16 GPM 2-Stage Pump Question...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'd like to buy one of these and replace it on a vintage Brave splitter that has what I think is only a an 11-gpm pump. It runs like molasses in January with at least a 4" dia. cylinder. This splitter has been in cold storage for over three years in a friend's shed. By some miracle, there are no leaks in the hoses, couplings, seals, etc. The engine is a 6.5 Hp Briggs and appears to be in very good shape. I have two questions that I think need to be answered first:

(1) Will changing the hydraulic oil filter (likely the original) and all the fluid speed it up any and give it new life?
(2) The 16 gpm pump calls for an 8 hp engine. What happens if the pump is connected to this smaller, 6.5 hp engine? Any potential engine damage?

Obviously if the 16 gpm 2-stage pump will cause trouble, I can drop down to the 13 gpm, but I'd like to hear your views on this.

TIA.

New fluid and filter should help. Use a fluid that flows well in the cold. The 6.5 isn't enough motor for that pump and it will stall. For a 4" Cyl the 11 or 13 is plenty.

OK, let's do this in 2 stages (no pun intended):
(1) Change the oil and the filter. See if the cycle time improves. Likely it will.
(2) Buy a new 13 gpm pump only if there is no improvement and forget the 16 gpm pump unless I buy a bigger engine.

Seem reasonable? The bigger engine would then require a ton of work including a different mounting hole pattern or an adapter plate and a new guard over it. I want to avoid all that.

I'd say you are on the right track. The filters come in different sizes of particulate they will stop. The bigger the screen size the better the cold flow rating.

6.5 hp will run 16gpm pump all day long no problem. They will split wood at idle. I've built like 10-12 in the last 3-4 years & they work good. I always use aw32 oil in all the splitters I build. Thick oil & cold temps don't play together very well. These pumps & valves are all adjustable & you can make em do what ya want. I've had good luck with predator 6.5 engines . I always use haldex pumps, & the knock off pumps may be just as good. Just my 2 cents.

6.5 hp will run 16gpm pump all day long no problem. They will split wood at idle. I've built like 10-12 in the last 3-4 years & they work good. I always use aw32 oil in all the splitters I build. Thick oil & cold temps don't play together very well. These pumps & valves are all adjustable & you can make em do what ya want. I've had good luck with predator 6.5 engines . I always use haldex pumps, & the knock off pumps may be just as good. Just my 2 cents.
GOOD info for ed.....

The 6.5 predator/Honda"design" are very strong engines and many who are not white racist/haters find them to function better, run quieter, smoother, start easier, use less fuel and the list goes on and on and on.

One thing you may have is a clogged tank/suction strainer that could be restricting your fluid flow. They are used in many hydraulic systems. Check/clean it/replace/remove before changing your hydraulic fluid to see if there is an improvement.

You should also consume adult alcoholic beverages with a close friend/family member while working on your new splitter.

The 6.5 predator/Honda"design" are very strong engines and many who are not white racist/haters find them to function better, run quieter, smoother, start easier, use less fuel and the list goes on and on and on.

One thing you may have is a clogged tank/suction strainer that could be restricting your fluid flow. They are used in many hydraulic systems. Check/clean it/replace/remove before changing your hydraulic fluid to see if there is an improvement.

You should also consume adult alcoholic beverages with a close friend/family member while working on your new splitter.
------------------------------
... "clogged tank/suction strainer" ..
You may be right. In fact, I think that could well be the primary problem. The owner who is letting me use this splitter knows practically nothing about it and can't find the owner's manual. Where is the tank/suction strainer? I will do my best to replace it.

P.S. The cold beer bar and grill is only 140 yards away from the splitter and the restaurant owner heats the bar with wood. Regardless, his customers want heat.

And, the tank-suction-strainer is usually located where? At this point I am trying to get a copy of a Brave log splitter owner's manual, originally bought in the early 1990's. The original buyer of this log splitter died four years ago. His son has no idea where it is.

I used to have an older brave splitter. Great machine!
I only had one problem and that was with the suction hose collapsing because it was not reinforced. Mine had an 8hp Briggs with a Barnes/Haldex pump and an Energy valve.

And, the tank-suction-strainer is usually located where? At this point I am trying to get a copy of a Brave log splitter owner's manual, originally bought in the early 1990's. The original buyer of this log splitter died four years ago. His son has no idea where it is.
If the splitter has a suction strainer it will be located where the suction hose is connected to the tank.

Brave was bought by someone and that company offers the manuals for free. They are just photo copies and blurry ones at that, but much better than a sharp stick in the eye.
Try google or duckduckgo 'ing brave logsplitter and you should be able to find additional information.
Why don't you post some **** of you splitter and perhaps a member here will have thd same machine. My guess is that chances are very good someond here has the same machine.

yes, even a 5hp motor will run that pump just fine.

You guys are giving me some excellent advice and encouragement. I need to clean up the machine a little and maybe slap on some fresh orange paint. I've built a sturdy support table in my shop to make it easier for horizontal operation. I think it has an 11 gpm 2-stage on it now, but I need to find the model and serial number to verify that. There's so much grime all over it that a complete clean up will be need just to find that info.

I used to think chain saws got dirty. Log splitter owners seem to let their equipment go to pot. At least this guy did during the past ten years. I wager he added a little fluid every now and then and that was it. Eventually the engine's starter rope got snagged up and he put her out to pasture. Three years ago he put new tubeless tires on it and then let them go flat, ruining the seams with the wheels. Once again, I'll post some Pics as soon as it looks presentable. I think best to start with new fluid, a filter, and a complete clean up.

I put this pump on a 7 horse briggs and it would not even come close to running it . Another thing to deal with is hose size a 1 inch for the filter instead of 3/4 . This is one of a few best moves I have done .but there were problems to sort out but real happy with the results . I bought a 11 horse HF engine an burn about half the fuel . This engine not at HF anymore . Maybe the briggs can do it . But most Likely there will be some problem to deal with . The challenge will be worth it .

A 6.5 should run a 16 gpm just fine. I have a 5 hp on my 11gpm and it has absolutely no problem at 2600 psi. A 16 gpm should be ok.

Back