Hydraulic Log Splitter-concept question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Will you pay 200 more for a patented log splitter with 5 second cycle time?

• Yes

Votes: 9 40.9%
  • No

Votes: 8 36.4%
  • Depends on other factor

Votes: 5 22.7%

• Total voters

Mike B.

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm helping my friend to ask the log splitter opinion from the general public. He is working on a new log splitter with a special cylinder. It can cut the cycle time from 12 second to less than 5 second. (talking about a 22-27T machine). If this machine goes to retailer, it most likely to be around $1200. He is not sure if he should stay with online sales and small distributor or work into the retail word. He is worried the price may imp ace people's purchase decision. But on the other side, it's a patented cylinder that he got the permission to use from developer. Nobody else has this out the market yet. He asked my opinion. For me, speed does matter, but not that much. I may want to look at the whole design. How about you guys' opinion? If you can have a machine with a speed between kinetic log splitter and typical hydraulic machine, and pay about 200 more?

Build one and post some pics and a video. You'll get "real world" feedback here. This is what a lot of these guys do for a hobby, including myself. Some guys here also sell piles of firewood every year. The theory sounds good, but the proof is in the pudding, or so they say.
You can use the best and fastest cylinder ever made, but if the rest of the machine is weak, it won't be on the market long.

Build one and post some pics and a video. You'll get "real world" feedback here. This is what a lot of these guys do for a hobby, including myself. Some guys here also sell piles of firewood every year. The theory sounds good, but the proof is in the pudding, or so they say.
You can use the best and fastest cylinder ever made, but if the rest of the machine is weak, it won't be on the market long.
Sounds Good. I will let him send me the video and post here tonight.

Thank you for your suggestion.

Nice return speed , would he sell just cylinders ?
I don't know. I can ask.

There is another small tricky flow control valve to help besides the cylinder. I believe you need both to make this speed. I don't know much about the technology at this point. Can't explain quite well yet.

It is just a dump valve that recirculates the output of the valve in reverse back into the front of the cylinder. Makes the return stroke about twice as fast. Nothing particularly special.

WOW... Great return speed! As a consumer I guess I just give things the eyeball test and if it passes I buy. Again, I am about cutting more wood in half the time and love traditional hydraulics verse kinetics, so this really intrigued me. If the technology is nothing special than why has this not ever been brought out to me for purchase??? I have owned them all including DHT but it's always anywhere from 14-18 seconds for a cycle!

After seeing this little surprise should make us all stand up and say, "release this speed to us!" After its tested obi HA! Tell your friend to include the log table and I'm sold!! Thanks for sharing.

Video is disabled.

I'd be concerned about getting a finger or hand caught with such a fast cycle time. I'll admit it, I'm not perfect when it comes to splitting wood. There are times when a slower wedge is a comfort.

Actually its probably because there wasn't already a splitter on the market with that option for DHT to copy....don't worry though now they have something else to make a knockoff of...

The speed is on the return not so much going forward , I don't think the concern on safety is an issue .
The cylinder did appear to be plumbed a bit different than traditional as well .

Mighty Mouse Logging LLC

sorry about the video. He is creating a new one with more details. It will be on tomorrow for sure. Again, than you for your interest and sorry about the video.

Back