22 ton DHT vs. 27 ton DHT?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pruning@trunk

CO2 Lover
Reaction score
If one could get either one which one would you get if the price was $899 for either one?

The 22 ton would have the fluids and the 27 ton would have the log table. Cycles times faster with the 22 ton of course.

It would be for a home owner doing 5-8 cords a year.

I guess..if you are splitting easier wood most of the time, the faster cycle time would come in handy. If harder to split wood and bigger wood and a lot of gnarlies, the bigger one.

I got the 22t & have no regrets. My wood is all Oak & Hickory but 15-20" stuff, few monsters. I do get regular stick time on some really nice larger splitters but couldn't justify the expense for my use.

i would get the 27t, cycle times wont matter if your loading by yourself its retracted by the time you scoop up a log, besides i have already stopped my 27t on a couple pieces, i think if i had the 22t might not have been to do them!

I opted for the 27 ton given the price on the 27 ton was actually 4100 cheaper then the 22 ton. Figure the extra tonnage would be handy on harder splits and plan to run 4 way wedge. I split for my own firewood not for business.

If the same price, the 27 ton, then again I paid 400 or so more for my 27 ton. After comparing the two, the cylinder on the 27 ton is 1/2" bigger and I have a log table. After splitting probably 8 or so cord, I couldn't imagine going witbout the log table, and I appreciate the extra tonnage. While the cycle time is slower on the 27 ton, I rarely have to complete a full cycle when splitting. I now have a 4 way for my 27 ton, and I'm hoping to reduce the splitting time. The DHT splitter run forever on a tank of gas. They are good machines with an excellent company to back them up. I have nothing bad to say about ours. I've ran some extremely knotty pieces of hickory thru ours and I haven't stopped it yet.

Some Menards are clearance selling off the 27 ton DHT for $899.00 straight up. Do a search if you live in the Midwest and you may find one at a Menards not to far from you. I found this out inquiring on one in CL that a guy is trying to sell for $1100.00. He let me know he got it at Menards during black Friday sale. I did not even know Menards carried these all I ever see there is a 22 ton Forest King and a 25 ton MTD. I did some searching online and sure enough found one in stock at a Menards 70 miles from me. Called them up to make sure they had it and it took them an hour to find it and get back to me. The DHT 27 ton was too good to pass up and I did nto even think of the 22ton anymore at this price point and it looks to be twice the machine vs the other Menards offerings of a 22 ton Forest King or the 25 ton MTD . I think Manards did not market these well for one reason or another so now they are clearance selling them off. If someone wants a 27 ton DHT for a pretty good price do some Menards online researching in your area and you may get lucky. Good luck I thought I would share. I have not even tried the splitter yet just got it and put it together.

How many people need a new splitter in a season? How many buy one in March-August?

Menards sold a bunch of these. They didn't sell out, and now they want them gone so they have more room for riding mowers and lawn chairs. That's how retail works.

22t dht here no regrets. Haven't had a round that stops it. Log table is a nice addition

dfe9e5cad83f6c07202620551312eb71.jpg

6b0e1195afa320811b127ad0855173d9.jpg

I have DHT 22 ton and 28 ton. Had a 27t for a short time. Message me if you want some details.

I have a 28 ton DHT splitter. I looked at and almost bought the 22 ton model, however I decided on the 28 ton because of the larger Kohler engine, which I believe to be a better overall engine then what is on the 22 ton splitters. The 28 ton has a faster cycle time then both the 22 or 27 ton splitters.

I've put some 40" maple and 48" elm through the spiltter and it split them open no problem.

big round.jpg

That one was a 40" maple. I have put several rounds of 48"-50" elm through that splitter also, handled it no problem. :)
Pray tell, how in God's name do you maneuver a round that large? I would be laid up 2 weeks trying to turn that thing.

Back