Another fine, fun-filled day at the sawmill.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fred Wright

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Yeah, like anyone really cares, lol. But I'm a' gonna post it anyhow. :D

Had a busy day Saturday. For some reason I had the presence of mind to take the camera along. Went to the mill for a load of wood early in the morning. There's been no rain all week and the ground wasn't bad at all. Soft and still lotsa ruts but hardly no mud or standing water.

That front wheel isn't stuck. It's the normal sit rep out there at the ol' sawmill grounds. I've seen ground pushed up over a foot high in front of the tires. In 4X4 she climbs out of it. Bouncing over the ruts and banging over pieces of slab wood in the ground. The front bumper even dragged the ground when I backed up to the piles. Off-roading at its best. ;)

This is gravy firewooding. All ya need is a truck, a pair of gloves and a hookaroon. The bull work is already done for you. Dropping trees, cutting off the tops and limbs, loading and transporting 'em to the sawmill.

The mill saws 'em into timber, cuts the tailings into stove-length slabs and dumps it in a pile. All I gotta do is back up to the pile, pick out what I want and stack it in the bed for $20.00 a load. Granted, most of it has to be split but we've got a hydro splitter on site to manage that. Back up to the wood pile, pull it off the truck, split (if needed) and stack. Yep, it's gravy. And it's saving us some serious money in heating costs.

There was a bonanza of oak and ash on the dump piles. Didn't even have to go to the conveyor pile. I couldn't believe it. Backed up and scrounged over half a load.

With that area mined out I moseyed over to the other end of the dump for a recon mission. It was big honkin' oak slabs galore, even bigger than I'd already gotten. Big slabs make big stacks and I wanted all I could carry. Drove the buggy over there, backed up to the pile and finished my load.

It pained me to have to leave all that oak behind but I'd loaded the truck as high as I dared. Have gotta get some lumber to make stake sides for hauling wood. The truck can carry the load; problem is it can't be loaded much above the bed without stake sides. Long, thinner slabs stood vertical will hold a higher load. Thankfully I don't have far to go with it.

The banded slab bundles are poplar. They were out there last week, too. Not sure what they're destined for but I hadn't seen 'em out there until recently. There's plenty of it on the piles. It's a nuisance; just gets in the way of my oak scrounging.

Something I found odd... I was the only one out there getting wood. Usually there are several folks out loading up on a Saturday morning; they come and go. Not today. Maybe they've stopped getting wood because spring is near and firewood sales are slowing. A lot of the sawmill scroungers are there to get wood to sell.

With the truck loaded, I bounced my way back out to the pavement. Headed to the meat market for some T-bone steaks to put on the grill and cooked pig ears for the pudder dogs. We haven't had a good steak in a long time. Then it was on to the local Mennonite store. Picked up some lettuce for my lunch and salad fixings for the SheWolf.

Stopped by the liquor store for a case of lager and headed for home. Ya know, I just love showing off my slab wood loads. Like to run a few errands after leaving the sawmill. I'm not much to look at. Haven't shaved in a few days. But I thank the good Lord that I am able to get out and about. Just another curious old man in mechanic's clothes, dusty and dirty from loading wood, moving slowly around the store.

Got home and backed up to the woodpile. Put the beer in the fridge, salad fixings and steaks were left in the SheWolf's capable hands. Then proceeded to get busy on the second half of the day's work ~ unloading, splitting and stacking. Had more wood than I'd thought, it almost filled what room I had. Am guessing we need maybe 4 more loads to complete it.

100_1.jpg 100_2.jpg 100_3.jpg 100_4.jpg 100_5.jpg 100_7.jpg 100_8.jpg 100_9.jpg 100_10.jpg

Seems kind of odd they would have the slab wood back where it is with all the ruts. Most mills around here I've seen have the slab wood where it's easy for people to get at near the office where it's not very rutted or muddy. But I suppose mud and ruts can also be a cheap theft deterrent.

