Lift gate use for firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I looked at lift gates a little, but they don't help you stack it and most are electric, putting a large load on the battery and alternator. I finally decided to build a hydraulic knuckle boom and call it good. It should run just fine on my power steering pump that is no longer needed. (manual steering) The way I see it, a knuckle boom can do a lot more things than a lift gate. Shoot, I could hang up a deer, pig, beef, etc without having to wrestle it. Shoot the critter, grab it with the boom, gut and skin the critter, place on hook in pole shed, DONE. This is just one of the reasons I have ignored the lift gate. If I am going to spend money to save time, I might as well save time on just about everything with the money I am spending. That boom would come in handy for placing posts too. :clap:

You put a knucle boom on your pickup truck??? Got any pics??? Lift gate would work better for me. I chunck up my wood at the place iam cutting most times.

Found one and got a great deal on it. It's a Tommy lift. Anybody else have one on there truck?

For stuff like loading in a welder, tires, etc it's usually quicker to use the lift gate.
That makes perfect sense.
I used them a lot when I hauled cans and bottles for a recycling company. They had big tubs and you would use an electric pallet jack to grab two of them that were stacked and drive them up on it and lift them into the truck. If it was a glass bin and can bin on top it was a pretty good load, but the lift didn't struggle a bit, that is once you managed to get the pallet jack to actually drive up onto the lift. Wet bin, rain, snow, ice and uneven or unloved parking lot's all played into getting it on the lift. I had good relationships with most the places and if they had a forklift they would throw them on the truck as fast as they could and I was out of there :hi:.

I think what I would like best about a lift gate would be using it for a feed table for the splitter. Stack maybe 3 rows high, lower it till the top row was level with the splitter table, keep raising till empty, then your ready to start over, Joe.

Thanks chipper1! Now just installing it myself or have a dealer do it that sells Tommy lifts.

I think what I would like best about a lift gate would be using it for a feed table for the splitter. Stack maybe 3 rows high, lower it till the top row was level with the splitter table, keep raising till empty, then your ready to start over, Joe.
That's what I would do also.
And it could be used on the ither side of the splitter in reverse if you are splitting wood at your house with a tractor or have wood coming out of a trailer and right onto the splitter which is my preferred method. When I'm splitting for my personal wood many times it will go from the trailer to the splitter and onto the bucket of my tractor. When my woodshed is finished I will the bring it tight inside and stack it out of the bucket.
Thanks chipper1! Now just installing it myself or have a dealer do it that sells Tommy lifts.
Welcome.
If you have the fab tools you could find one of the guys from that shop to do it on the side, most everyone likes a little extra cash in their pocket and having someone experienced could save you a lot of time, and also your back as that was your main reason for getting it :).

Good to see you finally found one and plan to get it mounted. Mine is still sitting on the fenceline but I've been thinking about mounting it on my 36" splitter this winter. And of course the Japa 700 is still sitting right where I unloaded it when I got home from the auction sale.
Some things never change.

Back