Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, I've heard bad things about the cat mufflers...stupid exercise in EPA futility/power. From what I can tell, stuff for the 55 is everywhere. He could probably even get parts for it in that little coastal town, if not the next. I was thinking $150 tops just because there are so many of them out there. That's in-line with the craigslist sweep I did nationwide.

There's one in the AS Tradin' Post for $150 plus shipping from Kentucky. Low compression....I really don't want to do anything more than clean up the saw, replace fuel lines/filter, rebuild the carb and any other small stuff it requires. It's not fair to my other saw projects to get into rings and polishing the jug etc...or worse. I'll keep looking......

Thanks guys!

Kevin

I've sold a half dozen good running 51/55s locally for $100 each.......probably could get a bit more but the more you sell the used saw for the more the buyer believes it to be a "forever" saw and they are not.......good enough light duty saws....and used parts are everywhere......except cyls....I was on the hunt for a decent used cyl for quite some time and never did find one.....but again aftermarket is really cheap and the guys have been having good luck with 'em so I've read.... be a good choice for a decent short dollar saw....one thing about this series is they have a "rubber band" intake which will eventually leak as well as the impulse grommet.....probably explains the lack of good used cyls. if I have to take the carb off, these two items get replaced out of hand unless I know them to be new.....I keep a half dozen of each in stock all the time....cheap insurance.

OK..have a good friend that just moved over to the coast. He needs a small chainsaw and came to me. I told him Jonsered, but it could have been a little Husky too. I wanna get him something older and classy. Doesn't have to have electronic ignition, because I'll be working on it if it has any ills. I certainly don't wanna get him into electronics if that particular model has a bad record for module failure, or the replacements are crazy high/scarce. This saw needs to be really reliable, because I may only see it twice a yr. I love my friend but I've learned to video tutorials for whatever mechanical things I give him, or they'll get broken. He really tries, but he can't remember the little stuff. This is a guy that went under a bridge in an RV and couldn't remember his RV height....took both the AC units off the top.:omg:

Besides the 49SP, what are some of your other favorites? (Gotta be relatively available and not bringing huge prices on eBay).

Kevin

Given what you described, I'd lean heavily toward a newer model with parts that are readily available and cheap....because it sounds as though any saw he runs will most likely need some attention. Maybe a Poulan Pro 5020 or 4818 set up with a 16" bar. A 16" bar on an earlier 4620 would work, and that model re-badged as Craftsman can be found for good prices.

The Husky 51 has been mentioned. I really like mine, but I'm not sure how long parts will be 'readily available.'

Given what you described, I'd lean heavily toward a newer model with parts that are readily available and cheap....because it sounds as though any saw he runs will most likely need some attention. Maybe a Poulan Pro 5020 or 4818 set up with a 16" bar. A 16" bar on an earlier 4620 would work, and that model re-badged as Craftsman can be found for good prices.

The Husky 51 has been mentioned. I really like mine, but I'm not sure how long parts will be 'readily available.'

Thanks, Chris. I think I'm going with the Husky 55....plethora of parts out there and much aftermarket to support it. He'll spend the $150 or so to get a decent one. Robin's advice is wise to replace the rubber intake boot and impulse grommet if not sure they are new...I'll do that for sure. Last thing I want is an air leak & a scorched piston to deal with, because the saw will just sit until I get over there....six and a half hr drive.

I'd love to give him an old J'red like a 621, but it wouldn't be practical to support that saw for him. If I lived close, it would be no problem.

Kevin

I think I'm going with the Husky 55....
Kevin

That's a rock solid choice. Just be sure to instruct your buddy on how not to abuse a chainsaw--Don't keep cutting when the saw is making dust not chips, keep the bar oil topped off, keep the chain properly tensioned, don't push/pull/pry when the bar gets pinched, etc.

One thing I learned the hard way with my Husky 51--I'm 97% sure the 55 is the same design--is don't let it sit idling for too long because the exhaust will burn & melt the cover. My otherwise very clean 51 now has a nasty burn mark. I'm thinking that someone posted that Husky corrected the muffler design, but I'm not certain.

That's a rock solid choice. Just be sure to instruct your buddy on how not to abuse a chainsaw--Don't keep cutting when the saw is making dust not chips, keep the bar oil topped off, keep the chain properly tensioned, don't push/pull/pry when the bar gets pinched, etc.

One thing I learned the hard way with my Husky 51--I'm 97% sure the 55 is the same design--is don't let it sit idling for too long because the exhaust will burn & melt the cover. My otherwise very clean 51 now has a nasty burn mark. I'm thinking that someone posted that Husky corrected the muffler design, but I'm not certain.

