Has this MM been done ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No way would I put JB Weld inside a muffler. I don't believe it will hold up to that much direct heat.

J-B WELD can withstand a constant temperature of 500 °F (260 °C), and the maximum temperature threshold is approximately 600 °F (316 °C) for 10 minutes.
I have all sorts of epoxies but none that hold up to heat well.
Is there a graphite gasket material available ? Or something that could handle that heat??? I remember my grandfather had a sheet of thick asbestos cloth. He had me cutting it up for different projects for years. I doubt that stuff is still available.
I have to agree that it would be best to eliminate the extra hardware from inside the muffler. But I really like the stock cover.
I would think that a simple effective solution would be to sandwich the screen between 2 gaskets and install it between the muffler halves.

My intention for the advise about the homemade gasket was to incorporate the screen edges and it be permanent like an old McCulloch air filter. But you'd be better off just leaving the screen by itself as tighter mesh will gasket itself under the pressure.
Flex and vibration over time would definitely cause a small piece of bond or epoxy to break loose no matter how good of quality.
Many older models with two piece mufflers use this screen method with no gaskets.

There is no need for a gasket in addition to the screen between the muffler halves. You could put some additional metal tape over the case halves seam so as to protect the paper case gasket in case there is increased exhaust leakage along the bottom edge of the muffler.

My intention for the advise about the homemade gasket was to incorporate the screen edges and it be permanent like an old McCulloch air filter. But you'd be better off just leaving the screen by itself as tighter mesh will gasket itself under the pressure.
Flex and vibration over time would definitely cause a small piece of bond or epoxy to break loose no matter how good of quality.
Many older models with two piece mufflers use this screen method with no gaskets.
So you are saying just use a finer screen cut to the same outer profile of the stock cover gasket and it will seal itself ?
Should I switch from stainless steel screen to something softer like bronze ?

Any material should press tight as long as the mesh is the right size.
It's a very risky modification to use a screen inside a muffler without protecting the edge of it in a slot to keep the frayed bits from escaping.

What type of tool would you use the put the four holes in the screen if using it like a gasket? Also as already asked what type/size screen would be requires to be considered proper spark arrestor.

I just utilized what I had on hand.
Obviously I need to put more thought into this if I want to retain some semblance of the look I now have and keep the p&c safe.
Think I should find out the specs on stock spark screen before I move forward.

Latest posts

Back