Husqvarna 350 comparison video with cut times!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This a great thread, thanks to the OP for all the effort/$$$ and time you put into it!! It was very interesting watch the videos and find out that the stocker with the MM was just not that far behind all the modded saws.

Kinda makes me think that I'll not mess with the nice 350 that I got from a good friend of mine that still has the OEM dished piston. He had bought it new so I've got the complete history of the saw. After I got the saw I did go ahead and do a 'mild' muffler mod that still allows me to use the stock screen but compared to the tiny stock OEM muffler exit it's probably 2-3 times that size now. I trimmed the plastic limiter tabs and have been happy with it's 'better than stock' performance!! I sure wish I would have taken pictures of the stock muffler before I started cutting on it. Probably some stocker pictures here on AS........I'll have to go do a search.

How much run time did you have on the fresh rebuilds ? Wonder if things might change with a few tanks of fuel and rings get seated in.
That may be, but don't forget all Matt's saws have 150+ comp. mine is 110 at best.
I'm betting Matt opens his saws up and they will really shine! When we throw a stock muffler on mine I bet we see what a real muffler mod does....

Matt I've been thinking...
We had those bars buried! Some guys like a torquey saw, others want a screamer for limbing. It's possible your porting is more suited to limbing and it would crush the other saw there!
There are a lot if parameters here...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A few questions come to mind. What kind of compression gauge are you using? It's very unusual that a saw can have only 110 PSI and still run well.

How were these saws tuned? I noticed that some are 4-stroking heavily and others no 4-stroking at all. Proper tune is absolutely essential, especially when looking for best cut times.

You guys really shouldn't do this to me, lol. You've got me wanting to build a 350! I've got a spare 346 cylinder looking for a home :)

BTW, a 25% difference in cut times is huge. That's easily the difference between a stock saw and a ported saw.

Mike what are the numbers on that hyway cylinder?
Stock no base gasket-Ex.112.5 Tr.137.5 In.77. Ported-105 Tr.127 In.77. I didn't write down how much I cut off the base but remember having to epoxy a lip on the intake bell for the hose to seal and I put motoseal on when I put it together. I've put 7-8 tanks of fuel through it and it's a running sob

I have a 2150 apart right now getting some love and I had planned to use the stock jug (probably still will) and port it etc but I noticed in this particular one, there is a relief cut around where the squish band meets the cylinder wall and it creates a step in the bore. If I lower the jug much more than .030 its right on the edge of hanging a ring in it. Has anybody else ran into this with one of these OEM 45mm jugs?

Brad,

Dan used 2 different comp testers on his stock saw... anywhere between 110 and 100 psi. That saw is a mystery no doubt. The test would have seemingly been fine w/o it. I would have easily accepted the results of the test w/o it.

I will be paying more attention to tune, but just piss revving I was simply listening for top rpm note. Not tached. At the ct gtg we can fiddle more...and slice this test any and every way possible. If the dyno is running, that may give us some insight as well as to what is going on. The WORST saw of the bunch was had a best time of 12 sec through the wood. The best saw was 9.4 sec. The stocker did 10 sec runs w/o too much trouble.

Hopefully we will get a chance to run an actual STOCK 350, an actual STOCK 346xp and do appropriate comparisons there.

This is an awesome test.

May I humbly suggest that you start a dedicated thread about this project?

I have a 2150 apart right now getting some love and I had planned to use the stock jug (probably still will) and port it etc but I noticed in this particular one, there is a relief cut around where the squish band meets the cylinder wall and it creates a step in the bore. If I lower the jug much more than .030 its right on the edge of hanging a ring in it. Has anybody else ran into this with one of these OEM 45mm jugs?

On the oem jugs there is a step in the plating where the side of the cylinder meets the top of the combustion chamber. Ideally these need to have squish band cut. same w/ the 346xp oem cylinders.

if you look at the comparison shot of the hyway 45mm cylinder, it is plated all the way up, smooth. this one i would not cut squishband on. but thats my personal view on that.

the more you lower a jug, the LESS likely of hanging a ring end... no?

Latest posts

Back