New ds stove.. got questions..

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cimber

Reaction score
I have been running my DS Kozy King for the last day at my camp in troutville, pa. I went out tonight to check on it and I seen all this brown tar stuff coming off the smoke pipe. What is this stuff and why is it coming out of the smoke stack?

I am burning year old cherry wood. No coal.

I had the flu cleaned at the beginning of winter. Just been running the stove for the last day to test it out.

Any helps would be appreciated.

thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_1653.JPG
    IMG_1653.JPG
    857.9 KB · Views: 97
What Del said. That stuff is to stay inside. If you get those pipes hot enough, they will catch fire. That pipe looks to be the thin "vent type". I would get the thick stuff, get the joints in the right direction and loose the tape.

Your flue pipe is galvanized. While okay for oil furnaces, not okay for solid fuel. The galvanized coating will burn off during high heat, and is poisonous. Your getting what looks like a fair amount of condensation in the flue. From the looks if it, your burning too cool. What size of chimney do you have?

First off, thanks for all the informantion. I didnt know the pipe had to run in a certain direction. Now I do. The pipe is 24 gauge from my local HVAC supplier (not lowes). What do you suggest using instead of that?

You can see my setup in the pictures. We had a huge very old wood/coal furnace that had no more life left in it. It had a 9" pipe coming out the back into the chimney. You can see in the one picture the plug I have in the hole.

The new pipe goes into where the old oil furnace use to be. The oil furnace died too. It is a 7" hole which I necked down to 6" and ran all 6" pipe into the back end of the furnace.

The chimney is 8"x 13". Flue Tile and its 25' high. Chimney guy said it was fairly dirty( 5 gallon cresote was in it). It does have a steel wire opening around the top with a stainless hood. The wire is 3/4" x 3/4" chicken wire. Its more heavy duty than just normal chicken wire.

I have attached more pictures. I took them this morning.

Attachments

• IMG_1654.JPG
    IMG_1654.JPG
    769.1 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_1655.JPG
    IMG_1655.JPG
    845.4 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_1656.JPG
    IMG_1656.JPG
    889.1 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_1657.JPG
    IMG_1657.JPG
    805.9 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_1658.JPG
    IMG_1658.JPG
    970 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_1659.JPG
    IMG_1659.JPG
    719.9 KB · Views: 68
What does the manual call for? I'm no flue & chimney expert, but it looks like you have the wrong type of pipe installed, like the others said. The pipe should be rated for a solid fuel appliance, not a gas appliance. Pipe direction is important and there should not be tape on pipe for a wood/coal stove. When it comes to my wood stove pipe, I always err on the side of safety. Overkill is better - better rated pipe, extra heat shielding, etc. What does the manual call for clearance above your stove and pipe? It appears you might not have enough clearance in that basement for a solid fuel stove?

Stove pipe is what you need for the flue. It's steel pipe that's painted with a high temp paint. I don't know what your flue temps are, but with a run that long to the chimney, and the height and size of chimney, it will be hard to keep temperatures above the condensation point. If temps are not high enough, the smoke condenses into liquid, and creosote is formed. Make sure there's no leaks within the chimney itself, whether it's a cleanout, or the previous caps where the old appliances entered the chimney. Based on the number of entrances on the chimney, I would line the chimney with a proper sized liner. The chimney will stay hotter, condensation would be eliminated and likely, performance would be better.

Boy, lots of no-nos with that chimney setup.
Get rid of the galvanized pipe, and make sure it is put in "male side" down so creosote can't run out like that.
That is an awfully long (and flat) horizontal run from the furnace...10' is usually about as far as you are allowed to run horizontally, some say less.
When you replace the pipe, see if you can eliminate a bunch of those 90* bends, especially those 2 right off the furnace, that will give you a lot more rise on your run. Try not to use any 90s...two 45s are better than one 90 as far as flow. Make sure you are maintaining the required "clearance to combustibles" (CTC) with that pipe too
As Laynes said, line that chimney...an insulated liner will work the best...do this all the right way the first (second) time, and there won't be a third time... you'll gain performance and user friendliness from the furnace too.

man that thing must smoke like a bastard when trying to start it...a cold masonry chimney with a huge liner, along with the stove pipe with what looks like 0 rise:eek:
hard to see the chimney connection, but it looks like all you need is 1 adjustable 45 there, and just (1) 90 coming off the stove , that way the "horizontal" pipe has some "rise" to it...hot air rises, it don't like running horizontal!
as others have already said...change the pipe (no galvanized) and run it in the correct orientation (male side down) its the opposite of how all other duct work is run...and eliminate as many bends as possible, oh and forget the tape!

Everybody give you good advice here. I suggest to follow them all.
What I would do.
I would eliminate the 2nd 90 what come out from the stove and turn the 1st one turz the chimney and use a adjustable to go out. So now you have a rizing. So the smoke can escape easy.
But you have to get different pipes. I have just plain black pipes and works great.
Good luck.

Ds kozy Kings look like awesome furnaces I have drooled over them . In fact I almost bought one myself but decided on the max caddy instead . How do you like it for heating in the dead of winter and what burn times are you getting ?

Back