Stihl 028AV Woodboss

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil Lee

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
First post for a long time lurker here.
I have a Poulan 4000 I bought new in 1985 that still runs like a champ and a couple of newer saws(husky/stihl). I've been wanting a "0" series Stihl and stumbled up on a 028AV Wood Boss electronic quickstop with the end chain adjuster and bought it. I'm guessing maybe mid to late 80's in that configuration?? It reportedly just had a carb kit installed and did have a brand new chain on a 16" Stihl bar. I cleaned it up and cosmetically it is average. It seems to have good compression and hot starts, runs fine, and cuts like a demon with the 16" bar.

My question is when I was adjusting the carb based on what I've learned here, I ended up with a good puddle of bar oil on the bench. It appears that this model doesn't have an adjustable oiler. Does this sound normal or is there an issue causing this. It probably ran on the bench for 3-5 minutes while I was adjusting. Also, with good idle, acceleration, and slight four stroking at high speed that disappears in the wood, the low idle screw is only about 1/2 turn open????

Welcome to now being a AS member and making your first post. I enjoyed hearing that you are a original owner of a Poulan 4000 bought back in 1985!! I got lucky and stumbled into a deal on a 4000 about 4-5 years ago when going out to look at a McCulloch Super 33. I wanted a saw like the one in my first chainsaw memories of my dad making wood but this one was not the candidate I wanted, however the Poulan 4000 he had did come home with me!! I haven't used it for a couple of years but sure liked it when it was up and running........I think it's now in need of fuel delivery attention.

Sorry I have no input regarding your adjustable oiler question or your low idle screw adjustment, there will be others with plenty of helpful info!!

The Oilers on the 028 oil at idle, and/or anytime the saw is running.....thus the puddle.
Not really a problem unless you let them idle awhile while moving wood etc.

The Oilers on the 028 oil at idle, and/or anytime the saw is running.....thus the puddle.
Not really a problem unless you let them idle awhile while moving wood etc.

The 028 does not oil at an idle and the oiler only pumps if the chain is turning. A puddle after running and adjusting a saw is very normal. My bench is permanently soaked in bar oil.

Back