Husqvarna 372 totally stumped with pictures

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

millbilly

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I own two of these saws and will never buy one again. Why you ask? They vibrate apart, I answer. This one has me totaly stumped, have no idea.

The saw started rattling, I'm thinking to myself wtf is it now and kept on going praying the thing would explode. Thats how pissed I am with this model saw and I have two.

Here are the pictures20160410_131919.jpg 20160410_131909.jpg 20160410_131954.jpg 20160410_132425.jpg

Most of the damage was on the exhaust port side, the air filter was in place, looks like something got sucked in. I have no clue how anything could get in the cylinder.

Hope to hear from those who know, thankyou Keith

Attachments

• 20160410_132014.jpg
    20160410_132014.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 73
Most of those impacts are the same size and shape on the piston. How did the spark plug look?, is it intact?
But I guess it would of probably shut down if the plug fell apart.
What ever it was, it was harder then aluminum.

Just a guess that the piston end needle bearing wouldn't see anywhere near the wear & tear as the big end. Agree that the 372xp is as good as they come.
Quite a few 372`s have shown up with broken big end bearings, they need more oil in the mix to keep them happy.

What kind of mixture do you run? Are the rings seized up in the grooves as well? I don't see them peeking out at all

That much hammering on the top of the piston can sorta pinch a ring groove a tad.
Also could be a few stray flecks of aluminum drifted into the grooves.
I'm getting an error message from all but one of the images, so I can't look for any other speculative theorizations.

Might also be the ring locating pin.
Did this happen with just the one saw or both?

I think your right on the locator pin. The pin on the intake side vibrated out a hair, caught the side of the intake opening and ripped up into the top of the cylinder. I can't compare it to a new piston, the meteor replacement piston only has 1 ring, is this normal?

i wouldnt be so quick to discount one of the best-selling, most reliable saws of all time as junk. No saw is "bulletproof". what was this saw used for mostly?
I didn't call the saws junk, I kinda liked them. Great power, responsive, and handle locations for perfect for me. But the muffler bolts, top cover screws, chain brake bolt, even the head bolts came loose! The second one isn't as bad only the muffler bolts and chain break bolt has come loose. I have to snug the bar bolts a little tighter than I like to or they come loose.

The saw has a 20" rail and I use it for bucking, the other saw has a 24" rail used for general purpose commercal tree care 8/10 hours of run time a week.

I think your right on the locator pin. The pin on the intake side vibrated out a hair, caught the side of the intake opening and ripped up into the top of the cylinder. I can't compare it to a new piston, the meteor replacement piston only has 1 ring, is this normal?
So it was definitely the locator pin? How old are these saws? No warranty left I assume?

But the muffler bolts, top cover screws, chain brake bolt, even the head bolts came loose! The second one isn't as bad only the muffler bolts and chain break bolt has come loose. I have to snug the bar bolts a little tighter than I like to or they come loose.

When you first posted about them vibrating apart I sort of dismissed it as bitterness, but now that I read this I have encountered each one of these at some point. I had a muffler bolt fall out a few weeks ago, our 41 constantly has a loose cover screw, and I agree the bar nuts seem to need to be tighter than Id like. The only time I had a loose head bolt was after replacing a gasket. I guess the gasket sealer settled/thinned down after running and they had to be re-torqued, so that was my own fault. Just like lug nuts, re-tighten after a few miles to make sure theyre tight.

Harley's seem to rattle apart as well and people still love them... :laugh:

Who sharpens your chains? Make your transferring all this vibration from the bar into he saw because your rakers or something is off to much?

Latest posts

Back