Inherited my dad's Stihl 011- has been sitting for 5+ years = ??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dunno what K8 is (maybe a run #?) but it's meaningless to end user....WT-29A is important part.

My friend is picking up a K10-WAT kit this afternoon which will save me a trip into town, so that's a good thing. The small shop that I have bought kits from before was out and had to re-order, however a place right down the road did for about 20% less.

Thanks to Ray Benson I was able to start looking over the IPL and ran across a couple of things of interest. The first is they/Stihl show two carbs in the IPL, obviously one of them is the one that you and I both have. I'm curious as to what the other carb is and if it might be something different/better/still available as a replacement?? I was told by a local parts wholesaler that the WT-29A is no longer available. (pictures are thumbnails/click for full size)
IPL Info.jpg

I also noted on the IPL that there is some kind of filter buried behind a cover that is accessed from the clutch side of the saw. Only thing I can figure is it's for the bar oil.......does it ever need to be accessed/cleaned/replaced?? I'm pretty sure it's never been dealt with since my dad bought this saw new in 1990.
What Filter Is This.jpg

18 looks like an oil pump filter. I've never opened mine up and won't unless it quits oiling.
Zama makes the C1S. I've never had one but seriously doubt it's any better than the Walbro. I've also seen where Walbro WA-99B has been used. I'd bet all these carbs are NLA. If I needed a new carb because check valve failed, I'd adapt some new 40cc-ish carb to fit linkages.

18 looks like an oil pump filter. I've never opened mine up and won't unless it quits oiling.
Zama makes the C1S. I've never had one but seriously doubt it's any better than the Walbro. I've also seen where Walbro WA-99B has been used. I'd bet all these carbs are NLA. If I needed a new carb because check valve failed, I'd adapt some new 40cc-ish carb to fit linkages.

I'll probably do the same thing regarding the oil pump filter, just leave it alone!! Thanks for your info on the carb stuff. How does one know if the 'check valve failure' has happened....it just won't start/run or ?? I did get the K10-WAT kit installed, correctly I hope!?? The only diaphragm gasket(sure a bunch in that kit!) that had the correct configuration on the suction/pumping side of the carb(not the needle/seat side) was a cellophane looking material which appeared different than what I had removed.

It's pretty tight confines in that airbox with the mounting of the carb and that pesky throttle cable. Unfortunately the gasket between the carb and the reed plate assembly is messed up and I'll need to get a new one in the morning. Hopefully the same place that had the carb kit will have the needed gasket!??? I'm kinda doubtful but gota try. If I have to order it I'll also order the gasket that goes under the reed plate and a new air filter just to know that everything is sealed up.

Gaskets and Air Filiter.jpg

Gaskets and Air Filter Part Numbers.jpg

Saw won't run properly, erratic, can't tune in. Make sure you replace exactly what you remove in the same order. As in, metering diaphragm is OUTSIDE the gasket and fuel pump diaphragm is INSIDE the gasket. "Cellophane looking material" sounds like a diaphragm, not gasket.

Saw won't run properly, erratic, can't tune in. Make sure you replace exactly what you remove in the same order. As in, metering diaphragm is OUTSIDE the gasket and fuel pump diaphragm is INSIDE the gasket. "Cellophane looking material" sounds like a diaphragm, not gasket.
Thanks for your directive. I installed the cellophane looking material(only piece in the kit that matched what came out of the carb) as the fuel pump diaphragm next to the carb body, gasket on top of the diaphragm and then the single screw cover.

I had gotten the metering side in the wrong sequence and now have gasket next to the carb body and the metering diaphragm(has a metal insert attached to it) next and then the stamped steel cover with four small screws holding it all together. I am going to get the gasket I need for under the carb this afternoon. Should be getting it back together sometime soon and see what happens from there!! I hope it runs as it should and no crank seal issues!!

It was sure great to finally hear the 011 start *and* run smoothly(again) this afternoon!! The kit in the carb, a new vent hose and new gasket under the carb.....I'm very happy that was all it needed and was not crank seals!!

I know my dad would happy and proud that his son got the saw going again. Dad was one hard working guy but when it came to mechanic-ing on small engines it was not his forte. He would have taken it to the shop where he bought it to get it back to functional operating condition.

I'm looking forward to making some chips with this saw!!

Latest posts

Back