mentioned this Helko Vario 2000 and I just picked up it's little brother. I have a bunch of axes and mauls and couldn't force myself to use it, it's too pretty. (cheaper than framed and matted prints too for wall hangings):innocent:

153btww.jpg

692ji8.jpg

"Wall Queens"?

Philbert

e528360dd4490e59677e305c8b1c2d7b_zps6d6b972f.jpg

Don't worry folks, Philbert will be here all week. Don't forget to try the veal.:D

Well I think axes make better wall hangers than chainsaws. I do know people who displays saws in living quarters too.

And? You say that like it's a bad thing....:laugh:

Funnin aside, those Helkos are sweet looking. I don't blame you.

IMG_20160312_172734.jpg

First wood split this year , hard to beat the comfort of a good hickory handle :)

Awesome!!!

Is the brown on the end just nature's accelerant that has worked it's way out?

The neighbors boy got a serious work out today between re stocking the stove house and Fiskars 101. I ran him into the ground from throwing cut pieces at him in a pile for the re-load then dad wanted him to split after we were done cutting.

He wasn't too keen on the comment of having him out there with wedges and a 12lb sledge to build up the muscles enough to efficiently swing the Fiskars.

The funny part was, the neighbor and I both replied that we were out splitting that way at a lot younger age than him.

after using the ox i gotta say the fiskers is a toy ( i was totaly smitten with it for about four years) fiskers is good for knot free straight grain wood but throw in knots or big wood and ill leave leaning on the pile i found iam alot less sore after a day of splitting when i got it i sanded off all the paint on the sides and polished with a hard arkansas stone and virtually no stick in the wood at all well worth' the $100 bucks that i paid for it the best splitting tool i have used(to bad it dosent say "husqavarna"not a sthil fan)

i actually grab it first i know its not going to stick and iam not going to swing multiple times to split the log plus the wife and thirteen yr old really like my fiskers btw not bagging on the fiskers its got its place but since using the ox i find i dont work as hard more mass= less swings hickory handle much better on my hands still use the fiskers on smaller stuff the real straight grain stuff

Back