stihl ms 661 cm project

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Go for it, man. I like that you have the cajones to take this on. I'm rooting for you!

Well I chop tops on perfectly good cars and trucks this should be a walk in the park

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Well got all my parts in today get the saw tomarrow getting nervous 500 is a lot to pay if it's a paperweight lol

Good luck man, hope you have the time to take it slow and enjoy it. i also had purchased a busted 661 and it needed a crank and piston so it was a full rebuild. The way they put the saw together is pretty cool, when i put it back together it took me a while to figure out the carb box wiring (should have taken a pic), and the front handlebar mount is way different than the 660s. And it didn't stay running when i started it, but once i did the recalibrate (start and keep on choke for 90 sec), then blip throttle and let run another 90 seconds, it did idle fine, and now i use this as my main saw. Its an absolute beast, very loud for sure, haven't done a muffler mod but did delete base gasket for .020 squish (had to shave off a little from the roof of cylinder manually with sandpaper glued to old piston) and 1/3 key advance

Well got all my parts in today get the saw tomarrow getting nervous 500 is a lot to pay if it's a paperweight lol

You would get your money back selling off the parts, so don't worry. Nothing on this model is cheap and there are not alot of parts kicking around used or aftermarket.

Dave

Ok so after digging into this bad boy it needs some real help I rebuilt the chain tensioner some of the threads were stripped got all the broken bolts out and know I need to weld the back hole up my $500 saw is getting up their lol went and got a tig welder I still my have my buddy weld it up I am a bit green to try this one uploadfromtaptalk1459036374481.jpguploadfromtaptalk1459036385235.jpguploadfromtaptalk1459036391529.jpg

Well. How's it look? Did the clutch cover and spike come with it?
It did have all that stuff I ordered new so I guess I have a spare at least I put the old dog on my 038magnum it fits not sure if I will leave it on or not not quite the same as the back one

Cool. With some welding and finish work hopefully you'll have a great saw. Do you plan on trying to weld the upper spike mount back on? ( if you have it)

Ow it's going to be a sculptured back on mite have to go with a custom deal lol it will look good I hope

Got it all back togather I ended up running with a helicoil seams to be working well I did order some tig rod from the local welding shop $167 for a pound not good but still need more practice with the tig before I get to crazy trying to fill that hole

Any one know what's good compression on this saw looking at about 135 psi.I was cutting up some green pine with my stock 20" 261cm that thing is a screamer seams to have as much power as the 661cm? It's running a square cut 28" bar seams to cut good but the 261 seams really strong and the 661 seams off runs solid not sure what to think

Should be closer to 150 i would think, what does your gauge read on the 261? Put the 20" on the 661 should cut like a light saber. May be running a little till it adjusts, but 135psi is on the low side, piston and rings look fine thru the exhaust port? Wonder what the squish is.

Back