Stump Burn

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fire67bird

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I recently cut down a pine tree that I would like to burn out the stump so I can pour a concrete pad where it used to be. My neighbor came over with a stump grinder and brought it to ground level. Then last weekend I dug about 18" down on one side and built 2 large fires in the hole and on top of it. The fires were successful in drying it out and burning away a couple of inches. This weekend I would like to make a serious dent in the stump and am looking for some advice on how to get it to burn better.

I assume you live in a rural area or else you'd get a visit from the fire dept.

Getting it properly stump ground would be the fastest and easiest. When you add the cost to the cost of the concrete, it becomes insignificant. Properly ground, it will be 10-12" below grade.

You can get potassium nitrate (stump remover), soak it into the stump and then add some kerosene and light it. It will burn and smolder for a couple of weeks (the potassium nitrate acting as the oxygen source) and slowly consume the stump. However, stump remover is difficult to get as it can be used to make a bomb and the gov't is trying to keep us safe by restricting the sale of it.

Drill some holes in the stump so you get a chimney effect from your fire. Add a fan to get your fire to burn hotter.

Does your neighbor have a stump grinder? Odd that they only ground it to ground level and not below ground...

Yeah he has a nice Vermeer tow behind grinder. I asked him not to grind it down further than grade since the plan has always been to burn the stump out completely or get an excavator to dig it out. He won't allow me to pay him full price since I'm his neighbor so I wanted him to get in and out as fast as possible. Either way I need to get rid of the stump to prevent the slab I plan to pour on top of it from cracking in the future when the stump rots away.

quick look on ebay shows stump remover is still fairly low cost, delivered right to your door, - just add some ground kingsford briquettes and some sulphur, drill a hole , and remove stump <G> Order too much and a black helo visit possible to take returns ?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-5LB-STUMP-REMOVER-32015/161829200359?_trksid=p2047675.c100010.m2109&_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIC.MBE&ao=1&asc=36467&meid=1d4e44d56e1b4f0c95fad616ac088fa9&pid=100010&rk=4&rkt=16&sd=272232372615

At 5 times the price you can get fffg already mixed.

Of course, not as effective as acetone and hydrogen peroxide.

For the kerosene previously mentioned, add so ammonium nitrate fertilizer for dramatic effects.

Oh, don't try this at home??

BTW, don't do any stump burning within a few days of going to an airport.

I cut down a large ornamental maple a couple of years ago and am finally getting to the stump. I tried using a 55 gallon drum open on both ends as a chimney and built a fire on top of the stump after soaking it with diesel fuel. Didn't work.

I tried drilling holes in it, then soaking it again and starting it on fire. Didn't work.

I got my chainsaw and cut a deep tic-tac-toe pattern in the stump. Soaked it again with diesel then poured gas on top and lit it. It burned for several hours and took most of it down to just below ground level before the rain put it out. I will do the same thing again after it dries out.

I've never tried this, but I wonder if you can turn a stump into a rocket stove. Plunge cut twice straight down from above to make a + shaped vertical channel deep into the stump. Then plunge cut in from the side into the bottom of the + shaped channel to feed air in. Pour some fuel in, light the + and see what happens. Getting air to come in from the bottom of the stump should help.

Here is an old farmers trick. Get some saltpeter and drill holes in the stump and poor the saltpeter in the holes and let sit for a few weeks.
Then build your fire on the stump. The saltpeter will make the stump and all the roots burn as well.
It will even burn underground.

You'll need an excavator for the dirt work anyhow right? Just dig out the stump.

When I was a kid, another kid spilled some burning sterno in an old ash stump in a city park. No flame or smoke was visible, but the next day the stump was gone and there was a one foot deep hole in the ground with ash ash in it. Over the next two weeks, three other elm and ash stumps disappeared. None of the live trees in between seemed to be hurt at all. That was the first time I ever heard of fire moving laterally underground. It was late August when the ground was good and dry.

When I was a kid, another kid spilled some burning sterno in an old ash stump in a city park. No flame or smoke was visible, but the next day the stump was gone and there was a one foot deep hole in the ground with ash ash in it. Over the next two weeks, three other elm and ash stumps disappeared. None of the live trees in between seemed to be hurt at all. That was the first time I ever heard of fire moving laterally underground. It was late August when the ground was good and dry.

Used to be underground fires not far from here. Burned on the coal.

Back