Husqvarna 372 totally stumped with pictures

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree it definitely ingested a hard foreign particle or as others have stated piston locating pin/rod bearing come a-loose, tending to believe the latter....

Quite a few 372`s have shown up with broken big end bearings, they need more oil in the mix to keep them happy.

Yup!!! Saw it also on some 385's and early 390's 40:1/32:1 is the ticket!!!!

I think your right on the locator pin. The pin on the intake side vibrated out a hair, caught the side of the intake opening and ripped up into the top of the cylinder. I can't compare it to a new piston, the meteor replacement piston only has 1 ring, is this normal?

Two rings originally was an EPA related change, for the US market. One ring generally is the norm.

When you first posted about them vibrating apart I sort of dismissed it as bitterness, but now that I read this I have encountered each one of these at some point. I had a muffler bolt fall out a few weeks ago, our 41 constantly has a loose cover screw, and I agree the bar nuts seem to need to be tighter than Id like. The only time I had a loose head bolt was after replacing a gasket. I guess the gasket sealer settled/thinned down after running and they had to be re-torqued, so that was my own fault. Just like lug nuts, re-tighten after a few miles to make sure theyre tight.

Harley's seem to rattle apart as well and people still love them... :laugh:

Bolts and screws that come loose usually are operator errors (lack of proper maintenance). It is a very common error though, I believe most of us are guilty to some degree. ;)

Quite a few 372`s have shown up with broken big end bearings, they need more oil in the mix to keep them happy.

i'm not saying your wrong at all but the tune is a major factor IMO. i've seen 372's survive some serious hours on 50:1. bottom end on all saws do like more oil though...............specially huskies :D lol

I run 50:1 mix. My storys gonna get a little better. I had a jug and piston kit, from meteor siting on the shelf.I Break the saw down and begin rebuild. The merteor kit comes with very small c clips, not the kind that go all the way around with a center piece that you can grab with needle nose pliers. Anyway while trying to get the second one in it popped out and I couldn't find it. I figured it shot out some where and was just lost. I had a spare one, that kind of looks like this @. I put the saw back together everything looked and felt good, saw fired right up. You rember that "C" clip I lost, and was looking for? I found it. It must have fallen into the case, then got sucked up and jammed between the piston and the cylinder wall so tight I had to use punch and hammer, to get the piston out of the cylinder. Leaving the piston and cylinder destroyed. I've always said you gotta pay tuition to go to college, and I just took a great course and learned tons.

If anyone thinks that situation "wont happen to me" ill call you a liar. Sorry you got schooled again millbilly. Those clips are a pain to install. I like the single tab clips but ive had the tab break off and do the same thing you had happen. I hope to graduate someday myself. Until then I just sigh, get a cold one and pet the old chessy and go at it again tomorrow.

Jb weld will burn off quickly once the muffler heats up.

I concur ,that is what it looks to be.
No I posted the problem, the ring locator pin vibrated out and cought the intake port on the down stroke and ripped up on top of the piston, you can see the tear or hole in on of the pics. I just finished putting the second jug and piston on, seems fine now.
I might throw it up on ebay and cut my loses.

A couple of guys around here had problems with clutch side bearings going out and the problem seemed to be caused from extremely low depth gauges. Once they started using recommended heights the problems stopped.

We have had a bunch of 372's and I just go over the bolts from time to time. The 385 had more bolts loosen up than the 372's.

Glad it was just the locator pin.

Back