.325rs vs 3/8rs vs 63ps picco

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SquareFile

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
OE346 and jonsered 2153 were used in my test. Both saws are muffler modded, squish set to .020 and tuned to factory specs. I didn't think they'd pull 3/8 as well as they did versus .325 but they did. Also if you have a 42mm top end and your thinking about buying a 44.3........don't!

You'd be amazed what Pico can do for times. I am also equally amazed at how quickly it dies in professional use for anything other than pruning. Here I am torture testing it with a ported 241 on an 18" bar , which oddly enough for a stihl bar, was an actual 18" in length. Wood is nearly seasoned ash.

161296915.jMH0hj9L.jpg

The PS chain is excellent cutting chain. The down side is the fact it doesn't seem to hold an edge as well as some other lp 3/8 chain and good .325 chain like Stihl RS holds an edge almost as well as regular 3/8

I run stihl and husky micro chisel 325 68dl on my 241 any chance I get. Very long lasting even when I hit dirty wood or the occasional metal wire or nail. It lasts so long in 3/8 that I import it from England or travel to Kilkenny instead of getting the full chisel the locals only seem to have.

Semi chisel/micro chisel also makes easier goin of massive hardwood projects I am always on.

163191233.395uW4Qj.jpg

162839364.uoclvvyl.jpg

Excellent test Squarefile. Appropriate size wood for those saws. I sent my local Stihl dealer so many customers asking for 63PS that he ordered a roll. He received the roll in three days from time of order.

Excellent test Squarefile. Appropriate size wood for those saws. I sent my local Stihl dealer so many customers asking for 63PS that he ordered a roll. He received the roll in three days from time of order.

I've sold all my .325 stuff except for one bar a chain. I have plenty of 3/8". That's my reason for the test. Muffler modded 45cc didn't have troubles with 3/8" so that's what I'll stick with.

I agree with other post that there's not much cutter life with picco.

I'm no pro and I don't run Stihl chain, but I run a lot of lo pro. I get very good cutter life for what I do with Carlton, Tri Link and VXL semi. As long as I don't hit anything anyway.

Oregon 91PX chamfer chisel can be quite fast if sharp, but the cutters are short and I've had loops where the cuttrrs were poorly formed such that the chamfer was more of a rounded corner.

Back