Stihl MS210 Won't Start Out of Nowhere

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtc16

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I have an ms210c that hasn't had a problem until now all of a sudden it wont fire at all when choked. Use to start like a normal saw- usually 4 pulls cold and choked to get a fire. Then a couple more pulls to start it. Now I can pull it choked until I need a rest and it never fires. Just wondering if there are any known fixes or things I can check before pulling it apart. I've never worked on a stihl so it could take me a while if I have to open it up.

Check for spark then check compression

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post your result and we can go from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can check for spark tomorrow, I'll see if O'Reilly will deliver me a compression gauge to use but if not I may have to let the saw sit for a few days. Probably won't be buying a compression gauge until my next job.

If it failed to start for the first time I would indeed check the spark. Ground the side of the plug to the engine with the plug wire attached, kill switch turned to "on" and pull the rope, should be quite a bit of spark. If you don't have spark you can try unhooking the kill switch wires and try again, if still no spark it probably needs an ignition module. If it has spark you can pull the muffler and check for piston damage. No need for a compression gauge unless the piston looks good, if it's all scarred up you or someone has a lot of work ahead of you!

Id start with the flooded theory. Pull the plug and see if its wet. If so turn the saw upside down with plug out and pull over to get gas out of crankcase. dry plug and try with no choke and full throttle. If its not flooded then start checking spark and compression.

I'll try taking the plug out and pulling the cord with it upside down. I had already taken the plug out and turned it upside down, I didn't realize you had to pull the cord too to try and unflood it. I put a new plug probably a month ago, I think it was wet though when I looked. I'll try to unflood it then check spark and pull muffler.

If it failed to start for the first time I would indeed check the spark. Ground the side of the plug to the engine with the plug wire attached, kill switch turned to "on" and pull the rope, should be quite a bit of spark. If you don't have spark you can try unhooking the kill switch wires and try again, if still no spark it probably needs an ignition module. If it has spark you can pull the muffler and check for piston damage. No need for a compression gauge unless the piston looks good, if it's all scarred up you or someone has a lot of work ahead of you!
If it is flooded, and you check for spark this way, you could have a homemade flamethrower!!!

If it is flooded, and you check for spark this way, you could have a homemade flamethrower!!!
Good to know, thank you

It was flooded, I turned it upside down and pulled the cord and fuel came out. It smoked a lot but it started. Thanks for the help.

And you see folks.........THAT is what this forum is all about! Helping out a fellow saw enthusiast! Congrats jtc16! problem solved!!
Best part is that what jtc16 experienced has also just helped dozens of others to learn how to diagnose a simple flooding problem! (including me! :))

Thank you - this answer just got me back up and running in 5 mins having never had a problem starting it in years - turning it upside down and pulling the start cord got rid if about a teaspoon of petrol from inside the barrel...!!
Happy days.

One thing to remember is only pull the saw 3-4 times on choke. Then switch to run/fast idle pull it a few more times judge its sound like if its trying to start pull it a couple more times or turn the choke back on if its not popping and semi starting. It really is a feel thing to know what the saw or any motor is telling you what it needs to start/run.

Back