Solo 665/681 Snellerized Style

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Speaking of finger ports...

I figured they needed more transfer area as well. You can't give them more time because they seem to demand a long blowdown, longer than any other saw I know of. Finger ports are simply one way to increase transfer area. I chose to go a different route on the 7910, and it really worked. Look at the main transfers, those towards the exhaust. Look how much smaller they are than the secondaries. In addition, when case matching the cylinder to the base, the base of the main transfer duct had to be widened towards the exhaust. I simply carried that base widening straight up into the actual transfer port and widened the port .100". This made them more comparable in size to the secondary transfers. Also impacting this decision was the fact that the secondary transfers cannot be widened like we often do. The ring end pin is in the way. I like how it evened up the transfers anyway, rather than making the difference even greater.

I also opened up all four transfer ducts. This goes against conventional thinking. We're usually concerned about transfer velocity and losing too much by adding volume. The saw wasn't where I wanted it to be, so I was willing to take that chance. It worked. Sometimes you have to be willing to roll the dice and risk a cylinder. Fortunately, it paid off that time.

I will be taking the same approach on this 665/8110. Hopefully I'll get similar results. If not, I'll begin moving the exhaust and transfers up just as Carl and Randy have found to work. I appreciate BOTH of their input. Each of us have our own ideas and styles. I think it works best when we consider and weigh in with what others are doing. We will still have our own styles, but can reach improve our own game with the input of others.

Brad, you said the main transfers were smaller than the secondaries. I wonder if Solos idea with that was to get a higher velocity stream going up through the mains, so it would come into the cylinder with more force, creating a wall that would help hold the mixture coming in from the wider/slower secondaries, thus to contain more air/fuel mix to make more hp.....but, maybe the air/fuel was coming from the mains a little too hard and starting to really stir up what came from the secondaries and pushing more air/fuel out the exhaust than what was wanted and hence the reason you found good gains when widening the mains and slowing down the air/fuel charge some in that port?? Or maybe it just simply wanted more transfer area all together, or perhaps a mix of both?? What do you think?

That would require a ring end pin relocation. Doable.
Maybe not. Brad I know your jug is cut already but right now I'm playing with a 272xp. 52mm single ring right in the center of the intake. Will it work. I have no idea. My lap top bit the crap so I can't look up piston specs on baileys. If someone would like to do that I would appriciate it. Pin to crown height is what I would be after the most! :)

Where does Baileys have the piston specs posted on their website? I'm trying to see specs on the page of piston assemblies, but am not finding anything. Maybe its because I'm on my phone and its possibly a mobile version of the page??

Where does Baileys have the piston specs posted on their website? I'm trying to see specs on the page of piston assemblies, but am not finding anything. Maybe its because I'm on my phone and its possibly a mobile version of the page??
You have to be on the desktop version. And ya can't get it of your phone I've tried. Lol. But it won't work. The 272xp piston is taller. Grrr. Lol. Spoke to soon!

A 272 piston won't work unless you use spacers under cylinder. A 281 piston is a bit better match, similar comp height, but skirts are longer and wider; they have to be cut down in order to clear the crank and case.

A 272 piston won't work unless you use spacers under cylinder. A 281 piston is a bit better match, similar comp height, but skirts are longer and wider; they have to be cut down in order to clear the crank and case.
Man your like a book of pistons! Lol!

A wide skirt piston was in the works for one of Nik's saws, but we got sidetracked a few years back. Opening up the transfers is a must on these saw if you can get the intake flowing enough. If you don't open up the transfers you'll over pressurize the case.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

The thread that Kevin linked to talks about the wide skirt pistons that EHP had Wiseco make. They were based off the 272 piston, only with much wider skirts, fully coated, and lighter than stock. They were used with a base plate and perhaps a popup.

I have a NOS, windowed 7900 piston that I wanted to try. However, I found that the skirts are .050" narrower than the new 7910 piston.

A wide skirt piston was in the works for one of Nik's saws, but we got sidetracked a few years back. Opening up the transfers is a must on these saw if you can get the intake flowing enough. If you don't open up the transfers you'll over pressurize the case.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

When you say "you'll over pressurize the case", how can you tell/or know that is happening? Does the saw tend to run a certain way? Just trying to learn something here, as I read through this interesting thread.

When you say "you'll over pressurize the case", how can you tell/or know that is happening? Does the saw tend to run a certain way? Just trying to learn something here, as I read through this interesting thread.

I was told to listen for hissing coming from the intake right after you shut the saw down. Too much heat/pressure vaporizing fuel in the case I assume.

Latest posts

Back