Yeah, like anyone really cares, lol. But I'm a' gonna post it anyhow. :D

Had a busy day Saturday. For some reason I had the presence of mind to take the camera along. Went to the mill for a load of wood early in the morning. There's been no rain all week and the ground wasn't bad at all. Soft and still lotsa ruts but hardly no mud or standing water.

That front wheel isn't stuck. It's the normal sit rep out there at the ol' sawmill grounds. I've seen ground pushed up over a foot high in front of the tires. In 4X4 she climbs out of it. Bouncing over the ruts and banging over pieces of slab wood in the ground. The front bumper even dragged the ground when I backed up to the piles. Off-roading at its best. ;)

This is gravy firewooding. All ya need is a truck, a pair of gloves and a hookaroon. The bull work is already done for you. Dropping trees, cutting off the tops and limbs, loading and transporting 'em to the sawmill.

The mill saws 'em into timber, cuts the tailings into stove-length slabs and dumps it in a pile. All I gotta do is back up to the pile, pick out what I want and stack it in the bed for $20.00 a load. Granted, most of it has to be split but we've got a hydro splitter on site to manage that. Back up to the wood pile, pull it off the truck, split (if needed) and stack. Yep, it's gravy. And it's saving us some serious money in heating costs.

There was a bonanza of oak and ash on the dump piles. Didn't even have to go to the conveyor pile. I couldn't believe it. Backed up and scrounged over half a load.

With that area mined out I moseyed over to the other end of the dump for a recon mission. It was big honkin' oak slabs galore, even bigger than I'd already gotten. Big slabs make big stacks and I wanted all I could carry. Drove the buggy over there, backed up to the pile and finished my load.

It pained me to have to leave all that oak behind but I'd loaded the truck as high as I dared. Have gotta get some lumber to make stake sides for hauling wood. The truck can carry the load; problem is it can't be loaded much above the bed without stake sides. Long, thinner slabs stood vertical will hold a higher load. Thankfully I don't have far to go with it.

The banded slab bundles are poplar. They were out there last week, too. Not sure what they're destined for but I hadn't seen 'em out there until recently. There's plenty of it on the piles. It's a nuisance; just gets in the way of my oak scrounging.

Something I found odd... I was the only one out there getting wood. Usually there are several folks out loading up on a Saturday morning; they come and go. Not today. Maybe they've stopped getting wood because spring is near and firewood sales are slowing. A lot of the sawmill scroungers are there to get wood to sell.

With the truck loaded, I bounced my way back out to the pavement. Headed to the meat market for some T-bone steaks to put on the grill and cooked pig ears for the pudder dogs. We haven't had a good steak in a long time. Then it was on to the local Mennonite store. Picked up some lettuce for my lunch and salad fixings for the SheWolf.

Stopped by the liquor store for a case of lager and headed for home. Ya know, I just love showing off my slab wood loads. Like to run a few errands after leaving the sawmill. I'm not much to look at. Haven't shaved in a few days. But I thank the good Lord that I am able to get out and about. Just another curious old man in mechanic's clothes, dusty and dirty from loading wood, moving slowly around the store.

Got home and backed up to the woodpile. Put the beer in the fridge, salad fixings and steaks were left in the SheWolf's capable hands. Then proceeded to get busy on the second half of the day's work ~ unloading, splitting and stacking. Had more wood than I'd thought, it almost filled what room I had. Am guessing we need maybe 4 more loads to complete it.

View attachment 491713 View attachment 491714 View attachment 491715 View attachment 491716 View attachment 491717 View attachment 491718 View attachment 491719 View attachment 491720 View attachment 491721
3/4 ton,,8 foot box,,and a pickup trailer....:D:D good stuff, Fred..good stuff..

Seems like alot of usable lumber is getting made into slabs?! We normally have slabs 2-3" max on the thick end.

Seems kind of odd they would have the slab wood back where it is with all the ruts. Most mills around here I've seen have the slab wood where it's easy for people to get at near the office where it's not very rutted or muddy. But I suppose mud and ruts can also be a cheap theft deterrent.
Actually, they do this. Around the front where trucks are loaded and offloaded it's all paved. Off to the side is an area where a few skip loads of tailings are dumped for folks who can't (or don't wanna) drive around back to load.

