Looking at a Dolmar PS421

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigcountry8530

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
After looking at different options I think I am going to get a Dolmar 421. I am looking for input on this saw. Please tell me any issues you know of with this saw and why I should not get it.

My cousins 5100 was an excellent running little saw . I wouldn't hesitate to buy a dolmar just be sure you can get it serviced locally if need be . Their dealers are far and few between it seems . Dolmar is great but I prefer husqvarna

No known issues with the 421 and they are a very strong running saw. If you can tune it yourself or have a good dealer(for any brand) that can tune it for you then that should be all need for a good many years.

I wish I had one to complete my line-up

I could probably replace the 32 and the 510 with one.

Hey Jere39 if you are going to show off your saws you could at least take a little time and clean them up. Pet peeve of mine, people who don't take care of their equipment. ;);)

I really want a 421. I think it would be the perfect fit between my 192 and 6100. Everyone who runs the 421 rave about them. The only people who complain about the 421 are the husky fan boys who think you should spend hundreds of dollars more for the 550.

I have two of the 421's. The only real problem I have ever had with them is they will cause you to leave other saws at home.

Mine are set up w 18" narrow kerf bars and Oregon 95VP chain. They FAR out cut what most 42cc saws will. I cut mostly hedge and locust, no problem.

Some will say they are too heavy for a 42cc saw, that is crap. The saws they are comparing them to do not have a full magnesium case.

Tough, dependable, w lots of power for their size. I run everything from 7900 to 421, if my two 421s were crushed today, I'd have two ordered in the morning. I guarantee I could heat my house, garage and shop w a 421.

I have two of the 421's. The only real problem I have ever had with them is they will cause you to leave other saws at home.

Mine are set up w 18" narrow kerf bars and Oregon 95VP chain. They FAR out cut what most 42cc saws will. I cut mostly hedge and locust, no problem.

Some will say they are too heavy for a 42cc saw, that is crap. The saws they are comparing them to do not have a full magnesium case.

Tough, dependable, w lots of power for their size. I run everything from 7900 to 421, if my two 421s were crushed today, I'd have two ordered in the morning. I guarantee I could heat my house, garage and shop w a 421.
One of the reasons holding me back from buying the 421 is I would use my 6100 less and I really like the 6100. Sounds stupid I know but hey the 6100 was a very large investment for me.

You would definitely use the 6100 less. My step dad ran 066's for the last 15 yrs and now they are gone.... He has a 421 and even when there is a 60-80cc saw setting there, he grabs the 421 for everything no matter how big the tree is.

BTW I'm not much better than him. 421 is my go to saw for anything under 20"

IMG_20160131_135211.jpg

Here is a pic I took to send to a good friend a couple of weeks ago to show him what a properly sharpened chain will do.

Dead, hard not punky, dead red elm, 14 in diameter log. 421 w 18" bar of 95VP SEMI CHISEL. I've seen 50 cc saws that can't pull chips like that.

You would definitely use the 6100 less. My step dad ran 066's for the last 15 yrs and now they are gone.... He has a 421 and even when there is a 60-80cc saw setting there, he grabs the 421 for everything no matter how big the tree is.

BTW I'm not much better than him. 421 is my go to saw for anything under 20"
I am waiting for when I can equip the 421 with an awesome total bar.:innocent::innocent:
I am hoping someday soon I will be able to get a 24" l&t for the 6100 with it.

View attachment 488827

Here is a pic I took to send to a good friend a couple of weeks ago to show him what a properly sharpened chain will do.

Dead, hard not punky, dead red elm, 14 in diameter log. 421 w 18" bar of 95VP SEMI CHISEL. I've seen 50 cc saws that can't pull chips like that.

Pretty sure that is my quarter there in your picture.

Hey Jere39 if you are going to show off your saws you could at least take a little time and clean them up. Pet peeve of mine, people who don't take care of their equipment. ;);)

My standard return to the garage routine includes a major blow-off with the compressor. Keeps them looking pretty good.

P1080110.JPG

Supposedly the easiest starting saw ever made. Never tried one.

I did try my just finished rebuilding it 346xp today, first pull on choke popped, second pull running hard. A half dozen fast cookies with it running hard. Still a few issues to sort out, but OK for now.

I have a good Dolmar dealer right down the road and I'd have zero issues buying one.

I bout one a few years ago. I put an 18" bar on it just for reach purposes and it pulls it with ease. Only thing that is kind of weird on it is the kill/choke switch. I've run Stihls for many years and it backward for for me. It's my favorite saw by far.

Back