Oleo Mac question.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave27483

Enthusiasts of the chainsaw
Reaction score
Has anyone tried the oleo Mac 962 or the 956?
(The Efco 162) for the USA
If so, I was wondering what your thoughts are ?
All the specs suggest they would be quite a good saw.
And to me they look quite good to. image.png

I have a Efco 156 it has preformed flawless for 3 + years. Only problem was replaced switch, would not shut off. I have heard of others with same problem. I would get the 162 no longer available in USA because of epa. Just make sure you can get parts. By the way I like it a lot my go to saw for that size.

It is an excellent saw with very good power. What you should not forget the saw is real old school! On the market since all most 20 years! So it still has the chain tensioner in the front of the saw, noodle clearance is not perfect, further no modern fuel economics. But it is still built today. I just bought a friend a brand new one a month ago so yes they are still being built today! That is what one would call a quality product over time, only being surpassed by the Dolmar 115 as far as I am aware of.
I have the 962 and like it A LOT! I am sure you have seen my videos.

You won't be unhappy with your purchase.

It is an excellent saw with very good power. What you should not forget the saw is real old school! On the market since all most 20 years! So it still has the chain tensioner in the front of the saw, noodle clearance is not perfect, further no modern fuel economics. But it is still built today. I just bought a friend a brand new one a month ago so yes they are still being built today! That is what one would call a quality product over time, only being surpassed by the Dolmar 115 as far as I am aware of.

know whats nice about this model over the old olys??? the oiler stops,, when the chain stops!!!! set the saw down for a bit,,and no oil puddle!!!

Thanks your your great reply, and thanks for sharing your videos, the saws sure looks and sounds quite strong indeed, I've owned a few huskys and stilhs and I'm craving something just a little different,
I was really surprised that they retailed here in Australia $500 cheaper than a 562xp !!
And going buy the specs it has the same power as a 562 and is a little lighter.
Not that I always belive the specs given

It is my only 60cc saw and yes it is an excelent choice in my eyes. There has been discusion that in real life there is hardly a difference between the 560/562 and the 555. So there might be a price reduction for the 555 in Australia.

I bought the 962 also because it costs almost 1/2 less than the rest of the top brands here across the boarder of Austria.

About specs, I donot really care because I see moving the cut wood as a much larger thing!

They are good saws for the money, with a caveat.
I've owned an Oleomac in the past. Great value for money, but when it starts falling to pieces (and it will) you'd just be better off buying a new one. Spares are available but may take more time than you'd like to get them and aren't that cheap when the price of a brand new Efco/Oleomac is taken into account.
Of course if you only cut a few cords a year and don't throw your saw around it may give you years and years of valuable service before needing replacement.

They are good saws for the money, with a caveat.
I've owned an Oleomac in the past. Great value for money, but when it starts falling to pieces (and it will) you'd just be better off buying a new one. Spares are available but may take more time than you'd like to get them and aren't that cheap when the price of a brand new Efco/Oleomac is taken into account.
Of course if you only cut a few cords a year and don't throw your saw around it may give you years and years of valuable service before needing replacement.
.........................................................................................ONLY STEALS!!! ONLY STEALS!!! ONLY STEALS!!!

When I was looking for a new saw, the pro's I spoke to all comentated "not like an italien stalion but like an italien bull". Not the fastest kid on the block but built tough like a bull. One fellow even complained that his is still running after years in pro use. He wanted something new but his Oleo was still running strong.

When I was looking for a new saw, the pro's I spoke to all comentated "not like an italien stalion but like an italien bull". Not the fastest kid on the block but built tough like a bull. One fellow even complained that his is still running after years in pro use. He wanted something new but his Oleo was still running strong.

yeah,,and with a bit of port work,,they will howl..gypo on here,,used to have a 999...was legendary.....

Back