What are you building with your milled wood? merged

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wanted to build myself a new deer blind, and I got started my harvesting wind damaged tree's, mostly dead white pines,

standard.jpg

Then skidding them to my mill site,

standard.jpg

Cutting the logs out and milling them to the dimensions I needed,

standard.jpg

I only bought some PT 4x6's for the post going in the ground and had some old PT 2x6's for the rim for the post. Everything else I milled to the sizes I wanted,

standard.jpg

Anyway, I kept harvesting/milling and building as I had time,

standard.jpg

The 35 year shingles, were left over from a job and given to me by a friend,

standard.jpg

Time to mill some sideing!

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

The windows, I bought along the road, I think I have 20 bucks in all of them,

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

And I even managed to get a "meat buck" for my freezer out of it in the fall,

standard.jpg

Anyway, it's a GREAT place to spend time and watch the deer and turkey go by, even when I'm not hunting!

SR

I wanted to build myself a new deer blind, and I got started my harvesting wind damaged tree's, mostly dead white pines,

standard.jpg

Then skidding them to my mill site,

standard.jpg

Cutting the logs out and milling them to the dimensions I needed,

standard.jpg

I only bought some PT 4x6's for the post going in the ground and had some old PT 2x6's for the rim for the post. Everything else I milled to the sizes I wanted,

standard.jpg

Anyway, I kept harvesting/milling and building as I had time,

standard.jpg

The 35 year shingles, were left over from a job and given to me by a friend,

standard.jpg

Time to mill some sideing!

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

The windows, I bought along the road, I think I have 20 bucks in all of them,

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

And I even managed to get a "meat buck" for my freezer out of it in the fall,

standard.jpg

Anyway, it's a GREAT place to spend time and watch the deer and turkey go by, even when I'm not hunting!

SR
Nice job.

View attachment 489909 Cabinets, doors and flooring mostly. Musical instruments in the past as well as numerous structures.
Working on doors this week. Glued them together (8 of them) and shaped the door edges. An edge gives a door a more refined appeal. image.jpg
Will sand and hopefully apply finish next week. This wood was milled from trees taken down by a local municipal parks department.

Love that door, do you have more pictures of it somewhere? The wife wants new entrance door and I have some white oak squirreled away I could use. But doors are a huge job in my opinion.

Love that door, do you have more pictures of it somewhere? The wife wants new entrance door and I have some white oak squirreled away I could use. But doors are a huge job in my opinion.[/QUOTE

I can take more photos. For years I've made entryway doors. They really are easier than you imagine. The majority of the doors I make are arch-topped. image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg

My wife makes my insulated stained glass overlays. I'll tell you everything I know and you can keep or discard any of it as you wish. You CAN make a door.

Impressive! If my wife likes something better than custom doors, it would be custom door with an arch.

I have some experience - I made windows for my shop, some tables, some jointed boxes, no door yet. Also scored 8x80 jointer while ago, love that beast.

I will appreciate any info you send my way.

Thanks Shawn, I love the figuring in spalted maple, hoping to get my hands on some someday.

The lighter pieces are the sapwood, It's all walnut and will be finished with beeswax and mineral oil after I ease the edges. I did it end grain so that it's nice on my expensive Japanese knives

Back