That's going to be a struggle...the chain staying sharp part. I'm going to encourage him to take it somewhere and have at least two chains. No way is he gonna sharpen a chain. He's living in ex-loggin' country....bound to be a saw shop still around somewhere. Was that melted cover as a result of idling the Cat muffler....or just a bad muffler design?

I gave them a restored Electrolux canister vacuum with accessories as a house warming gift. When he was over here we did three short vids with his wife's digital camera, so that they could both enjoy and watch how to use the vacuum. But somehow, none of the vids turned out. Now, his wife won't let him touch the vacuum without the vids...she runs it though. Be the same sorta thing with the chainsaw, except his wife will make sure the vids turn out when I'm over there.

Kevin

Kevin, on the 51 I believe it's just a poor muffler design. At idle the exhaust the doesn't get "pushed" far enough way from the outlet. We were helping a neighbor with some storm clean-up, and I made the mistake of letting the saw sit idling rather than turn it off.

The guys on the Husky 'pig' site say the 51 and 55 are identical except for a few cc's. I have been offered one of each at the price I'm working with. The 51 is really clean with a new ring...the 55 is going to be totally rebuilt from the bearings up...stuff has already been bought and the owner hasn't been motivated to install them....now he is. Says he doesn't care if he breaks even, just doesn't want to lose money. These are both supposed to be straight-up guys.

The 55 could be closed port, I'll have to ask....I guess they did both over the yrs. That won't matter to my friend....he'll have his hands full keeping the chain sharp...lol.

Kevin

The guys on the Husky 'pig' site say the 51 and 55 are identical except for a few cc's. I have been offered one of each at the price I'm working with. The 51 is really clean with a new ring...the 55 is going to be totally rebuilt from the bearings up...stuff has already been bought and the owner hasn't been motivated to install them....now he is. Says he doesn't care if he breaks even, just doesn't want to lose money. These are both supposed to be straight-up guys.

The 55 could be closed port, I'll have to ask....I guess they did both over the yrs. That won't matter to my friend....he'll have his hands full keeping the chain sharp...lol.

Kevin

I'm guessing that most folks, outside of a few saw nuts familiar with both versions of the Husky 55, wouldn't notice the performance difference between the open and closed port jugs unless they were intentionally looking for it.

Lol...!!! What the hell is going on with the rear handle....set up for straight milling...start it and GO??? No way in Hell you're getting your hand in there.....

I see what he's doing;starts the saw and then moves that lever over under the trigger and locks it in place. I don't know anything about milling, but it will be a cold day in Hell before I'm around a 'locked' chainsaw running at full speed on its own.

Kevin

Lol...!!! What the hell is going on with the rear handle....set up for straight milling...start it and GO??? No way in Hell you're getting your hand in there.....

I see what he's doing;starts the saw and then moves that lever over under the trigger and locks it in place. I don't know anything about milling, but it will be a cold day in Hell before I'm around a 'locked' chainsaw running at full speed on its own.

Kevin

This saw was sold with a Jonsered sawmill set up.....the trigger control is for the remote throttle...so you don't have to hold the trigger all the time while milling.

Didn't get a pic of the whole setup......but probably will once I get the saw tuned up and a new ripping chain installed on the carriage and track.......pretty big unit not very portable......Saw is dirty but in pretty nice shape.......me thinks chainsaw milling loses it's appeal rather quickly.....I like my sawmills to be around 120 horse power......

Lol...yeah, I'm all over it at $999. Guy with a vid on the 111S in shorts and clogs, just letting the saw idle and occasionally goosing it. Impressive that is not. Seems to me if someone is even considering a saw at that price, they deserve a vid with it sunk into wood;both soft and hardwood.

Kevin

This saw was sold with a Jonsered sawmill set up.....the trigger control is for the remote throttle...so you don't have to hold the trigger all the time while milling.

Didn't get a pic of the whole setup......but probably will once I get the saw tuned up and a new ripping chain installed on the carriage and track.......pretty big unit not very portable......Saw is dirty but in pretty nice shape.......me thinks chainsaw milling loses it's appeal rather quickly.....I like my sawmills to be around 120 horse power......

I don't see what moves that trigger lever...should be like a solenoid or something...what makes that sweep UP to move the saw's trigger?

Kevin

Lol...yeah, I'm all over it at $999. Guy with a vid on the 111S in shorts and clogs, just letting the saw idle and occasionally goosing it. Impressive that is not. Seems to me if someone is even considering a saw at that price, they deserve a vid with it sunk into wood;both soft and hardwood.

Kevin
True that.......amazing how the seller thinks a video which only shows that it runs and revs up will help sell a saw priced at that level.

Latest posts

Back