I don't pick from there for a couple reasons. One, I don't have to ~ prefer to leave it for the folks who really need it and don't have 4x4s. Two, it's a mixed bag and you have to settle for what's in there. I'm after 100% oak and ash. Same price, mize well load the good stuff. To accomplish this you gotta do a little off-roading.

Wow!! That's a serious pile of slab wood. Like a few others on here, I'd be their best customer at that price if I could get oak and ash. Being it's slabs, cut on one side and could air dry, I'd be stacking the extra 'as is' and making more trips as long as it was cool out. With a pile like that, it pays to make hay while the sun shines.. That set up looks good, hope it all works out well for you.. John

awesome story and pics!!! I'd be their 3rd best customer behind everyone else. lol. thanks for sharing. :)

Actually, they do this. Around the front where trucks are loaded and offloaded it's all paved. Off to the side is an area where a few skip loads of tailings are dumped for folks who can't (or don't wanna) drive around back to load.

I don't pick from there for a couple reasons. One, I don't have to ~ prefer to leave it for the folks who really need it and don't have 4x4s. Two, it's a mixed bag and you have to settle for what's in there. I'm after 100% oak and ash. Same price, mize well load the good stuff. To accomplish this you gotta do a little off-roading.

The mill that dad hauled logs for had their slab wood set up similar to what's in your pictures, but all the slab wood cut to firewood lengths was all put in 2 big piles, everything mixed together. Bundles of slabs were the same way unless you asked for only hardwood/oak/etc. only.

Last fall one of the amish mills near me was just pushing the slabs into the swamp to make more room and to get rid of it. They have a set up where everything is cut into 16" or less pieces and not many people wanted it. I bet they make it longer this year and just give it away. My BIL trucks for a mill and he burns the better stuff in his owb.

There's a company in over in MN near me that makes the wood flooring for semi trailers and all the scrap pieces they give away for free. It's all hardwood and kiln dried, but it's like buzzards to the carcass when they bring some out to give away. All the "buzzards" wait in the McDonald's next door until the scrap bins get wheeled out, they stopped giving out "free for all" wood for a while without calling and asking for it because of some fighting over it happened. The company also changes up when they give it out to try cut down on the "buzzards".

There's a company in over in MN near me that makes the wood flooring for semi trailers and all the scrap pieces they give away for free. It's all hardwood and kiln dried, but it's like buzzards to the carcass when they bring some out to give away. All the "buzzards" wait in the McDonald's next door until the scrap bins get wheeled out, they stopped giving out "free for all" wood for a while without calling and asking for it because of some fighting over it happened. The company also changes up when they give it out to try cut down on the "buzzards".
I sure remember that. :)

When I lived in Virginny hill country back in the '90s there was an oak flooring mill down the road. They didn't mill logs, just rough timber for tongue and groove flooring slats. There was always a huge pile of scraps out there. Free if you didn't mind loading it yourself. $5.00 if they loaded it for you.

That stuff was gravy... kiln dried, planed smooth and clean. Burned many a pickup load over the years. Yep, it attracted a lot of local wood-scrounging vultures, especially on weekends. There were trucks and trailers queued along the driveway, folks waiting in the lot to load, tailgating and passing the bottle around. I stopped going there on weekends; the wait was too long.

I sure remember that. :)

When I lived in Virginny hill country back in the '90s there was an oak flooring mill down the road. They didn't mill logs, just rough timber for tongue and groove flooring slats. There was always a huge pile of scraps out there. Free if you didn't mind loading it yourself. $5.00 if they loaded it for you.

That stuff was gravy... kiln dried, planed smooth and clean. Burned many a pickup load over the years. Yep, it attracted a lot of local wood-scrounging vultures, especially on weekends. There were trucks and trailers queued along the driveway, folks waiting in the lot to load, tailgating and passing the bottle around. I stopped going there on weekends; the wait was too long.
sounds like yo have it much better now, anyway!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! got 30 or so cords stacked away yet???? :laughing:

Latest posts

Back